Dead domed city

spacewolf

This is brilliant. I love it.

One observation: it is likely the water would have boiled off into space if the dome is broken. However, I like the look of the blue around the city so am not suggesting that you change anything.

Good observation but read on... it will all come clear when the story is concluded.

Taking shape nicely. Love it :popcorn:

Btw, given the size of the crater, your hole in the dome need not be very big...you could even have a fun game to let people find the said hole... « Where is Charlie the meteorite hole ? »

Hubert

Darn space bats taking big dumps whilst zooming through the atmosphere... :rofl:

Ok... All will come clear as the glue fumes and styrene dust clouds settle ! It' s update time !! Thanks for all the comments and idea's guys ! Gives me all kinds of idea's for more builds !

So, here we go !  I had decided on a variation of the poison planet, a planet much like earth but where everything including the atmosphere was poison to humans.. (are these space travelers human.. hmmm.. :hmmm: )  Anyhoo... off to the hobby shop for... shrubberies !... three different shades..

Ux66QHY.jpg

First thing was to show the jungle slowly reclaiming the city...

YlmBMzg.jpg

Popping the dome on it looked convincing...

R2lc3QF.jpg

Not having done landscaping/ diorama stuff in decades there was a learning curve... rough sand the base with 80 grit sandpaper, then a couple of coats of Tamyia flat black.. then mixing up the shrubbery !

RXdsXdL.jpg

The landing platform was painted Vallejo wet concrete, then washed with MM camo grey, then a wash of the wet concrete mixed with black to get a darker shading..

5uqfZUR.jpg

The last tube section from the landing pad was added and then the dome glued on finally... and the shrubberies continued..

aC54CAZ.jpg

And a bit later you have one voracious jungle trying to digest the city...

ynfAPiJ.jpg

The landing pad looked just the way I hoped it would...

WofF5xf.jpg

But that rocket ship.... it was tooo... something. I had just gone over it with my chrome paint pen... looked awesome...

82WMZ8E.jpg

However, on the diorama it looked toy like... so out with silver black and red paint...

SBcNfaQ.jpg

This looks MUCH better methinks !

j7n0NuE.jpg

I had been racking my brain for a name/ theme for this... but it was the conversation from you guys that triggered the choice... we had talked about this being sci- fi retro.. going back to the 50's .. novels and comic books..... what better than a comic book style word box ! .... so I cut a backplate from .060, edged it in more .o60 and cut out the letters from .020...

yZ9748W.jpg

Angle bits added on the back...

M4u0vaf.jpg

The sides of the base painted flat black...

C7G1Sk0.jpg

The name plate just made the whole thing POP ! :yahoo:

Tamyia red and brown for the colors... man it looked good !!

Hfk6w0y.jpg

... and suddenly I realized it was done..... it was kind of a odd moment as I'd been flying along and BOOM....it was finished.... and I realized I had finally come up to Russ.s standard... less than a month from start top finish !... so I went out and got a Strawberry milkshake in his memory..

hOQpBvq.jpg

So here we are... the beauty shots... the story goes that a Mega Corp discovered this jewel of a planet, but everything was poisonous... the financial potential of the chemicals that made up everything could be huge if they could be mined.. so a research/ industrial complex was put down on the planet... everything went well till the day a small meteorite came into the atmosphere from high above the elliptic and at a slow enough speed that it only caused a small crater... however puncturing the dome killed almost everyone as the poison air spread everywhere... those who survived in sealed area's couldn't get to the ship and died a horrible death of starvation... the ship on the pad stopped any outside rescue as nothing else could land with the ship on the pad. The Mega Corp wrote off the effort and moved on....so the sun rises every day over the lost colony...

YbS65It.jpg

r8iMp4M.jpg

yC7PT8l.jpg

R6LrAXn.jpg

XwfUUTt.jpg

Kfy3N4a.jpg