P-51 and F-51

P-51D Man

When the US Air Force was established in 1947, the designation for fighters was changed from Pursuit (P) to Fighter (F). Simple as that really.

Some associate the late P-51D features with the designation F-51D but it's just a letter change, and red bar added to national insignia. 

Mainly just the uncuffed Hamilton Standard prop. :popcorn:

I know the popcorn meant that you were teasing...but just to be clear for those who might not know, there was no equipment change from P-51D to F-51D. It was a designation change. You can find plenty of photos of Air National Guard Ds with cuffed props, and F-51Ds in Korea with cuffed Hamilton Standard props. 

And you call yourself P-51D man??? LOL Absolutely no difference in the a/c. Just a change in the system when the USAF was born in 1947.

If memory serves, Ed joined and created that user name while he was working on the Dragon 1:32 Mustang.

It's an interesting point though, some may assume a user name reflects a great knowledge about a particular subject, but that's not necessarily so.

The late P-51D and the F-51D had only one minor exterior difference, which is a small air scoop on the lower left front cowl forward of the wing. This was for cooling air blown directly on a battery located at that spot that would/could over heat. I think the Tamiya kit has that scoop in place right out of the box. It is on Page 13 of the plans and is shown to be removed, at least on the "D" & "K" kit.

Ok fellas, so I watched a good war movie last night called Battle Hymn. Set during the Korean war. The aircraft used were F-51 mustang. So what is the difference between the P-51 Mustang and the F-51 Mustang?

This has me wondering.

Ed

It's like painting a car red. 

F stands for faster.

True story!  :innocent:

:evil_laugh:

;)

I know the popcorn meant that you were teasing...but just to be clear for those who might not know, there was no equipment change from P-51D to F-51D. It was a designation change. You can find plenty of photos of Air National Guard Ds with cuffed props, and F-51Ds in Korea with cuffed Hamilton Standard props. 

Meee ? teasing ? I was just throwing it out there as an option.

I would still say most Fs had no cuffs :popcorn:

Meee ? teasing ? I was just throwing it out there as an option.

I would still say most Fs had no cuffs :popcorn:

😊 I agree that the uncuffed prop was much more common later. It's just that the prop and the battery vent, radio changes, etc were introduced before the designation change to F-51. They aren't distinguishing features that made it an F-51. It's just a name change.

Sorry to be pedantic...I'm becoming "that annoying guy" about Mustangs. 😊