Kitty Hawk's OV-10 A/C Main Wing Update 9/8/2017

Joel_W

Great work!!!! Did you get the CD yet?

I had to resend it

Vandy,

Yes, it came the other day, but my wife left it with the rest of the mail, and I didn't see it till yesterday. I wasn't on site till today. Thanks so much as I can use all the help I can get with this build.

Joel

Very convincing pit, Joel! And rant on my friend!

Shaka Hi

Thanks so much my friend. 

I've spent the rest of the afternoon working out a set of linking square  solid rod braces so that the wing sections are rock solidi once glued together. I'll post pictures once all the clamps are off so I can tape the wing together for a proper dry fit.  I'm also going to deviate from the instruction sequence and glue the outer top sections to the center section. This will allow me to clamp the  rods firmly in place while the epoxy is drying. Then I'll glue the bottom halve on as well.  Then the wing to the fuselage, and finally the  engine booms to the wing. At least that's the plan of attack.

Joel

Joel,

I was beginning to consider sending out a search party.  Very glad to see you back in business!  The cockpit looks great, and the wire bundles are a great add.  Thanks for yet another lesson.

The construction of that wing is baffling.  I agree.  Shoot them all!

Keep up the good work!

Gaz

I like it, Joel. Pit looks terrific, I love what you've done with the wiring.

Jim

Hey Jim,

So glad you like the pit. One thing I'll say for the wiring, it's certainly eye catching. Still thinking about adding a few more bundles.

Joel

Joel,

I was beginning to consider sending out a search party.  Very glad to see you back in business!  The cockpit looks great, and the wire bundles are a great add.  Thanks for yet another lesson.

The construction of that wing is baffling.  I agree.  Shoot them all!

Keep up the good work!

Gaz

Gary,

wow !! I'm impressed, a search party for me.  the pit really took longer then I thought it would before I had enough done for an update. Work and home life made LSP time a lot less then I'm used to. But I'm back now. 

Joel

That's just lovely.....really tidy and neat wiring ......all that hard work will pay off as almost all will be visible thru the big canopy......

Tracking for updates.....

Rgds

Mr. B

Thanks so much for stopping by and checking out my build. it's really much appreciated.  

Joel

Looking really good so far! The wing assembly is quite shocking indeed... clearly "underengineered", similar to Trumpeter's Super Hornet kit. I'll be following your build closely as I have the OV-1D in my stash waiting to be started...

Ben,

Thank you my friend for stopping by. yeah, I was surprised at their lack of engineering with the wing. I had their Cougar F9F and when I saw that each fuselage half was comprised of 4 pcs each, back into the box it went.  This wing brought back that nightmare in a nano second. 

The good news is that my fix seems to be working. I've had to modify my plan a little, but the wing will end up being super strong, as it needs to be, as it will be holding the entire weight of the engine booms and the landing gear.

Joel

Not sure how I missed this build.  The pit looks fantastic!  The wire bundles totally add to the realism, nice work...

Bryan

Bryan,

so glad that you found my build as your opinions and views are always welcome. yep, the bundles not only came out way better then I thought that they would, but they just about took center stage in the Pit.

Joel

Well, what started out as a really enjoyable build with some enhancing of the cockpit, has taken the usual KH turn for the worse with the main wing assembly. My God, what a true nightmare due to complex over engineering for the sake of just how many pieces can they make a wing out of. As I  said in an earlier post I decided to make the complete wing assembly prior to attaching it the fuselage  just in case there was any alignment issues. And boy are there issues, at least in my build.  :fight:  :BANGHEAD2: 

As I said, I glued the top pieces together then using square Balsa wood rather then bass tubing as I didn't have any, and none of the big box craft stores carries it. I wasn't going to place an order online to two pieces and end up paying twice the price for just shipping. the Balsa is really strong, and once doubled up by the leading edge, and a single piece by the trailing edge, the wing became extremely stiff and strong. I sealed the Balsa with a few coats of an oil based wood sealer, but didn't bother to sand it smooth as no one will ever see it once the Bronco is in the books. 

SzUkCR.jpg

I even filed recesses where the joints are so that the wing isn't warped out of alignment. 

Once the sealer dried for a few days I glued on the outer wing sections to the top of the wing which fit perfectly. Next came the dreaded inner wing sections. These fit between the fuselage and engine booms, so alignment is critical. Unfortunately, the engineers and designers at KH didn't feel it was necessary to have a single alignment pin. I used the leading edges, back flat sections with the square holes for the flaps, and a few raised plates along the leading edge for proper alignment. I made absolutely sure that I the leading and trailing surfaces were as close to perfect as possible before taping them to dry. 

7nWhSx.jpg

L3vWju.jpg

Here is the Starboard side of the wing. both sections are aligned correctly, and have the proper contour and Dihedral. 

QRCmk8.jpg

Next the port side. which the inner section's dihedral is way to flat.

yJHJly.jpg

this now resulted in a horrendous fit issue. 

this is how the Starboard side aligns and fits. No tperfect, but close enough to work with and achieve the correct alignment. 

WJ3ziT.jpg

this is how the Port side turned out. the Results are as I said horrendous. The inner wing section is actually BELOW the fuselage joining surface!!

l4Usq8.jpg

7aYwvX.jpg

this folks isn't a fixable option without having to cut the inner section in half and raise it. So before I did that, I taped up the engine boom and test fitted it. It does indeed fit with a small lip, nothing like the fuselage side. So raising one side, destroys the alignment on the boom side.  

Honestly, there isn't a workable solution that will end up with model that can be entered into next year's Noreastcon, which was the goal for the OV-10A. So at this point the build is  stopped dead in its tracks. I can't see where I screwed up as Starboard side fits just fine. Yes, I had to do quite a bit of filing and sanding the cockpit rear bulkhead to get the wing to fit flush without any pressure on the wing. Which it now does just fine. 

I've had zero luck with 3 Kitty Hawk kits, and none ever made it to the primer stage. Needless to say, I'll never ever buy another KH kit, no matter the scale, no matter how cheap, or even for free as a review sample as the F9F Cougar was. 

Joel

Wow, is all I can say Joel. I didnt have this many issues with either of my OV-10s, and after building two, Im definitely going to build myself a 3rd.   :(   Sorry you are having so many difficulties.   Im not sure where the problem lies, as I dont think I used any filler at all, save some on the leading edges of the main section. I actually found the fit of the wings excellent

DSC04196.jpg

DSC04198.jpg

DSC04230.jpg