F4U-1 Royal Navy DONE

mark31

Mark,

Oh :wow: that big radial looks tremendous especially from the head on view. Those hex nuts really make quite a difference.

Joel 

Thanks just a few more things to do on the engine before its ready to get it on the plane

That wil be the next step

Mark

Guest Peterpools

Hi Mark

Brilliant work for sure on the big P&W and the works behind the engine. Details look mighty good

Keep 'em coming

Peter

I love your project, Mark. I live in Maine (USA) and grew up next to the  Brunswick Air Base that was used in WW2  by the British to train their pilots to fly the Corsair. I once asked an older resident that lived there in the day if she remembered the Corsairs. "Oh, yes", she said. "They were LOUD" . Learning to fly a Corsair for combat is something of a feat no one should dismiss as easy.  The numerous crashes these brave aviators had are documented to some extent and I've traced a few. One Sunday morning a pilot tore his wing (or wings) off the plane and its parts rained down over the town getting ready for its day. A browning .50 caliber went down right on Maine St. in front of a church getting ready for services. A group  of runners from Bowdoin College narrowly missing being hit by debris. The fuselage crashed right in the middle of a road I know very well. One mid air crash over Sebago Lake is of most interest as the plane is still there (and its poor pilot's remains sit resting on the instrument panel). Aviation salvage companies would love to pull it out the deep dark cold lake,  but it's been ruled a War grave and so it's unrecoverable. Here's a picture of it from a successful remote sub survey taken in 2003, 59 years after the crash! Roundels and squadron numbers pretty much like the day it went down. Kind of the Titantic of Corsairs. 

Screen%20Shot%202017-03-15%20at%208.38.5

Edited by Jim Barry