HpH conversion set 1/32 MiG-23BN is officially out

So I’m having my CAD guy do the Delta-N pod, the main IP, and the nose gear doors with the bulges in them.  

What I need to find out is how many people would be interested in a set of them?  You can’t build an accurate MiG-23BN from the HpH set without those items (sorry, not going to get into MiG-27 stuff).  If you’re interested, please let me know so I can figure out if we need to go to the trouble of creating molds, or simply 3D printing them (on a very high end machine) to order.  Right now I have no clue on the cost, so just gauging interest.

Hi Jennings, 

I fully understand the idea to avoid the 27 as it is quite probable my kit will be the only one of its kind. So, you should be totally crazy to create aftermarket for a single kit! And the 27 pods are only one part of the items I need to convert or scratchbuild. I wish you good luck for your set. 

By the way, here is a funny fact about the Hph set: The exhaust part is actually coming from the resin gate of the Aires MiG-23MF/ML exhaust afterburner part! 

2 hours ago, Jennings Heilig said:

So I’m having my CAD guy do the Delta-N pod, the main IP, and the nose gear doors with the bulges in them.  

What I need to find out is how many people would be interested in a set of them?  You can’t build an accurate MiG-23BN from the HpH set without those items (sorry, not going to get into MiG-27 stuff).  If you’re interested, please let me know so I can figure out if we need to go to the trouble of creating molds, or simply 3D printing them (on a very high end machine) to order.  Right now I have no clue on the cost, so just gauging interest.

Hello Jennings,

great CAD work here!

I'm in for two complete set.

Happy Easter!

Piero

Question about the wheel doors: 

If we look at these two pictures posted earlier in this topic:

SBAy8FH.jpg

dFRh2zX.jpg

Both are Mig-23B, both are empty stores. Fuel weight might be different but the angle of the wheeldoors are different from one aircrfat to another? 

Why? 

is that dependant on aircraft parked/moving, 

It's something I have been noticing on straight Mig-23 as well, so inquiring minds wants to know :)

thanks

10 hours ago, red Dog said:

I have no interest in a Mig-23B, but the prospect of a late Mig-27 is really appealing to me. Who knows I might  :)

Hello Olivier,

The pods were only present on the early Mig-27, not on the K, M or D. And if you start from the LEM kit, you have the correct LG doors. Moreover each mark had a different IP.

I'm using the Hph BN nose  as it is very similar to the early 27 one. The LEM kit gives a MiG-27M nose but this is the worst part of the kit (far too deep). This explains why I'm finally using the Hph nose. Alas, there is a difference of 4mm of heigth between both noses! So, I had to decrease the heigth of the LEM front fuselage. This is solved but now I have to decrease the heigth of the air intakes. And, guess what, this asks for decreasing the LERX thickness...whereas I just converted them to the early type (without the front fairings)... I'm not recommending this crazy surgery work to anyone. Fortunately, I'm solving all problems one after the other. I just ended scratchbuilding the new  cockpit panels and found a way to use the Aires main  LG bays. This will ask for some epoxy putty to be faired in as both planes had a different fuselage cross-section because the 27 had thicker tires than the BN. Finally, I'm also wondering about the accuracy of the BN exhaust ring. I will probably use it as such in spite of the fact it was probably corrugated with reinforcing slots. I'm still checking... 

Interesting remarks about the gear doors! I did not take care about it before. 

When the plane is flying with the landing gear out, the main door lower edge is horizontal. It looks the position is variable when the plane is parked or moving on the ground. As it is also more horinzontal when the pilot is strapped in, I guess this is probably caused by the hydraulic pressure. It goes down on a parked aircraft and because of the weight the door is pivoting on the axis with the front going down. Just an hypothesis but this looks quite logical to me. 

9 hours ago, Jennings Heilig said:

Jennings,

great news!Count me in for 1 set!

Cheers - Reimund

13 hours ago, Jennings Heilig said:

Thanks for doing this - I'm in for two sets

Hi gents,

As I was looking for other pictures, I found that one on a Russian website:

izxJVSp.jpg

It is not a 23BN but a MiG-27 and very probably a late type at the beginning of the eighties (black and white picture but with a false UB canopy painted on the spine and the additional switches panel on the rear bulkhead). However, look closely at the armor rear edge location!

There is an angle so it is difficult to be 100% affirmative but this one rather looks a little bit more like the HpH depiction even if the rear edge location does not look to be that far backwards. Note that the front end location did not really change in comparison with the pictures I published last week. By the way,  I also checked other starboard side pictures. They were not as good but were similar to the prior ones (armor rear edge aligned with the canopy). Accordingly, I'm wondering if MiG did not use armor plates with slightly different lengths.

So, I cannot conclude if this means the MiG-23BN nose is correct or not at this stage but at least there are some reasons to consider it is "possibly more accurate". At least now you have a better reason to leave your kit as it is unless you decided to reproduce a plane that is clearly showing the common armor configuration.

I know now what I will do as correcting that fully was going to be quite time-consuming. I will probably simply remove a little bit of the rear edge. As I had a lot of difficulties to find good pictures of Soviet early MiG-27s, I was considering not reproducing a specific plane. Doing the same for a BN is probably a good strategy as well!

Thierry

Alas, the MiG-27M had a noticeably different IP.

All mud-movers marks had different front instrument panels, the side consoles being globally identical.

The port side of the IP was generally identical whereas the top and the starboard side were noticeably different.

Edited by thierry laurent
Edited for correction

Indeed.

Note that modifying or making oneself an IP out of photoetched parts is not that difficult. You need a good reference, a good eyesight, good lighting, patience and a trick: Do not use CA glue!!! 

I made mine with Klear in an old bottle of Tamiya glue (you can use any acrylic clear with a small brush) and this is relatively easy. 

For a Mig-27M, the important change will be the large TV-shaped screen on the top right side of the IP.