Tamiya F4U-1 Birdcage Corsair

BloorwestSiR

I would recommend a specific mix but have to shamefully admit I have not figured it out.

My model production rate is not great but I will do a 1:32 soon, I promise!

Anyway, all I know is I used silver paint to do very light chipping on a 1:72 P-40 and it just seemed crazy bright.

I would think larger scales would be less like this so my advice is to experiment on an old "paint horse" model.

Carl,

I'm just getting caught up with your build, and love your work and the intel! Right now I'm a fan of Tamiya AS-12 as a base coat. It's aggressive/durable, and you can have a measure of control over how much you expose. I'm also a fan of the Prismacolor colored pencils. I also like "Reluctant Dragon" as a subject, but just have one photo.

Cheers, Tom

Edited by Uncarina

So you guys are applying this straight from the rattle can and it sticks to the plastic like a primer?

You can do it that way, but I prefer to decant it and treat it like normal paint. I prime everything, and avoid putting paint down over bare plastic under most circumstances, especially since I mostly use acrylics.

Kev

Yeah the consensus seems to be people decant this stuff, and spray it thru an airbrush.

On a side note, i took some old Model Master silver or aluminium in a spray can, decanted it, and it too sprayed beautifully. It was a lacquer, not an enamel and i'll bet its a lot like Tamiya AS-12. But it was years ago.

-d-

Guest Peterpools

Hi Carl

The yellow chromate looks nice and smooth. having played around over the past few years with lots of NMF, most gloss coats kill the metallic shine and depending on the degree of flat at the finish, it will surely dull down and darken the aluminum quite a bit. 

I'm in your corner and following with notebook in hand

Keep 'em coming

Peter

Hi Carl

The yellow chromate looks nice and smooth. having played around over the past few years with lots of NMF, most gloss coats kill the metallic shine and depending on the degree of flat at the finish, it will surely dull down and darken the aluminum quite a bit.

I'm in your corner and following with notebook in hand

Keep 'em coming

Peter

Thanks Peter. One thing I realized is that with this focus on the inner wing section, I had better do the outer wings in a similar Gavin or there would be a disconnect between them. So I've started on those now and hope to have them ready to spray the grey at the same time.

Carl