Grey Matters Hurricane Stuff.....

Big Texan

Got to say, I'm more than a little disappointed in Grey Matter's Hurricane cockpit set, prop and spinner, stuff. I say this because I think the molds are long in the tooth. The cockpit side tubing walls is warped, thin, and spindly, and does not seem to be 1/32 scale any longer due to shrinkage. The prop blades are ok, but the spinner is warped and back plate is oval, not round. One of my spinners is cracked at one of the prop openings. I like their stuff because it would improve Revell's Hurricanes, just disappointed.

Using the Grey Matters pit as a model, I haven't decided to either build one from brass wire or plastic rod. Leaning more to using plastic rod because it would be easier to glue than to solder wire. Also, easier to clean up with a swipe of a sanding stick or piece of sand paper. The prop spinner and back plate is a different story. The crack is easy to repair, but the warpage I'm not sure what to do about. The back plate ain't worth a tinker's damn. Not sure what to do about it. The old revell back plate matches up, but the prop space is a bit wider than the spinner. Easy enough to make spinner spaces to match. I'm afraid the space may look gigantic once the props are installed.

So, just doing some West Texas venting and seeking some ideas from the sage masters on board here.

:tumble:

I thought about it, but didn't think it would get much traction. Especially since they are located across the pond. I had a similar issue with an MDC pit for the Revell Typhoon. I did contact them and they made good. The pit was better, but the seat seemed small. I ordered a seat from Barracuda and there is a marked difference between the two. Barracuda seat was true to scale and better detailed. Hard to beat Barracuda products, period. Kinda wish ole Roy would produce sets for these old Revell standbys that seem to be plentiful still. Enough Spit and Mustang pits and details, let's get cracking on the Hurricane, Typhoon, Corsair, P-40E, and Wildcat that are still out in big numbers. Also, how about an update for the Hasegawa Ki-43 Oscar which is still a great kit. And a backdate version to make Ki-43 I version. 

Yeah, I'm feeling ornery today. Apologies to anyone I've offended.

That is a shame for sure. I would recommend contacting Grey Matter and at least put the ball in their court. Never hurts to let a company know that you received suspect parts.

As for Barracuda I too wish that Roy would add some goodies to their line for some of the older 1/32 kits out there. The Hurricane, Typhoon, P-40E in the least.

Later,

Lee

Definitely let them know. I have ordered a few things from them in the past and they always struck me as an honourable bunch. For the cost of an e-mail, it will let them know they have an issue with their QC, quite apart from the opportunity to square things for you. And you paid good money. You should expect servicable goods in return!

I used one of Grey Matters cockpit sets for a PCM build towards the end of 2015, was pretty happy with the quality and built up pretty nicely.

20151015_191442_zpsylxkeayr.jpg

and under a coat of paint

20151201_211328_zpspqzy711t.jpg

Agreed it was quite a fragile assembly but it maybe worth getting in contact with them regarding the casting quality.

Regards. Andy

I checked my Huricane stuff from them and it all looks good. I would rather have the cockpit tubular structure a bit under scale. And it has some flash. As to the seat... the industry seems to have passed through phases over the years offering seats first too big then too small. Now the Baracuda stuff is just right. I wonder which rear end Hasegawa measured before they offered their Spitfire V years ago.

Rick

Well, thanks fellas! Andy, I wish my stuff looked like yours! Mine is warped, to include the front wall where the tube frames go into. Badly warped. The rear piece is also warped.

Wasn't sure if you could treat resin parts like plastic with the hot water treatment. I will have to give this a try.

Don't get me wrong fellas, I wasn't bad mouthing Grey Matters, I'm sure they are good folks. Just had to get over my disappointment. Will contact them and I'm sure they'll do me right.

Thanks to one and all!