Kitty Hawk's OV-10 A/C Main Wing Update 9/8/2017

Joel_W

Brian,

If you got such a perfect fit, then somewhere I had to screw up, but for the life of me, i can't see where I did. 

I did have a very minor lip on the bottome of the fuselage section, but a little bit of Bondo and blending fixed it perfectly. 

I used an old friend's philosophy that if it's already broken, you can't break it any worse, so go for it. I cut the lower panel down the centerline about a 1/2 of an inch, the worked a shim in while pulling up each side till it leveled out. It's workable, but I'm not happy with these results. 

Like I said, I keep on trying to find out where the issue came from. the inner section is just to flat compared to all the other sections which makes no sense. I could have tried to increase the dehidrel by warping the section and leaving it short where the flaps meet the back of the wing. No one would have been the wiser, but I didn't realize the issue then.

Joel

Joel, could you pack up the side that's too low with shims? Shouldn't adjust the other side too much. 

This is the reason I don't go for KH kits though, too many people have too many different problems with them that are avoidable. 

Breaker,

Like I said, I cut a 1/2 inch cut down the centerline of the bottom section, then wedged it open with spring clamps. I glued in a .020 shim to fix the spread. Now I just made sheet plastic shims to force the cut sections up. I really lucked out as the fit is now equal to the other side. Not perfect, but certainly workable. There is a small hump that I can feel with my finger but nothing as bad as I thought it would be.

Joel

I am with you, Joel. Kittyhawk kits are so alluring, but I have had nothing but nightmares from the T-28 I was building.....Unfortunately, it is probably destined for the scrap pile soon. Somehow the engine/ cockpit/ nosegear bay came out of alignment (The instructions were sh@t to begin with in this area), and now the five piece cowling cannot fit. It is geometrically impossible. They are overly complex in their break down, doing in ten parts what could be done in two......

So no more for me either. Many modelers sing their praises, but I have built Collect-Aire resin kits that were easier than this!

Keep your head up-

THOR      :ninja:   

I am with you, Joel. Kittyhawk kits are so alluring, but I have had nothing but nightmares from the T-28 I was building.....Unfortunately, it is probably destined for the scrap pile soon. Somehow the engine/ cockpit/ nosegear bay came out of alignment (The instructions were sh@t to begin with in this area), and now the five piece cowling cannot fit. It is geometrically impossible. They are overly complex in their break down, doing in ten parts what could be done in two......

So no more for me either. Many modelers sing their praises, but I have built Collect-Aire resin kits that were easier than this!

Keep your head up-

THOR      :ninja:   

Thor,

I feel you paint buddy. 

At least for now I can continue with my build.

Joel

I am with you, Joel. Kittyhawk kits are so alluring, but I have had nothing but nightmares from the T-28 I was building.....

Im actually, THOROUGHLY stunned. To me the one T-28 I made for Glen was one of THE most enjoyable kits Ive ever made!  The fit on the cowl and especially the lower landing gear door parts was so good in fact, I actually used them for masking the interiors. 

Im planning on making at least one more if not two.  

Wow!! Great that you solved the fit issues. I see this kit at the LHS and i keep picking it up and putting it down. Watching to see how the rest goes.

Don

Don,

Just because I had this issue, doesn't mean that it wasn't my fault. I just can't figure out what caused it. Brian built it twice and never had this issue.  So I'd say buy it, build it, and enjoy the build.

Joel

Thor,

I feel you paint buddy. 

At least for now I can continue with my build.

Joel

Well at least you can continue with her now. Looking forward to seeing the next stages.

Im actually, THOROUGHLY stunned. To me the one T-28 I made for Glen was one of THE most enjoyable kits Ive ever made!  The fit on the cowl and especially the lower landing gear door parts was so good in fact, I actually used them for masking the interiors. 

Im planning on making at least one more if not two.  

Yeah, Brian, me too. I find their instructions leave a huge amount to be desired. The whole power egg/cockpit/nosewheel well combo alignment was crap. I, like Joel, must have screwed the pooch on the alignment somehow, but it is not readily apparent. The only way the cowls would work would be to glue them on and epoxy putty all of the seams. And since my mojo has been lacking for a few years now (like 7 or 8) I just do not have the patience for these kinds of projects anymore.....so much so I have contemplated liquidating all 30 or so started kits in my closet......It just is not any fun anymore.

But I can still get my kicks on builds like this. Joel, keep it up man! Sorry for the minor thread hijack.

THOR    :ninja:

The bronco is no shake and build......it was only for my love for the subject ....I made it........I too had trouble with the wings.....but managed it.....when it's all done....you will love the results......great to hear you are back on track......as what you have done so far must n should be showcased.....wish you the best with the build......after the wings....it's smooth sailing......but watch those engine hatches n the canopy to piece....as well.....but nothing so severe.....

Rgds

Brian

Nice work on the pit, the bundled cables look really convincing!

Cheers,

Marcel

Marcel,

Thanks so much my friend for stopping by and checking out the Bronco. Glad that you like the way that the cabling came out. it even surprised me.

Joel

Well at least you can continue with her now. Looking forward to seeing the next stages.

Yeah, Brian, me too. I find their instructions leave a huge amount to be desired. The whole power egg/cockpit/nosewheel well combo alignment was crap. I, like Joel, must have screwed the pooch on the alignment somehow, but it is not readily apparent. The only way the cowls would work would be to glue them on and epoxy putty all of the seams. And since my mojo has been lacking for a few years now (like 7 or 8) I just do not have the patience for these kinds of projects anymore.....so much so I have contemplated liquidating all 30 or so started kits in my closet......It just is not any fun anymore.

But I can still get my kicks on builds like this. Joel, keep it up man! Sorry for the minor thread hijack.

THOR    :ninja:

Thor,

No problem. I wouldn't consider this a high jacking at all.  Gotta agree with you about HK's instructions as they're the typical hand drawn ambiguous Asian type. 

Been working on the wing assembly, and it actually looks near on perfect. Pics to follow in a few days.

Joel

The bronco is no shake and build......it was only for my love for the subject ....I made it........I too had trouble with the wings.....but managed it.....when it's all done....you will love the results......great to hear you are back on track......as what you have done so far must n should be showcased.....wish you the best with the build......after the wings....it's smooth sailing......but watch those engine hatches n the canopy to piece....as well.....but nothing so severe.....

Rgds

Brian

Brian,

thanks for the words of encouragement. I love the unusual more then the common place, so the Bronco is right up my alley. I'll give it my best to cross the finish line with a build worthy of a trip to next year's Noreastcon.

Joel