Bf110G4 NJG4 1944/45 FINISHED!!!!! YIPPEE.

mozart

OK, so pragmatism takes over from realism with the starboard engine!  The aircraft that I'm modelling was fitted with the straight Eberspacher flame dampers as shown in this photograph, and getting the exhaust stubs to the correct fairly acute angle is giving me food for thought.

ARwHS7.jpg

It is critical that the exhaust ports on the engine line up perfectly with the nacelles whilst making sure that the engine doesn't foul the cowlings and panels so I've decided to install only part of the engine (the rest won't be seen anyway) supported on some very non-standard bearers.  Each exhaust stub has been drilled and will be pinned into position onto the engine block. This is all a means to an end.....which hopefully will be accurate looking exhausts. :)

3vX97s.jpg

cUNYMG.jpg

19 hours ago, monthebiff said:

Very interesting work Max, looking foward to seeing these engine nacelles come together. They aare going to look fantastic!

Regards. Andy

I hope so Andy, but I've got a week off as I head up North on the bike for a holiday! :)

1 minute ago, mozart said:

Cheers Brian!  Spent 50+ years doing that, trouble is, there's more of 'em these days!!  Hey ho! :unsure::frantic:

Same same over here on this side Max. Mostly idiots when it comes to people in cars VS bikes. A lot seem completely oblivious.   As they say, you can put a pencil in front of a bike at most normal viewing distances from inside a car. 

• 2 weeks later...

So I'm back safe and sound from the biking trip up to Holy island and Lindisfarne via Bamburgh Castle and many tea rooms:

9CTilc.jpg

and I found this little item fascinating in a small aviation related section at Bamburgh:

sTVyhD.jpg

I have used my all too infrequent opportunities at the bench to seat the engine so that the exhaust stubs will fit (hopefully) easily.  Trial and error has resulted in the optimum method being rather crude and not at all the norm for an experienced modeller......BLU TAK!!  Despite many efforts with more sophisticated "modelly" methods, getting a firm accurate position was frustrating me no end.  The Blu Tak was a bit of a last ditch solution, but it works on several levels.  Once warmed up the Blu Tak can be easily moulded and put in place, allowing movement but not too much.  When "cooled" it sets more firmly and holds the engine quite strongly, but critically, since I'm sure I'll need wriggle room when I mount the exhaust stubs, it stills gives slightly.  That's a plan Stan, but the best laid plans of mice and men.........

PFB47t.jpg

cPPhTw.jpg

zco9ks.jpg

Glad you made it safe Max!  That engine solution is quite nice................IIRC, I think K1 has used a similar solution in the past as well. I wonder if you could permanently fix the engine in place once you get the position finalized with some CA or epoxy by just slathering it around the blue tac?

7 minutes ago, Out2gtcha said:

I wonder if you could permanently fix the engine in place once you get the position finalized with some CA or epoxy by just slathering it around the blue tac?

Yep, that was my thought too Brian, pour some epoxy into the spaces especially at the back after filling it up with a few random bits of plastic.

Just now, Shawn M said:

what about using epoxy putty?

Hells bells, that might even work better than then slathering the tac w/epoxy. Making up some Milliput having near the same consistency of the tac would be easy, and could be molded to the same shape, allowing the engine to be adjusted like the tac, but once you do get it adjusted, would just harden up, and voila, same result but no need to slather anything around it at all. 

Really like your idea using the blu-tac Max, was going to suggest some carefully added epoxy to fix everything in place. Be careful as to much in a refined space can cause really bad results from the fumes as it cures though!

If you need a spare set of exhausts and stubs while you are working out how to get everything all set in the correct place I have a set from my conversion set I won't be using so they are yours if you need them Max.

Regards. Andy