Is there a good 1/32 jeep? Update!!

BiggTim

7 minutes ago, Out2gtcha said:

Had Tamiya-san NOT gone and made that #$%@!ing "other" scale all those years ago, and just went ahead with 1/32nd for their armor, just imagine the possibilities we'd have today.....

Makes you sick, doesn't it? I read Tamiya's history book and he mentions how they came up with that scale. Supposedly, it was the smallest scale they could fit batteries and a motor into their first armor kit, a Panther, so they went with it. I think that is all hogwash, though. 1.) Tamiya was big on keeping to a single scale, it was a big reason they were successful with their original ship kits. At the time, there was quite a bit already out in 1/32 including aircraft and armor from Monogram and Airfix, so why create a new scale that would have to compete? 2.) So the battery and motor just fit in a Panther. So what happens when they try a PzIV or PzIII? Then it won't fit! As a matter of fact, that was a problem with Tamiya's first PzIV: the lower hull is too wide to accommodate the motor assembly. If they had started with 1/32 they wouldn't have had that problem. It is my belief someone made an error in calculations on the early kits and they made the decision to stick with it, not wanting to admit the error. When their kits caught on, it was too late. Maybe if we had the internet then and could all point out the problem and complain, we could of got it changed. All water under the bridge, though.

I do have a 1/35th Bf109G to use with my 1/35th kits for a dio, though! :) 

1 hour ago, LSP_Ray said:

Makes you sick, doesn't it? I read Tamiya's history book and he mentions how they came up with that scale. Supposedly, it was the smallest scale they could fit batteries and a motor into their first armor kit, a Panther, so they went with it. I think that is all hogwash, though. 1.) Tamiya was big on keeping to a single scale, it was a big reason they were successful with their original ship kits. At the time, there was quite a bit already out in 1/32 including aircraft and armor from Monogram and Airfix, so why create a new scale that would have to compete? 2.) So the battery and motor just fit in a Panther. So what happens when they try a PzIV or PzIII? Then it won't fit! As a matter of fact, that was a problem with Tamiya's first PzIV: the lower hull is too wide to accommodate the motor assembly. If they had started with 1/32 they wouldn't have had that problem. It is my belief someone made an error in calculations on the early kits and they made the decision to stick with it, not wanting to admit the error. When their kits caught on, it was too late. Maybe if we had the internet then and could all point out the problem and complain, we could of got it changed. All water under the bridge, though.

I do have a 1/35th Bf109G to use with my 1/35th kits for a dio, though! :) 

Never seen that one before, either!

Well gents, unfortunately there is no acceptable jeep kit in 1/32 scale. The kits or die cast options are either very old with toyish details or more recent with out of scale features. The Bandai kit is awful. If my memory's right it has lights powered by a battery hidden under the tarpaulin in the trailer. This is just a sixties toy. The Monogram one is better but closer to 1/35th scale. To me, besides the shapes issues of the kits/toys (very often in the front area), the main issue is the wheels as I have yet to see one 1/32th jeep that really has correct tires. Currently, the best of the breed is indeed the Forces of Valor one but it is not perfect either, not easy to find and very expensive. Last, it is quite probable somebody is working on one as otherwise why Profimodeller would have released the 1/4ton trailer...? If I had more time, I would scratchbuild a master as I am fed up waiting for one! 

A few years ago I downscaled in 3D the Tamiya Mutt in 1/72 with direct misure detection from the 1/35 plastic, the work is not particularly complicated, if I had time and the 48-hour days maybe you could do something like that....obvious maybe.

Edited by onosendai

8 hours ago, BiggTim said:

So the 1/32 Testors Jeep I ordered on Amazon arrived today, and let me tell you that it is one of the worst piles of garbage I have ever seen!! It would be less work to scratch build a Jeep than to fix that awful POS. Sadly, I also found out that the New Ray Version is exactly the same model, just comes pre-assembled. I also seems that the wheel base is slightly too long and too wide for 1/32, as well as something being out of proportion in the front end that makes it almost 1/2 inch too long overall. Apparently, it's so bad that when I went to return it, they didn't want it back. They refunded my money and did not require me to return it! 

The Forces of Valor Jeep looks a good deal better, from what I can tell, but they are much too expensive for my taste. I guess I may be using the very nice little 1/35 Tamiya Jeep after all!!

Tim

1/35, or 1/32. You  wont really tell the difference. What about this?

513yAG--CaL._SL500_AC_SS350_.jpg

Edited by Gerhard

2 minutes ago, Gerhard said:

1/35, or 1/32. You  wont really tell the difference.

On 8/25/2018 at 1:34 AM, BiggTim said:

I bought a 1/35 Tamiya Jeep, and it's nice, but it's about 3/8 inch too short, if I did my math right. I dont know if I can live with that.

Opinions?

Yes, he thinks it's too short

Richard

I've decided to live with the 1/35 Tamiya kit, so it's a very nice kit, and the size difference is not as noticeable as I expected. Next to a smaller plane like a Mustang, its negligable. Only becomes a little more noticeable next to the P-38 I plan to use it with. I can live with it. I did find some really nice 3D printed 6.00x16 wheels and tires in 1/32 on shapeways, though. Too bad there is nothing out there to use them on.

Tim

Good news! I heard from the guys at Profimodeller, and they confirmed that they are working on a 1/32 multimedia jeep kit to go with the trailer they already make. They hope to have it ready next year. I'm anxious to see how it turns out! The trailer looks pretty nice!