1/32 Revell Fw 190 F-8 & A-8: Working on the wheel wells!

VintageEagle

3 hours ago, nmayhew said:

all the talk was that the kit legs were too long / the extension was too great and simulated an aircraft suspended - not even bearing its own weight - when the kit came out I seem to remember, and by their own admission synth works have copied the kit parts in terms of dimensions

Hi Nick

This post on WIP that Roger sent to me is what led me to keep the length of the legs as presented in the kit:

Cheers,

Damian

and further to this, I have looked at some albeit rather grainy pics of 190s where they have had the gear covers removed or cropped and they actually look much closer to the kit / synth ord works legs, rather than the Brassin ones

so I stand corrected

:)

Thank you all for your encouraging comments.

19 hours ago, nmayhew said:

hi,

can you post a proper side by side of the synth works legs and the brassin ones?

all the talk was that the kit legs were too long / the extension was too great and simulated an aircraft suspended - not even bearing its own weight - when the kit came out I seem to remember, and by their own admission synth works have copied the kit parts in terms of dimensions

beautiful work by the way!!

nmayhew, I first remembered the same discussion that you mentioned, but could not find it anymore when I looked for it recently. Instead, I found the discussion posted by Damian, which basically states that the kit gear length is correct while Eduard got it wrong. I just compared wartime photos with the Eduard and Revell and Synthetic Ordnance Works legs, and I can definitely say that the Eduard legs (or oleo struts) are too short while the Revell/SOW legs look about right. I haven't taken any measurements, however. Below is a comparison (the scissor links are only loosely placed next to the SOW leg for comparison):

49870303671_da7e3150d8_k_d.jpg

49870609897_b9a536f1f9_k_d.jpg

49870610052_3e8b890fd8_k_d.jpg

Cheers,

Roger

16 hours ago, D.B. Andrus said:

Hi Roger

Here are some process shots of how I dealt with outboard wing gun port using some aluminum tubing:

trW1jk.jpg

Rp4IJg.jpg

RGOILY.jpg

5ECO4z.jpg

1m3YIJ.jpg

EjGEDe.jpg

qXTn2w.jpg

WiIc99.jpg

HTH,

Damian

Hi Damian,

Thank you very much for this mini-tutorial. I tried the same with a plastic tube, but failed. An aluminium tube seem to be the better option as it is stronger. I'll give it another try, but will have to order a tube online first (all shops are still closed over here due to Covid) and I am not sure if I manage to align it so well as you did on your build. 

Cheers,

Roger

On 5/8/2020 at 5:01 PM, D.B. Andrus said:

Hi Roger

The toothpick in the end of the tubing gives enough length to help align the port to the proper angle.  No worries, mate.

Cheers,

Damian

Hi Damian,

Thanks to your mini tutorial I managed to recreate the cover. I used a plastic tube, but followed your process after I removed the raised panel that Revell provided and rescribed the panel lines of the cover.

I'll tested it first on a replacement wing and just completed the installation on the riveted wing. I'll have to sand and enlarge the hole diameter after the top of the wing is installed, but that will be easy. I am quite happy with the result. Below are some photos of the parts and result.

The last photo (from my personal collection and hence the watermark) shows the cover on a real aircraft. The hole was actually quite big (almost as big as the wing root MG 151 hole in the wing's leading edge). 

Cheers,

Roger

49893985223_2b5df7b279_k_d.jpg

49893985313_0799e39b6c_o_d.jpg

49894808437_08866b6134_o_d.jpg

49894022548_b0f801ebd1_o_d.png

I am waiting for some copper wires to arrive to finish the wheel well. Meanwhile, I started to work on the BMW 801. Most will be hidden, so no detailing and not even removing all seam lines except for on the front. What will be visible is the BMW logothat can be seen in e.g. the photos below (the second is a modern BMW emblem and is not the original one that was attached). Unfortunately, I don't have such a decal. Hence my questions:

1) Does anybody have a close-up of the BMW emblem on a BMW 801 (ideally even a wartime photo)? I am not 100% sure if these emblems were always attached.

2) Does anybody know where to get either existing decals? If not, I'll try to cut it from blue and white decals as good as I can.

Cheers,

Roger

29213096890_200789bc56_k_d.jpg

0008_Hannover_Laatzen_Focke-Wulf_Fw_190_

Edited by VintageEagle

Hi Mark, 

It was slightly different and had a gold circle and text. Please have a look at the BMW page: 

https://www.bmw.com/de/automotive-life/bmw-logo-bedeutung-geschichte1.html

OK, maybe I find one on a vintage car decal sheet, but I would then have to buy the whole kit for just the tiny decal. I'll probably just try to spray the white / blue parts and leave the BMW letters as they would be so tiny anyways and less visible compared to the white / blue portions. 

Cheers,

Roger

Edited by VintageEagle