Academy F/A-18c Hornet

Squizzy 78

As a break from my 1/200 USS Arizona project, I've been working on a legacy hornet. I'm planning to throw pretty much everything I can in the way of aftermarket gear into this project, and see what I can come up with.

The jet I'm planning to build is from VFA-86 Sidewinders from 2004.

For this project, I'm using the following aftermarket sets

Cam pro decals

Aires cockpit 

Aires wheel bays

Eduard photo etched sets

AMUR Reaver photo etch

DMold intakes

Airscale cockpit upgrade sets

Zactomodels  aim 9L/ M sidewinders

and no doubt I'll be getting my hands on some resin wheels, and depending on what weapons load I go for, some resin bombs as well.

33001589358_0318753332_b.jpg

While I'm waiting for the rest of the aftermarket gear to come in, I've started on the wings, cleaning them up to build with the wings folded.

33001571948_698e2280eb_b.jpg

33001583138_1b4207f423_b.jpg

I know these kit have been around for a long time now, but if you haven't built one yet, the surface detail is fantastic and the general fit, is great. When the cockpit comes in, I'll be starting on getting the pit and front wheel bay into position, and painting them. 

Any advice on any sections of modelling would be welcomed.

Thanks for looking.

• 3 weeks later...

With a lot of sanding, scribing, riveting and dry fitting done, I'd decided that the way I'm going to put the front together would be to assemble the front fuselage together, and slide the resin sections in for the top.

47087752141_937d11a4fe_b.jpg

Most of the surface details are fantastic, but there are sections that do need to be reworked, so with a healthy dose of OCD, I redone the lot! 

32145931017_400f8a2d72_b.jpg

The photo etch that runs either side of the wheel bays is from the Amur reaver set, and it's the thinnest photo etch I've ever seen. Very fine, but easy to work with.

47035539892_3b2757d421_b.jpg

40122959673_43e89f6ebe_b.jpg

40122969883_117ae0c887_b.jpg

And now it's on to a paint job on the Aires wheel bay and cockpit. Wish me luck, I'm thinking I'm going to need it!

Thanks for looking.

• 1 month later...

On my way out to airbrush the cockpit, great job, I dropped my airbrush damaging the crown tip! :BANGHEAD2:

So I got nothing else done before heading off on a family vacation, but the good news was, I was on vacation.

upon getting back I was able to find the part on eBay, but it would be several weeks before I get it. To keep things moving forward I've attached the top section in between the canopy and the cannon, and sorted out the panel lines.

47470340101_a82ac0310d_b.jpg

33593723958_fea5d25b63_b.jpg

With the front done as much as I want, with out the cockpit, I turned my attention to the main fuselage and main landing gear bays. I'm going to use the Aires sets, so it was out with the Dremel, and I said good bye to the kit pieces!

Having done this before, I wasn't to nervous, but it is an expensive kit, but success. And as you can see, my preferred way to do this section is to attach the fuselage sides, and then adjust the kit pieces and Aires sets of a better fit.

47491224741_43e19c95b1_b.jpg

As l'm planning to use a lot of aftermarket gear, I know the plane will have some weight to it, and the joins aren't the best, so all joins are reinforced with sheet styrene.

46575933305_49e5e2b2fe_b.jpg

40504222913_835b3942e7_b.jpg

Styrene was also used to help adjust the Aires wheel wells to fit, no big issue, but now it's a good fit. I still have plenty of sanding, rescribing and rivets to go on the rear fuselage, but by the time that's complete, my airbrush should be up and running to complete the cockpit.

Thanks for looking.