Tamiya announcement ?

Stinger16

Guest Peterpools

I'm with my brother on this one. While both the 109 and 190 are iconic aircraft, every major version has already hit the shelves many times over and the announced ZM 190 series will be released somewhere in the future with the promise of both the SMS and basic lines. While I've never missed a a Tamiya kit since the awesome Spits, and have multiples of most, I would most likely pass for the very first time. My stash does contain a few 109's and 190s, which satisfies my needs.

Peter

Edited by Peterpools

The 109, 190, Spitfire, Mustang are the big sellers that finance the "lesser" sellers. So, you gotta put up with that if you want that model of "anything else". In other words, those "popular" models do not "cancel" the possibity other models, they actually "enable" them. Buying these models is the only way to make sure that other models will be made in the future. If there is a market for that model of "anything else" , whatever that is, they will make it, but they need to finance it first.

Radu

I'm with my brother on this one. While both the 109 and 190 are iconic aircraft, every major version has already hit the shelves many times over and the announced ZM 190 series will be released somewhere in the future with the promise of both the SMS and basic lines. While I've never missed a a Tamiya kit since the awesome Spits, and have multiples of most, I would most likely pass for the very first time. My stash does contain a few 109's and 190s, which satisfies my needs.

Peter

Don't say that!!    They might hear you. :ph34r:

Guest Peterpools

Guys

I know and no one supports Tamiya more then I do. Half my stash and display case is Tamiya; just love 'em. But I gotta pull for where my heart is. I know deep down what pays the bills and most of my dream list will never see the Tamiya Double Stars on the box. But you always have to have hope, not to mention my brother and I are looking straight down the barrel of the big Seven Zero  this November, so time is also ticking away.

Peter

Edited by Peterpools

The 109, 190, Spitfire, Mustang are the big sellers that finance the "lesser" sellers. So, you gotta put up with that if you want that model of "anything else". In other words, those "popular" models do not "cancel" the possibity other models, they actually "enable" them. Buying these models is the only way to make sure that other models will be made in the future. If there is a market for that model of "anything else" , whatever that is, they will make it, but they need to finance it first.

Radu

Radub,

Unfortunately, that's not how major Corporations work these days. The "Financial Suits" as well as the Executive Boards have to answer to the stockholders with a dividend check every quarter. That's their primary function. Failure to deliver often means they get replaced sooner then later. They would never approve major funding for a new model project hoping that at best it will sell enough to break even or turn a small profit.  They leave those ventures to the smaller, limited run guys. Hence the propensity to keep on cranking out proven winners until they finally loose their appeal. Just don't be the company who ends up finding that out. 

Tamiya's main business is RC cars, not plastic models. I believe that the ZM also has a primary business other then plastic models. 

What I was alluding to was rather then another 109 or 190, how about a P-51B. It's mainstream as much as any earlier mark's versions. A  wide variety of countries that flew it,  and a great multitude of paint schemes and markings. Plus the fact that there is only two models in 1/32 scale, one being nearly 40 years old and showing its age, and the Trumpeter issue which has major shape and detail issues. 

Joel

Edited by Joel_W

Not in Tamiya's case.

Actually to the best of my knowledge almost all the model manufacturers are not publicly traded corporations. I believe Tamiya is 100% privately owned? Revell USA is owned by the employees of Hobbico, Revell Germany is privately owned..

Are there any publicly traded model companies? It's an interesting question.

Guest Peterpools

I surely wish Tamiya was publicly held. Then at the annual stockholders meeting and yearly reports, they would have to reveal their plans and upcoming releases! I certainly would be up to buying a few shares just for the info. :hmmm:

Did a bit of searching and Tamiya is a privately held company.

Peter

Edited by Peterpools

Tamiya's official name is Tamiya Inc. Whether or not all the shares are privately held or publically held isn't the point I was trying to make. Their number 1 focus is on making a profit to continue to stay in business and remain solvent. Making x number of kits to offset a planned poor release makes literally no sense in the business world.

Joel

Their number 1 focus is on making a profit to continue to stay in business and remain solvent.

That's the goal of every business on the planet. Some achieve it, most do not.

Making x number of kits to offset a planned poor release makes literally no sense in the business world.

What's a "planned poor release"?  I'm confused because no company in existence plans a poor release of any product.  The market is what determines product success or failure and to a lesser extent, brand reputation and marketing  (product, price, place and promotion) play a role in that as well.  Making X number of any limited product (as is the case with a model kit) is determined way in advance of any product release and is based on a great many factors, not the least of which is production cost and and anticipated ROI.  Every company hopes that its product will outperform its calculated expectations, some do, some do not. 

Manufacturers know that, for example, they will sell multiples of Mustangs/Spitfires/Messerschmitts for every Dornier Do 17. It does not take some kind of genius to figure that out. So, they will make a smaller run of the poor seller and a bigger run of the better seller. That balances things. The problem is that costs are more efficient for larger runs, in other words, the more you sell, the better the cost vs profit ratio. So, because selling Mustangs makes more money than selling Dorniers, they need both in order to make it work. Same applies in every kinds of sales, from needles to anvils. :-)

For example 30 bottles of Tamiya paint cost as much as one of their 1/32 Mustangs. Their paint is a more cost-effective product, and one finances another.

Radu