Tamiya F4U-1 Birdcage Corsair

BloorwestSiR

That is looking sweet, Carl!!! The decals really blend in with the flat coat.

My only note is their should be few if any joints going through the white sealing tape, because it is supposed to be, well, sealing tape. Meant to close off those panel joints to keep oil from leaking through and coating the windshield. Don't have to be neat, either, as often tape was partially or mostly peeled off, repaired, stained, etc, by the oil.

Really coming along!

That is looking sweet, Carl!!! The decals really blend in with the flat coat.

My only note is their should be few if any joints going through the white sealing tape, because it is supposed to be, well, sealing tape. Meant to close off those panel joints to keep oil from leaking through and coating the windshield. Don't have to be neat, either, as often tape was partially or mostly peeled off, repaired, stained, etc, by the oil.

Really coming along!

Thanks Ray!

The sealing tape in front of the canopy came that way. Oddly, the line that follows the panel gap resulted from when I removed the clear carrier film. So it certainly wasn't intentional and I'm trying to think of a way to fix it. At the moment, I'm thinking of going over them with Tamiya white surface primer. Another option is Hasegawa makes a white self adhesive film that's very thin. Only problem there is I don't have any and it seems neither do most hobby shops.

Edited by BloorwestSiR

I think your idea of going over it with Tamiya white surface primer is a good one. If you can't find the Hasegawa tape, I would think you could use some solid white decal strips cut from a sheet and place them over the HGW ones. You wouldn't even have to be too neat about it as any overlap would just be like a re-application in the field. With some weathering, would look really good.

I guess the best way, in hindsight, would be measure the decals, fill the joints in the areas to be covered, then apply the decals. I will have to remember that for the future when I get to my Birdcage. 

Good luck!

Thanks Ray!

The sealing tape in front of the canopy came that way. Oddly, the line that follows the panel gap resulted from when I removed the clear carrier film. So it certainly wasn't intentional and I'm trying to think of a way to fix it. At the moment, I'm thinking of going over them with Tamiya white surface primer. Another option is Hasegawa makes a white self adhesive film that's very thin. Only problem there is I don't have any and it seems neither do most hobby shops.

Carl,

Great work as always! These Birdcage Corsairs are a great platform for weathering, and yours certainly looks authentic. One thought I had for the seams in front of the canopy: extra strips of white decal laid over what you have should be enough to obscure the joints.

Cheers, Tom

I think your idea of going over it with Tamiya white surface primer is a good one. If you can't find the Hasegawa tape, I would think you could use some solid white decal strips cut from a sheet and place them over the HGW ones. You wouldn't even have to be too neat about it as any overlap would just be like a re-application in the field. With some weathering, would look really good.

I guess the best way, in hindsight, would be measure the decals, fill the joints in the areas to be covered, then apply the decals. I will have to remember that for the future when I get to my Birdcage.

Good luck!

Thanks Ray!

I masked off the main culprits and hit them with a coat of Tamiya white primer.

IMG_20161231_151250.jpg

IMG_20161231_151258.jpg

The only problem was the original decal started to lift in a couple places. So there was a bit of touch up to do.

I also took up your advice about the tape being applied as needed and did some with a bit of grey added.

IMG_20161231_154920.jpg

IMG_20161231_154911.jpg

I think I'll definitely go the tape route next time. I can trim it into stripes and it'll look like tape.

Carl, beautiful Corsair, love the finish.........

Dare I ask your upper and lower paint specs, justing getting to add some colour to my birdcage.......

Thanks in advance.......

Thanks! For the colours, I used the mixes recommended by Tamiya in the instructions. On the upper surface, I sprayed the colour as is and then would add a drop or two of white into the airbrush and then spray a random pattern to get the faded look. I didn't do any pre-shading either.

Hope that helps.

Carl

Carl,

Great work as always! These Birdcage Corsairs are a great platform for weathering, and yours certainly looks authentic. One thought I had for the seams in front of the canopy: extra strips of white decal laid over what you have should be enough to obscure the joints.

Cheers, Tom

Thanks Tom! The decal idea would have probably worked too but I didn't have on hand.

These Birdcage Corsairs definitely got weathered. Then again, the RNZAF ones did too and I'm planning to build one of those at some point.

Well, Sue took the boys out sledding so I unexpectedly got the rest of the afternoon at the workbench.

I assembled and painted the prop.

IMG_20161231_180819.jpg

I then added the small panels to the wings that open for the wing fold.

IMG_20161231_160406.jpg

And that was it! One last build completed on the last day of the year.

IMG_20161231_182425.jpg

IMG_20161231_182415.jpg

I'm off to post some pics in RFI.

Carl