News Flash! Curtis P-40 production line starting up!

1to1scale

For the first time in over a week, I had a chance to work on them today. Right now I need to get the fuselages closed up so I can continue, so a nice base layer of paint was in order. I ended up using about 6ml of XF5 paint on all these! 

zfkRoaV.jpg

XUTx5Kq.jpg

And of course, you need a whole pile of these too...

3np0BFu.jpg

And on top of the previous six, this one followed me home as well a Grey Matter F/L conversion. So I decided to paint these up before assembly. It’s going to end up as a French long tail F, specifically “Madkot” in the British desert camo.

nmyldvY.jpg

26 minutes ago, LSP_Ray said:

Wow, that really is a production line! I would probably be missing one of each when I went to put then all together!

Ray, I was getting the prints you sent me measured up for frames today, thanks again!

Hi Guys,

It’s good to know im not the only lunatic here!  Last year I did 4 Fw-190D models and currently have another 6 half built.  It’s actually much easier than you’d think as painting time, at least for the common parts, is vastly reduced.  Sub assemblies can be done sitting in front of the TV, you just sit there and knit the parts together until a pile of plastic forms itself into recognisable lumps.

And I’ve got a couple of P-40 kits needing some TLC too!

regards,

Bruce Crosby

Yes, Henry Ford had a good idea. As long as they are the same brand/model, the assembly line method works well. I did this first about 2 years ago with 1/72 scale FW-190’s when I build 5 at once, this project is a little more ambitious, but still lots of fun. When I finish these, I plan on building the FW-190 series, I’m going to build a 1, 3, 5, 7, 8, R8, and D9. Then if my arms are not wrapped in a straight jacket, I will probably move on the the BF-109’s or the Hasegawa Japanese series. Of course, I usually do a quick build, easy, out of the box kit, in between these bigger projects. Plus I just started a Tamiya F-15E on Friday, and have a P-61B with a TON of aftermarket to build before Chattanooga next year. 

Today I spent a couple hours working on the cockpits, most of that time was reasearching the seats and harnesses for each. I cut 3 CMK resin seats off their pour blocks, they fit so well, I didn’t need to do much fitting. I built a late PE seat for one N model. I also built up one of the pilots for an E, that was one of the poorest fitting pilots I built in a long time, lots of hacking, sanding, and scraping to get him to fit. I decided he would be the only one. 

After that I became thoroughly confused as to which harness fit which models. The ones with question marks, I’m not sure of.

Here red is what I have so far:

late model N = std US harness

RAAF early N = std US harness ???

Russian K = US harness ???

US Africa K = std US harness

French F = std US harness ???

Canadian E in Alutian Islands = Sutton or US ???

British E in Africa = Sutton

im still looking, but the books I had don’t cover the subject, and don’t have pictures of foreign service P-40’s. Back to do more research.

9 hours ago, 1to1scale said:

French F = std US harness ???

Hello

For those first delivered in North Africa , tempted to say ofcourse: all U.S equipt, due to the high speed they were in operation: delivery mid December 1942 - "in action" start of January 1943.

I spent a while chopping up a perfectly good, brand new, P-40M kit in prep for the F conversion. I am about done fitting the resin parts, so far so good, I chopped up the plastic already, I also rescribed all the panel lines on the resin nose, they were very light, and did not match the Hasegawa panel lines. The resin is going to need some filler, it’s not super smooth, and there appears to be some mold damage as there is a depression on one side, that looks like the mold ripped before they cast it.

All the flat edges need truing up with a flat file, and the fit is not perfect. Someone else that did this gave me a heads up, and I cut the panel line a little shy, where I knew I would have to sand them up to match. The biggest issue is the lower cowl, it’s fit needs some fiddling, and the upper cowl is a little narrow, so I needed to sand some taper into the windshield piece as it too tall and wide at the front

Spending a few more hours sanding, I fit all the major pieces and smaller items, I’m pretty happy with the gaps now, the rest will be fine tuned with glue and filler. 

I also ordered a new type of CA+Resin glue that works for resin kits, it’s a CA that stays slightly flexible when cured, they make a Resin and a metal PE version, I ordered one of each. I should have it next week. I can now move on to finishing the cockpits and closing up the fuselages

nZfzaum.jpg

mOP6OFx.jpg

ebSjlWO.jpg

tBFBxpv.jpg

20jC8Y7.jpg

Rw753wS.jpg

pElxKV9.jpg