Another Hasegawa T bolt Bubbletop, my first LSP. November 12, 2022, It is DONE at last!!!!!!!!

Citadelgrad

5 hours ago, MikeMaben said:

Looking good Bill,  I don't see any stencils on those blades, just the HS logos.

First a cleaned up pic of your subject   ...

abcd3UF.jpg

Then a pic of another with what looks like wear marks on the blades where there may have been cuffs previously.

saij7zr.png

....what do ya think ?

Those look like stencils to me - too similar between the two blades we can see to be wear marks, IMHO.

10 hours ago, MikeMaben said:

Looking good Bill,  I don't see any stencils on those blades, just the HS logos.

First a cleaned up pic of your subject   ...

abcd3UF.jpg

Then a pic of another with what looks like wear marks on the blades where there may have been cuffs previously.

saij7zr.png

....what do ya think ?

HI Mike,

Very difficult for me to say.  The photos almost look like a blowup of a low resolution decal, there is something there, but it does not look like letters or words.  Whatever it is, it is much closer to the hub than my stenciling, so off it comes with the logos.  

Edited by Citadelgrad

Found this....

p-thunderbolt-propeller-radial-engine-frontal-41448070.jpg

From here: P-47 Thunderbolt Propeller stock photo. Image of aircraft - 41448070 (dreamstime.com)

and 

detail_p47_04

From here: Republic P-47D Thunderbolt in Detail – IPMS Stockholm

Searched: markings on p 47d hamilton standard propeller blades

Hope it helps.

:beer:

Cheers, 

Dave

32 minutes ago, Hartmann352 said:

Found this....

p-thunderbolt-propeller-radial-engine-frontal-41448070.jpg

From here: P-47 Thunderbolt Propeller stock photo. Image of aircraft - 41448070 (dreamstime.com)

and 

detail_p47_04

From here: Republic P-47D Thunderbolt in Detail – IPMS Stockholm

Searched: markings on p 47d hamilton standard propeller blades

Hope it helps.

:beer:

Cheers, 

Dave

Nice. That does help Dave. Thank you.

Andy

Edited by Ayovan

20 hours ago, MikeMaben said:

Yep, those (vertical) look like the Gabreski photo, just worn somewhat.

There 'were' other stencils tho ...

vSEsVZw.png

I've seen that photo Mike, along with others showing the same stenciling. Like you said though, it wasn't what was on Gabreski's plane. 

The prop debate rages on.   Well, one this is certain, the full blade HGW transfers, while very nice, put the Hamilton Standard logo far too close to the tips.  They belong at the midpoint.   And if theres one motto for my building, its “fix what you can.  Dont move upon until you have the best result you can achieve.”

so, tonight i did this::

accepted that despite the nice effect of the transfers, this is wrong

QrXo62.jpg

Out came the tape

tD9Wjo.jpg

I used MRP black, i love the way this goes down.   And the trnasfers are so thin, i would just paint over them, as they are basically just paint.  

uh, no.  I got good coverage but could see the transfers through the paint.  Out came the micromesh sponges, throught the whole range, i have the smoothest prop in town. 

then the black went down….again.

sKYSzh.jpg

I’ll let that set up tomorrow, big family day, and Sunday i will hit it with gloss and see if i can not screw up the decals out own Woody sent me to fix this issue, thanks, Woody.  I was even able to find them, because i wasnt about to stsrt this unless i had them in my hands.  

i also stuck the alclad painted stainless blast tubes in place to see the contrast and what she will soon look like with teeth. 
GZ2fTP.jpg

Should i put 5 minute epoxy carefully in the holes to affix these?

then i snapped some beauty shots.  It really is a nice color scheme. I know its been done to death but its a pretty plane. 

1rWH2p.jpg

Even with a naked prop, she pops. 

5Jev7a.jpg

oh, i almost forgot.  The reason i even sat down tonight was to rassle with the drop tank.  I missed the part where i needed to drill locator holes in the belly for the stays.  If the tank wasnt in  EVERY photo of this bird, I would leave it off.  So i cut off the locator pins and cleaned the sways and shot them with aluminum.  They look like chrome. 

Md5LYO.jpg

I will scratch some semblance of plumbing, theres really no indication on the tank or the belly where it should stsrt or end up, then i will try to get these on without getting glue all over the underside. 

getting close now.  I need to decide which will be my next build. 

thanks for looking, thanks Woody for the decals, and thanks for the support.  

Bill

• Citadelgrad changed the title to Another Hasegawa T bolt Bubbletop, my first LSP. April 22-23, Let’s fix the prop logos and other small things, almost there?
3 hours ago, Citadelgrad said:

I’ll let that set up tomorrow, big family day, and Sunday i will hit it with gloss and see if i can not screw up the decals out own Woody sent me to fix this issu

No gloss coat needed for these. They're actually dry transfers on a water soluble coated release base with no clear film. You have extras so do a test. 

23 hours ago, Citadelgrad said:

The prop debate rages on.   Well, one this is certain, the full blade HGW transfers, while very nice, put the Hamilton Standard logo far too close to the tips.  They belong at the midpoint.   And if theres one motto for my building, its “fix what you can.  Dont move upon until you have the best result you can achieve.”

so, tonight i did this::

accepted that despite the nice effect of the transfers, this is wrong

QrXo62.jpg

Out came the tape

tD9Wjo.jpg

I used MRP black, i love the way this goes down.   And the trnasfers are so thin, i would just paint over them, as they are basically just paint.  

uh, no.  I got good coverage but could see the transfers through the paint.  Out came the micromesh sponges, throught the whole range, i have the smoothest prop in town. 

then the black went down….again.

sKYSzh.jpg

I’ll let that set up tomorrow, big family day, and Sunday i will hit it with gloss and see if i can not screw up the decals out own Woody sent me to fix this issue, thanks, Woody.  I was even able to find them, because i wasnt about to stsrt this unless i had them in my hands.  

i also stuck the alclad painted stainless blast tubes in place to see the contrast and what she will soon look like with teeth. 
GZ2fTP.jpg

Should i put 5 minute epoxy carefully in the holes to affix these?

then i snapped some beauty shots.  It really is a nice color scheme. I know its been done to death but its a pretty plane. 

1rWH2p.jpg

Even with a naked prop, she pops. 

5Jev7a.jpg

oh, i almost forgot.  The reason i even sat down tonight was to rassle with the drop tank.  I missed the part where i needed to drill locator holes in the belly for the stays.  If the tank wasnt in  EVERY photo of this bird, I would leave it off.  So i cut off the locator pins and cleaned the sways and shot them with aluminum.  They look like chrome. 

Md5LYO.jpg

I will scratch some semblance of plumbing, theres really no indication on the tank or the belly where it should stsrt or end up, then i will try to get these on without getting glue all over the underside. 

getting close now.  I need to decide which will be my next build. 

thanks for looking, thanks Woody for the decals, and thanks for the support.  

Bill

Well, your not the only one that didn't drill  for the drop tank stays. I looked at the plans, and didn't see it called out either. I'll be watching how you install them.

I ALMOST lost a gun barrel in the wing too. It disappeared, but came back out when I tilted the wing. That woulda sucked lol