Another Hasegawa T bolt Bubbletop, my first LSP. November 12, 2022, It is DONE at last!!!!!!!!

Citadelgrad

On 9/11/2022 at 2:01 AM, MikeMaben said:

Turned out great Bill  :speak_cool:

Thanks so much, Mike, I do appreciate it.  I am really happy with at least this part of her.  

On 9/11/2022 at 3:31 AM, Archer Fine Transfers said:

Glad to see you're back on this.

You and me both.  It's been SO hot locally lately, the garage is almost always 90+, I have repeatedly vowed to install an AC< but this winter I hope to do it.  That will really let me build year round. 

On 9/11/2022 at 9:38 AM, scvrobeson said:

That came out great!  Awesome problem solving on this.

Matt 

Thanks, Matt.  It had me stumped for longer than I care to admit. The combination of brass tube and stretched sprue for the glass seemed like a no brainer, but introduced so many unnecessary joints that I was just stuck until I decided to take a step back and use the clear rod.  What a simplification, from a 3d puzzle to a painting exercise.   

On 9/11/2022 at 10:14 AM, TAG said:

Bravo, awesome solution, and totally looks the part! It's these little details that make all the difference, good on ya, Bill :thumbsup:

Thanks very much, I agree, they are almost always worth the trouble.  

17 hours ago, r0t0rdr1ver said:

Wow! Absolutely amazing build! Love the plumbing work, very clever approach.

Thank you for looking in.  See above, though, it had me stalled for a long time until I figured this out. 

3 hours ago, JayW said:

Bill - a very convincing job on the tank plumbing.  I love it.

Thanks, Jay, coming from the magical miniaturization machine you appear to use, that means a lot to me.  Thanks for following along. 

Bill 

I got two sway braces mounted.   Anyone building this kit, beware.  I missed the instructions telling me to open the mounting holes for these, so i had to cut off the pins, sand them flat, and cross my fingers.  It did give me a bit of up and down flexibility, so the mpads touch the tank, but it doesnt sit flush, only an edge touches. In the end, the fact that the tank, the braces, and the fuselage are all painted, and there is almost no room, i had to just get these close enough and move on.  I settled for parallel and just touching. 

GPih8Y.jpg

thanks for looking,

Bill

18 hours ago, Citadelgrad said:

I got two sway braces mounted.   Anyone building this kit, beware.  I missed the instructions telling me to open the mounting holes for these, so i had to cut off the pins, sand them flat, and cross my fingers.  It did give me a bit of up and down flexibility, so the mpads touch the tank, but it doesnt sit flush, only an edge touches. In the end, the fact that the tank, the braces, and the fuselage are all painted, and there is almost no room, i had to just get these close enough and move on.  I settled for parallel and just touching. 

GPih8Y.jpg

thanks for looking,

Bill

Really nice job on the plumbing Bill. On mine, I had to shorten up the mounting block that goes into the fuselage to get the sway braces to actually touch to tank. I probably removed 1 to 1 1/2 mm and the block ended up just about flush to the fuselage. Don't know that it's righ, but it looks good to me...

1 hour ago, Ayovan said:

Really nice job on the plumbing Bill. On mine, I had to shorten up the mounting block that goes into the fuselage to get the sway braces to actually touch to tank. I probably removed 1 to 1 1/2 mm and the block ended up just about flush to the fuselage. Don't know that it's righ, but it looks good to me...

Thanks.   Amazing the details we convince ourselves to sweat about.  

Someone posted a photo of the plumbing fixtures on a plane without a mounted tank, and it showed the sway braces really well.  the kit sway bars look nothing like the real deal.  That took away some of my desire to get this “just right. “

51 minutes ago, Citadelgrad said:

Thanks.   Amazing the details we convince ourselves to sweat about.  

Someone posted a photo of the plumbing fixtures on a plane without a mounted tank, and it showed the sway braces really well.  the kit sway bars look nothing like the real deal.  That took away some of my desire to get this “just right. “

Nice

when I built this kit a while back I looked and I looked and for the life of me couldn’t find definitively where that plumbing went into the fuselage - I even registered on some subscription plans / technical drawings site and couldn’t find it there either (although there was probably too much info there rather than not enough).

anyway, I like what you have done with it

On 9/14/2022 at 3:31 PM, nmayhew said:

Nice

when I built this kit a while back I looked and I looked and for the life of me couldn’t find definitively where that plumbing went into the fuselage - I even registered on some subscription plans / technical drawings site and couldn’t find it there either (although there was probably too much info there rather than not enough).

anyway, I like what you have done with it

Thank you.   There is not a great deal of readily available information, but I started a thread 

This one photo from TAG in particular, shows where the penetrations are.  

SBp5v6n.jpg

Edit to add, here is my interpretation of the same area

GPih8Y.jpg

Edited by Citadelgrad

• 2 weeks later...

Painted up the oleos that move the inner gear doors.

6J15WZ.jpg

i went with a darker zc for the mechanism and a chrome pen to do the oleo itself. That nasty nub on the mechanism is not a sprue gate, i cleaned it a bit but i might have to remove it, it looks bad blown up. 
OKPZEj.jpg

more later. Not sure how long the chrome needs to set up. 

Well, even though i am almost finished, i could not break with tradition and have a smooth session. 

so i went ahead and used epoxy to glue the inner gear doors, and i got the angle just right. 

aOS1TX.jpg

just as i was noting that the gear doors make it very hard to see the tank plumbing, i realized that i had made a mental note during my research that there is an unpainted panel on the inner gear doors, so i pried them off, breaking one of the fragile mounting points off.  

but i did manage to shoot some allclad aluminum and i think the contrast makes for some interest.  
3YBD7J.jpg

3ZbIEt.jpg

dXYNKF.jpgq

heres the undamaged door, and right behind it you can see the plumbing that gave me all that trouble.  

i am pleased to report that while i was detail painting the hydraulic arm for these inner doors, i misplaced one and had to sweep the entire area into a dustpan, and i found it at last. Recovery!!!

Now to let that broken mount set up overnight, then i will install the second door, then on to the main gear doors, the flaps, which need some repair, the dorsal aerial, the d handle on the canopy, the guns, and the pitot tube.  

seems like only ive yeas ago that i started this build.  

• Citadelgrad changed the title to Another Hasegawa T bolt Bubbletop, my first LSP. October 4, inner gear doors on, then off, now halfway back on!!

Bill - just great stuff from a guy who knows a thing or two about P-47.  I like the natural metal panel on the gear doors; a necessary addition.

8 hours ago, Citadelgrad said:

the dorsal aerial

Do you mean the long antenna wire from the aft cockpit to the top of the fin?  If so, check your sources.  According to mine, the 8th AF in Europe didn't use the low freq (Detrola) radio and the equipment was removed in the field including the aerial.  MOF - my 1/18 P-51 has a little scratch built clear plastic cover that seals the hole in the bubble canopy - a modification kit provided to units during the war.  Don't know about 9th AF, but doesn't matter - yours is 8th AF.    Then again - as more and more units flew ground support for the invasion of the continent (at least 9th AF units but probably 8th as well), P-47 pilots had direct communication with tank commanders, and I do not know what kind of radios were used.

Edited by JayW

1 hour ago, JayW said:

Bill - just great stuff from a guy who knows a thing or two about P-47.  I like the natural metal panel on the gear doors; a necessary addition.

Do you mean the long antenna wire from the aft cockpit to the top of the fin?  If so, check your sources.  According to mine, the 8th AF in Europe didn't use the low freq (Detrola) radio and the equipment was removed in the field including the aerial.  MOF - my 1/18 P-51 has a little scratch built clear plastic cover that seals the hole in the bubble canopy - a modification kit provided to units during the war.  Don't know about 9th AF, but doesn't matter - yours is 8th AF.    Then again - as more and more units flew ground support for the invasion of the continent (at least 9th AF units but probably 8th as well), P-47 pilots had direct communication with tank commanders, and I do not know what kind of radios were used.

HI Jay, thank you for the kind words. 

I mean the mast itself, my sources don't seem to show any wire, just the mast sticking up.  That seems to mesh with your research, which is comforting.

tcinla_201102_5fa0559f57ec6.jpg

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ3vdzpsmPKc_PxaiFoOhR

17 hours ago, Citadelgrad said:

Well, even though i am almost finished, i could not break with tradition and have a smooth session. 

so i went ahead and used epoxy to glue the inner gear doors, and i got the angle just right. 

aOS1TX.jpg

just as i was noting that the gear doors make it very hard to see the tank plumbing, i realized that i had made a mental note during my research that there is an unpainted panel on the inner gear doors, so i pried them off, breaking one of the fragile mounting points off.  

but i did manage to shoot some allclad aluminum and i think the contrast makes for some interest.  
3YBD7J.jpg

3ZbIEt.jpg

dXYNKF.jpgq

heres the undamaged door, and right behind it you can see the plumbing that gave me all that trouble.  

i am pleased to report that while i was detail painting the hydraulic arm for these inner doors, i misplaced one and had to sweep the entire area into a dustpan, and i found it at last. Recovery!!!

Now to let that broken mount set up overnight, then i will install the second door, then on to the main gear doors, the flaps, which need some repair, the dorsal aerial, the d handle on the canopy, the guns, and the pitot tube.  

seems like only ive yeas ago that i started this build.  

Coming down the home stretch Bill. It really does look good. Great workmanship.

• Citadelgrad changed the title to Another Hasegawa T bolt Bubbletop, my first LSP. November 12, 2022, It is DONE at last!!!!!!!!