A Wee Side Project: 1/24 Cardoor Tiffie

Uncarina

16 hours ago, Vynce804 said:

Hi Tom,  really great progress,  you have left me way behind!  I was wondering what your thoughts on painting the upper camouflage were?  I know there is a hard demarcation between the upper and lower surfaces but do you intent to have a feathered or hard edge to the upper camo colours?

cheers

Matt

Matt, thank you! For the upper camo I plan to have a tight feathered edge. I will spray the Ocean Grey,  lightly mark the edges of the green, then paint using my trusty Aztek 470 with either the tan or black tip. I use thinned Tamiya paints, and a low pressure for this. Hope your build is going well!

Cheers,  Tom

8 hours ago, Madmax said:

You really don't mess around Tom.

The surface detail is fantastic, and who would have imagined that it would be Airfix to pioneer this in an injection moulded kit (not sure about the Kinetic F-86). Once you have done a kit like this, does 1:32nd scale seem a bit fiddly? :lol:

Thank you! This is my first Airfix kit since I was a kid, and I have been well and truly impressed! At this point, 1/32 does seem a little small, though my B-17 begs to differ!

Cheers,  Tom

1 hour ago, dennismcc said:

That looks great and as others have said the surface detail looks "real", this thread is starting to make me want to build one of mine when my current projects are finished.

Cheers

Dennis

Dennis, thanks! It would be great to see you work your magic with this kit.

Cheers,  Tom

19 hours ago, Bobsyouruncle said:

Lovely work. A fair bit neater than mine and you work a lot faster too. great stuff.

Bob,

I am very impressed with your work. Building the front windscreen from scratch, for example: meticulous!

Cheers,  Tom

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Tom,  looking really good!  What brand of paints are you going to use?  Also  on some builds I have seen, the fuselage halves have been joined before being offered up to the Wings,  which is contrary to what the instructions say,  just interested to know what you did.  Cheers. Matt 

Matt,

Thanks! These days I use Tamiya paints and Quickshine (very much like Future). I finished the wing assembly (joining upper and lower halves), then taped the fuselage halves together to get a feel for joining them to the wing. This gave me the confidence to glue the fuselage together before joining to the wing. The fit is really impressive, especially for a kit this size. The advantage was being able to tackle the fuselage seams without having the wings in the way. Overall the only fit challenge I have faced was the cowling sections.

Cheers,  Tom