My latest distraction

ScottsGT

Guest Peterpools

Scott

Nice progress and looking forward to seeing the Nautless moving through the painting process.

Keep ‘em comin

Peter

Wow, that is excellent!   I hope you dont mind, I took the liberty of inserting the actual pic, as I was only showing the .jpg hotlink. (Im hoping it wasnt just on my end, but I now do see the pics).

Well done! 

9 minutes ago, Out2gtcha said:

Wow, that is excellent!   I hope you dont mind, I took the liberty of inserting the actual pic, as I was only showing the .jpg hotlink. (Im hoping it wasnt just on my end, but I now do see the pics).

Well done! 

Thanks!  having a hard time working the website and which link to pull from Imageshack while using my phone.  Funny, it showed up on my phone for me.

Few updates and where I'm at.  Weekend goal was to get it ready for paint.  My first hurdle to jump was the salon window frame.  The kit came with these "resin" frames that were way out of shape and not nearly long enough.  My plan was to cut a ring out of a copper pipe fitting I had in the garage and then solder on wires and bend to fit.

AJfJ23.jpg

Well that didn't work out as planned.  :wacko:

Even if the copper was bent correctly, it was over sized to fit into the notches of the window frame.  Slightest bend, and the solder broke loose.  Even pre-bending was a miserable failure.

tN9GLM.jpg

So I cleaned up the rings I made from copper and then just glued them directly onto the window.  After the glue (Formula 560 for R/C aircraft canopies, a white glue that dries crystal clear) set up, I made frames out of Evergreen stock.

5A73TP.jpg

In place

gsTKoz.jpg

All taped up and primed.

lId1xt.jpg

Z6tQBL.jpg

Now I think it will have to sit a few weeks.  I go on vacation next week and I have quite the laundry list to do around the house before leaving.  If I can sneak some time down to the garage, I'm hoping to get the base color applied so it has time to cure while I'm away.

Edited by ScottsGT

15 hours ago, mustang1989 said:

Man.....don't you hate it when you've got to go away and are in the middle of a cool project? Looking forward to your return and progress.

True!  The wife doesn't understand me when I tell her I have to be in a certain mental state to leave the homestead for a week of sitting on the beach doing nothing.  I always have to have some sort of a feeling of accomplishment before leaving.  Be it a hobby project, freshly mowed lawn or the garage cleaned out.  It's almost like I'm making myself "earn" the vacation. 

I did get the silver base sprayed on last night and the night before.  I'm using the recommended method by "R/C Sub-guy" on YouTube.   This thing looks like a metal flake bass boat at this time.  Can't wait to start the preshading to tone it down somewhat. 

LOL. I've gotta be in that same mental state to sit down at the bench during the day. My bench times are from around 3:45 -5:30 in the mornings and sometimes they are a little shorter than that. There are times when I have to spend some time during the day like when I'm laying down a color or clear coat. I don't always have enough time allotted in the wee hours of the morning to get all set up, spray and then clean up so I'll make sure that I've completed some of the "have to do's " around the house before I'll use up family time during the day on my hobbies. It's almost like I need to earn it but that's just me.

Looking forward to more of your build.

• 2 weeks later...

Quick update now that I'm back from the beach.  Before the break I sprayed on the Rustoleum silver base.

Of course this is the only pic I got.  Almost forgot when I got busy with pre-shading.

Nn4UvX.jpg

Pre-shaded and vents painted black along with a couple of other details.  Ready for the rust paint tonight.

bWANAi.jpg

Yes, my finger is sore from all the airbrush action!

Edited by ScottsGT