A Wee Side Project: 1/24 Cardoor Tiffie

Uncarina

2 hours ago, Vynce804 said:

Hi Tom,

Yes how funny 2 Typhoons started within a few days of each other!  Good luck with yours,  you have made a tremendous start very inspirational for me.  Mine is the bubble top version,  but I have a car door kit in my stash so will be really interested to se how yours comes out.

Are you planning to have all the engine covers off and gun bays exposed?   Also have you a particular Aircraft, squadron or colour scheme in mind?

Are you going to use much aftermarket? I also have the air scale decals,  but am also tempted by the resin intake duct and I do like resin wheels!

cheers

Matt

Matt,

It would be great to help each other along! Mine will be “Bee” Beamonts aircraft, as he was a major figure in the Typhoons development and the aircraft is pretty eye-catching. I also haven’t seen this built. I will be using Montex Masks.

She will be closed up except for the car door and canopy. I am a little concerned about the cowling fit so I’ve left the front of the engine unattached. Hopefully this will help with adjustments. 

I am using the BarracudaCast intake ring: it is a drop-fit and is a noticeable improvement. I’m also using the Eduard wheelset, but will have to modify the hubs for the early design.

Cherrs,  Tom

2 hours ago, Hacker said:

nice. Question. Do you have a pic of the Car Door? l am seeking a good picture of the inside part and Airfix must have a good representation of it

Hacker

Thanks Hacker! I only have a couple of unrestored cockpit photos which I used to determine colors and stencils. From what I’ve seen, the Airfix analog is pretty accurate, aside from missing the door window crank and lower door bar seen in Dennis’s photo above. I’ll have to scratchbuild those, but they come in the Eduard set as well.

Cheers,  Tom

A bit of an update: I've completed the engine block the outline for the main landing gear, support frame for the wing, and installed the cannons. The detail and fit is really good, and though there are significant mold separation lines the plastic is soft enough to sand and trim easily. The wing spars are a little warped, so I have been pleased to see them straighten when I install more cross pieces.

I am using Tamiya thin cement, and one trick I discovered is that I can go back and unglue a previously glued piece by adding a fresh application of this cement--it softens the previous bond to allow me to remove or reposition the part. Overall, I'm having a blast with this build.

Cheers, Tom

Ugly but effective:

krPw2lJ.jpg

With the BarracudaCast intake:

TKsB73j.jpg

FYoQACu.jpg

And overall:

CMxCqkh.jpg

36 minutes ago, Barry said:

Nice build you've got going here Tom. :thumbsup: Are those the 120mm Smooth Bore cannons? ;)

Barry

Barry, thanks! Not quite, but I’m slowly working my way back up to 1/16 scale!

Cheers,  Tom

A wee update today: made a bit of progress since the last update! The fit has overall been really good, ranging from surgical precision to needing a little filler. To date:

--I detached the engine to make fitting the cowling panels fit better; I wish I could have done this with the intake screen as well, but I managed to make it work; the biggest gap was at the interface with the wing, and I had to use tiny wedge-shaped shims on each side.

--I cut the barrels from the wings and inserted them in the barrel covers, then glued them together separate from the wing. This made sanding easier. I also scribed the covers just short of midway down the barrel to denote the separate halves of each cover (The early Tiffies were missing the outer cover). Having the cannons separate will also make painting easier, and they fit really well into the wing.

--The panel under the fuselage fit amazingly well into the rest of the fuselage (the gap simply disappears), but I found it about 0.5mm short of reaching the wing section; I added a shim and sanded it to match the contour.

--The huge propellor really adds to the build, but the screw heads were missing from the spinner, 15 in all. I added these with a punch set.

The photos are not the best quality, but hopefully you can see the amazing work Airfix put into the aircraft surfaces. Paint stage soon!

Cheers, Tom

CQIhdxQ.jpg

j777tia.jpg

ULvQ3i7.jpg

C5MrWvO.jpg

ffdaOP6.jpg

Hi Tom,  really great progress,  you have left me way behind!  I was wondering what your thoughts on painting the upper camouflage were?  I know there is a hard demarcation between the upper and lower surfaces but do you intent to have a feathered or hard edge to the upper camo colours?

cheers

Matt

You really don't mess around Tom.

The surface detail is fantastic, and who would have imagined that it would be Airfix to pioneer this in an injection moulded kit (not sure about the Kinetic F-86). Once you have done a kit like this, does 1:32nd scale seem a bit fiddly? :lol: