de Havilland 82a Tiger Moth (Revell)

mozart

The grass is ris

Richard

And there's another problem, my grass needs cutting and I've got  a third of an acre to manage!

Cracking skills on display here Max!

Torben

Thanks Torben, I just keep plodding away as time permits - started working properly on the metal parts of the nose today but no chance to take photographs.

Shot taken 5 minutes ago of my back yard...I have to head into work, but I'm getting really tired of all this nice weather!

Cheers, Max (sorry for the tangent on your build)!

TbXVtWX.jpg

Yes, I can see how utterly tiresome that can be Shaka, you have my sympathies.

The metal cowling panels look superb Max, great job and thanks for paving the way. I was considering doing the same when it comes time to build my Moth and you've shown it can be achieved. Nice one. I'll be shamelessly copying your technique in the (probably distant) future.

Cheers.

....nearly achieved Guy! The front nose section is giving me real problems, I've made three so far but all have the same area of difficulty over the top of the cowl. I may have to create an extra panel in order to (attempt) to achieve a smooth finish. Explanatory pics tomorrow.

The metal nose sections, well 4 of them so far.  I'm fairly happy with all apart from the front section, which looks, and is, fine except for the very top part where the curvature is just too great for me to get a smooth, crease-free finish.  I think I'm going to have to fudge it and make a small separate panel for that area; if I'm accurate enough it shouldn't stand out as looking too horribly wrong:

zSO1fO.jpg

fSb1Nf.jpg

These front cowls are the most difficult to get in metal, but it can be done.

I'd go for foiling the plastic part, using heavy kitchen foil. This is what I did with my Fisher Ryan ST-M. You will probably need more than one piece of foil, but if it is thick enough, it will take some stretch it whilst being burnished it over the compound curves. And Peter has demonstrated the wrinkles can be sanded out and will disappear after some wool-mesh finishing.

Hubert

Torben, it'll be interesting to see how much the metal dulls with age, and if so how easily it polishes back to some degree of brightness. As somebody once said, nothing replicates metal like metal!, though could could have been wood! Perhaps I need to carve the prop.....now there's a thought. :)

Hubert, I am foiling the plastic as you suggested but I'm using lead foil, very malleable and easily cut. I certainly don't have Peter's skills with using metal on plastic kits though I find his work inspiring, which is partly the reason why I chose this particular Tiger Moth.

Lead foil................. hhmmm... I really have to get out more... where do you get that stuff Max?? The only stuff I have in my stash is the dreaded bare metal foil, and that can be good and also very challenging, for me at least...... superlative work Max... I look forward to each update...

In your neck of the woods, these people stock it Jeff: 

IMPERIAL HOBBIES 

FULL SERVICE RETAIL STORE  
5451 Number 3 Rd  
Richmond, BC V6X 2C7  

604-273-4427

No more updates for a week or so I'm afraid...5 games of golf in 6 days beckon! :)

Edited by mozart

In your neck of the woods, these people stock it Jeff: 

IMPERIAL HOBBIES 

FULL SERVICE RETAIL STORE  

5451 Number 3 Rd  

Richmond, BC V6X 2C7  

604-273-4427

No more updates for a week or so I'm afraid...5 games of golf in 6 days beckon! :)

Thanks Max, I will have to check them out next time I'm in Richmond.... about an 8 hour drive from here, but we do it all the time....thanks mate