My latest distraction

ScottsGT

I swear, I will finish this one before starting another kit!  I don't remember the last time I felt this motivated to build a kit.  Sorry for the clutter, I'm going at it so fast, I'm not even taking time to clean up!! 

Quite a bit has been done since this on.  I'll up date later with new pics. 

JcN6tY.jpg

1 hour ago, Out2gtcha said:

The Nautilus, neat!   Is that the MM kit?

Yes, its the 31".  I've been eyeing it for probably close to a year.  One of the 15% eBay discounts drove me over the edge.   Being a cottage industry kit that is cast, there is a whole lot of clean up and corrections and scratch building that I'm having to do as I go along.   At first I thought about buying all the interior salon details and lighting it up, but something about that reminds of of "toy" and not display piece.

Quick update....

Took a few photos last night.  first one is of the tail section and how I had to modify things to fit.   The circular prop protector (lack of better words?)  wasn't even large enough to fit into the vertical fin location points.  The horizontal fins had notches cut out for them to fit into.  I wound up cutting the half circles in half, epoxying into place and using styrene card stock glued together as a filler on the horizontals.  I then shaped the styrene to blend with the fins.

wKaVcj.jpg

Half circles get support bars.  Here's a shot of the really nasty part they cast from this plastic feeling resin laying under the part I made of brass rod and Evergreen stock.  It was horrible looking and was not straight.  One I get my parts fitted, shaped and trimmed (I had just epoxied them in place here) I'll add tiny white  glue drops for more rivet detail so they will blend in.

YTw5t3.jpg

Main wheel house- comes with a vacuum formed sheet of "bubbles" you have to cut out.  Unfortunately, after I cleaned up the very rough casting on the inside of the windows, there was no way to get the bubbles to fit so large of an opening.   I again used Evergreen stock, epoxied into place to take up the space.  I'll paint these areas and then glue in the bubbles with RC56 glue designed for cluing canopies on R/C airplanes.  I have dental syringes on order from Amazon so I can squirt the RC56 out like a caulk gun.

ptNEGX.jpg

Back of the wheel house gets a window.  I guess I was supposed to just use the scrap from the bubbles to cut a glass out for this.  There was no way to hold the glass in place though!  This opening had a frame with rivet details all around it. I filed them off and I'm going to use glass from microscope slide covers and cut a window.  I'll then add evergreen stock to the edge of the glass along with more white glue rivets then I'll glue it in place.

EqY2Uf.jpg

That's all for now.  The real treat will be seeing how I fix the horrible bubble frames for the big salon bubbles on the side.  They sent resin cast frames, but they are not even symmetrical.  Got plans on more Evergreen stock and stretched and bent sprue to fix these areas. 

No kidding, for the smaller half rounds that go around the salon window for lights and the crocodile eyes on top of the wheel house, they send you an assortment of the "googly eyes" that you have to cut apart and use the lenses off of.   Have not tried to size them yet, but I've read that none of them are the correct sizes.  I might just round off the end of correct size wood dowel and press some out of clear blister packing material instead.

Guest Peterpools

Scott

Super progress and enjoying following your progress. One tough build for sure

Keep ‘em comin

Peter

Here's my rebuilt rear glass.  As luck would have it, I noticed that I cracked it when I was trimming the Evergreen stock for the edges.  So now I have to slice it all off and start over.  I think I'll switch over to some of the clear plastic since slide covers are so fragile.

mtvpfP.jpg