References for detailing?

AlbertD

Did something kinda silly today. Even though I have the Tamiya F4U-1A on the way from Sprue Brothers I stopped by my local hobby shop today and they had the F4U-1D for $25 less than online dealers so I bought it. I couldn't decide if I wanted to fold the wings on the first one or not. Now I can fold D as a Navy version and do the A version as a USMC bird. 

1 hour ago, AlbertD said:

Did something kinda silly today. Even though I have the Tamiya F4U-1A on the way from Sprue Brothers I stopped by my local hobby shop today and they had the F4U-1D for $25 less than online dealers so I bought it. I couldn't decide if I wanted to fold the wings on the first one or not. Now I can fold D as a Navy version and do the A version as a USMC bird. 

You wont regret it. The 32nd Tamiya F4U series is one of the most lovely fitting kits you can build in any scale.

6 minutes ago, Jennings Heilig said:

You have obviously been exposed to the sickness that afflicts all of the rest of us.  There is no cure, not that anyone would need a cure.

The good news is you'll have twice as many models in your display case as you would have before!  And if you're doing one with the wings folded, PLEASE build it with the flaps up... Actually for that matter, whether you're building it with the wings folded or not, built it with the flaps up.  About 98% of F4U pics show them parked with the flaps retracted (per the pilot's manual).  Yes, it looks cool with the flaps hanging out, but having drawn serious blood from my scalp on more than one airplane, I can tell you that any crew chief or armorer would want those monsters as out of the way as possible.

Have fun with it!  I've got a -1D here and I'm trying to decide what markings to put on it...

:)

J

They do look cool with the flaps down but I want to be historically accurate if I can. If flaps up is correct that's the way I'll go. I will try to follow reference photos of a particular plane for weathering and everything.