Jump to content
Fanes

Eduard Bf109G-4/Trop - putting it together

Recommended Posts

Starting the new year I decided to not longer wait for the eduard replacement part.
Since the part anyway had its faults, I used some streched sprue to make a new regulator which is just missing the star shaped button.

This will be put into place when the replacement finally arrives!

After adding some copper wire we're here:

555298-34859-81.jpg

 

After cleaning up the CA-reisdues I went on to priming the cockpit.
There are some first times involved:
-black-basing - I saw quite some impressive results in the forum

-gunze's levelling thinner for the good old Tamiya paints

555299-34859-80.jpg

 

555300-34859-33.jpg

 

555301-34859-68.jpg

 

Oh boy, I thought I had the Tamiya paints figured out. But this Gunze thinner does some magic!

The following painting wasn't magical at all since I had some struggle with my new airbrush, the fine needle (.15mm) and the quite tricky RLM66 from Xtracrylix.
Probably not using this stuff again.

555302-34859-51.jpg

 

555303-34859-43.jpg

 

Next up: doing some higlighting by adding ocean grey to the RLM66 and focussing onto the upper areas.

555307-34859-55.jpg

 

I still have to improve the lights for photogrraphing without sunlight.
Therefore the pictures don't really do the painting justice.
I chose a relatively high contrast for the basepaint because I think it'll level out when detail-painting, gloss coat and a little pin wash are done.
 

If painting the details goes well, there will be an update tomorrow!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Finally an update between a lot of stuff to do for work!

I went onto the details and had quite a hard time to get the Vallejo paint where I wanted it to be.
Maybe an optivisor or magnifying lamp might come in handy..

557145-34859-66.jpg

 

Some chipping on the seat, trim wheels and floor:

 

557146-34859-94.jpg

 

All sealed up with Tamiya gloss clear and ready for the pin-wash!

 

557148-34859-39.jpg

 

Can someone recommend a good flat cote?
I had some struggle in the past and have now tryed AK interactive's matte varnish and I'm still not quite happy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That looks terrific!

 

I've had excellent luck with Model Masters lacquer based matt clear.

 

However, lately after experimenting I have started using MRPs clear matt flat.

The MRP clear works excellent, and no white residue. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Fanes,

 

Looks awesome and I would highly recommend a magnifying light or optivisor to help see the little details and especially the painting.

 

I'll second Brian's recommendation of Model Master Flat clear although I use the acrylic version.  Same with the Vallejo matte clear - goes on easily and dries incredibly quickly.  Not as big a fan of the Vallejo Gloss clear, however.


Due to the fumes issue I've not moved over to the MRP paints yet.


Good luck and keep up the excellent work!  GREAT kit to start with.  I have the Eduard 109 F-4 Profipack and the G-6 Weekend edition in my closet.


Chris

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Thanks a lot for your kind words mates!

@Out2gtcha I ordered some of those "magical" Mr. Paints and I hope the RLM78 will work fine on this bird.
Some testing on old plastic was really promising - so thank you I'll consider their flat cote, too!

41 minutes ago, CANicoll said:

Looks awesome and I would highly recommend a magnifying light or optivisor to help see the little details and especially the painting.

 

I'll second Brian's recommendation of Model Master Flat clear although I use the acrylic version.  Same with the Vallejo matte clear - goes on easily and dries incredibly quickly.  Not as big a fan of the Vallejo Gloss clear, however.


Due to the fumes issue I've not moved over to the MRP paints yet.


Good luck and keep up the excellent work!  GREAT kit to start with.  I have the Eduard 109 F-4 Profipack and the G-6 Weekend edition in my closet.

In the past I've not been lucky with airbrushing Vallejo paints. Does their clear behave like the rest of their airbrush colour range?

 

I fully agree, the quality of this kit is astonishing. Those hollowed-out inlets on the fuselage are better than on some LSPs in my stash (looking at you Revell G-6 and Hasegawa F-4).

 

Cheers
Joachim

Edited by Fanes

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Vallejo Acrylics take some work to get the chemistry right:  I do about 10-15% thinner, 10-20% Flow Improver and then paint.  With this mix I do not have any problems with clogging, or tip dry or splattering.  I watched some Vallejo You Tube video's and at a few model shows where there were Vallejo demo's I asked a lot of questions.  I don't have consistent luck with their gloss (unless I mix it into their other colors and then it lays down beautifully smooth) but I'll use their Matte anytime - VERY easy to use and dries almost instantly. 

 

I do love the Eduard kits.  I picked up their new Tempest at SMW in Telford this year, along with a few of their aftermarket parts.  I built their 1/72 Spitfire Mk IXC (one was their Overtrees) and they were just amazing and fun builds.  And the Overtrees are inexpensive!


Chris

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

.Hi Fanes, Testors Dull Coat Lacquer is another good quality flat coat. I use Tamiya's lacquer thinners  to thin it no worries and it is pretty tough. In my experience though one coat wont be enough so you have to build up the coats until your satisfied with the "flatness" which in my opinion is a good thing. 

 

Cheers Bevan

Edited by Scale32

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Deep down in my paint drawer I found some Lifecolor flat cote. Thinned down with their specific thinner it tuned out almost dead flat.
Maybe too flat for the eterior of an airplane but for the small and dark cockpit of the 109 it's good enough for me.
Some small pieces installed (including the regulator knob which arrived 2 days ago!).

 

558988-34859-35.jpg

 

The eduard belts are nicely printed but it was a struggle to get them laid down. They are just too stiff to look like real seatbelts.
I'm really excited how the HGW belts will turn out on the forthcoming LSP build!

 

558989-34859-13.jpg

 

One tiny thing still needs to be done before buttoning the fuselage up:
The instrument panel needs its dials. I ordered decals for them from MDC and they are now in the mail for 11 days. :hmmm:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, mustang1989 said:

Pretty dang nice set up you've got in there Fanes! Lots of details are going to make a good difference.

Thanks a lot!
It seems that inth end I have to leave the canopy open, or just little of that work will ever be seen.
So much to a quick build to get back into the hobby....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Finally the cockpit is complete!
The MDC instrument decals finally arrived and were put into place.

560894-34859-56.jpg

 

All is sealed up with a flate cote which suffered with a little frosting (argh now I know why the lifecolor bottle has been put aside in the first place)
The dials recieved some Tamiya gloss to simulate the glass (unfortunately invisible in the picture).
 

Next up: closing the fuselage, preparing the landing gear and then I'm ready to put some paint on!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Caution: Lots of pictures incoming!

 

The fuselage is closed up. Fit was good but not extraordinary. The sprue connectors left some sinkmarks which needed filler and the total absence of aligning-tabs required some fiddling on the rear fuselage. But these flaws disappeared quickly with some Alclad microfiller and several swipes with the sanding stick!

561568-34859-95.jpg

 

The wings itself were a beautiful fit and feature nice surface detail. Some minor tweaking at the wing root was required to minimze the step to the fuselage.

561569-34859-26.jpg

 

The underside is somehow a mixed bag. The oil cooler is a dropfit (not glued in for now, nor the spinner) which lets me install the exhausts and the MG17s after painting. Needles to say that I really like the featured wheel-well detail!

However the part which fills in the ejection chutes of the later G versions features prominent sink marks and needed filling and sanding. Same goes for the rear fit fuselage-wing.

561570-34859-55.jpg

 

Nothing too dramtaic going on on the wing root, but the radiator flap needs some additional love.

561573-34859-44.jpg

 

Unfortunately I somehow managed to completely mess up the fit of the tailplanes. There is a serious amount of putty and sanding required.

Upperside is okayish:

561574-34859-63.jpg

 

But that leaves a massive gap on the lower end:

561576-34859-51.jpg

 

The flash on the left elevator is now removed ;)

After filling and sanding I can hopfully complete the landing gear.

 

So long

Joachim

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Fanes said:

Caution: Lots of pictures incoming!

 

The fuselage is closed up. Fit was good but not extraordinary. The sprue connectors left some sinkmarks which needed filler and the total absence of aligning-tabs required some fiddling on the rear fuselage. But these flaws disappeared quickly with some Alclad microfiller and several swipes with the sanding stick!

561568-34859-95.jpg

 

The wings itself were a beautiful fit and feature nice surface detail. Some minor tweaking at the wing root was required to minimze the step to the fuselage.

561569-34859-26.jpg

 

The underside is somehow a mixed bag. The oil cooler is a dropfit (not glued in for now, nor the spinner) which lets me install the exhausts and the MG17s after painting. Needles to say that I really like the featured wheel-well detail!

However the part which fills in the ejection chutes of the later G versions features prominent sink marks and needed filling and sanding. Same goes for the rear fit fuselage-wing.

561570-34859-55.jpg

 

Nothing too dramtaic going on on the wing root, but the radiator flap needs some additional love.

561573-34859-44.jpg

 

Unfortunately I somehow managed to completely mess up the fit of the tailplanes. There is a serious amount of putty and sanding required.

Upperside is okayish:

561574-34859-63.jpg

 

But that leaves a massive gap on the lower end:

561576-34859-51.jpg

 

The flash on the left elevator is now removed ;)

After filling and sanding I can hopfully complete the landing gear.

 

So long

Joachim

Eduard is notorious for flash like that on things like elevator trim tabs; your work looks fantastic.

 

I really like the cockpit.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, ringleheim said:

Eduard is notorious for flash like that on things like elevator trim tabs; your work looks fantastic.

 

I really like the cockpit. 

 

 

I was uite surprised to see any flash because the rest of the parts is beautifully cast with little mold seams.
That was before I went on to the landing gear - but more of these parts later on!

 

Thanks a lot, but unfortunately little of the work in the cockpit is visible for now and the canopy isn't even on.
Let's call it practice for the LSP builds to come..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So todays work ain't much but it's something.
I fiddled with the main landing gear together (involving the removal of some nasty flash and mold seams),

installed the brake lines with the distinctive 109 loop. The clamps are made of Tamiya tape cut into fine strips and for some reason they didn't want to stick to the legs.

Fixed them with a lot of swearing and I'm still not 100% happy.

562904-34859-35.jpg

 

Since the tape was already out of the drawer I started some painting preparation.

562903-34859-48.jpg

 

The first shot of the semi-gloss black base on the parts in RLM02 and RLM66 is currently drying. Tomorrow there will be paint!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×