Tamiya F4U-1 Birdcage Corsair

BloorwestSiR

Geeeezz...looks fantastic, Carl! What's that "Gauzy Glass Coat Agent"?

Thanks Shaka! It's for dipping canopies in like the way some modelers do with Future. I saw it and gave it a try but I'm not completely sold on it. I'll have to try it again and see.

I installed the MLG onto the centre wing sections.

IMG_20161229_163535.jpg

IMG_20161229_202411.jpg

I also attached the flaps. Here's the topside view:

IMG_20161229_202438.jpg

Thankfully the weathering matched up fairly well.

Next up were the tailplanes:

IMG_20161229_205154.jpg

Here's where I've left off for the night. The cowling has been sprayed with clear gloss where the Reluctant Dragon decal will go.

IMG_20161229_230312.jpg

A small update tonight. I have a set of HGW's wet transfer stencils so I decided to give them a go. Seeing how much I really hate having to clear coat a model, I decided to try them on the flat finish first and see if they'd work.  Which they did. However, I did end up with a small side effect. In removing the clear film, it seems that it was a bit too aggressively attached to the wing surface and took some of the paint with it.

IMG_20161227_231514.jpg

The ones on the starboard wing came out a bit better.

IMG_20161227_231526.jpg

I'm glad that they do work on the flat finish so I'll keep plugging away at them. I never realized how many stencils a Corsair had!

Carl

It may have been unvoluntary, but the worn/chipped paint effect on these ammo boxes is one of the most realistic I have seen !

:goodjob: Carl !

Hubert

I like how its turning out Carl. See what i mean about adding the red fuel filler caps?

The doors that go on the front of the landing gear struts are a tight fit. The clearance between the outboard edge of the door and the side of the tyre is about the diameter of a #2 pencil; very very close.

There is a tiny gap between the top of the gear door and the lower wing skin. On the real plane, there was a piece of flexible rubber that filled the void between the two and sealed the gaps when the gear was retracted. You might be able to replicate this with some white glue, but its not really objectionable if you omit it; i haven't done it on the two models i've built.

Are those the Barracuda , or the Eduard resin tyres?

david

I like how its turning out Carl. See what i mean about adding the red fuel filler caps?

The doors that go on the front of the landing gear struts are a tight fit. The clearance between the outboard edge of the door and the side of the tyre is about the diameter of a #2 pencil; very very close.

There is a tiny gap between the top of the gear door and the lower wing skin. On the real plane, there was a piece of flexible rubber that filled the void between the two and sealed the gaps when the gear was retracted. You might be able to replicate this with some white glue, but its not really objectionable if you omit it; i haven't done it on the two models i've built.

Are those the Barracuda , or the Eduard resin tyres?

david

Thanks David! The doors just about touch the wheels so I guess that's accurate then. Those are the Barracudacast wheels. I think I have a set of the Eduard ones as well but those were in the box so that's what I went with.

It may have been unvoluntary, but the worn/chipped paint effect on these ammo boxes is one of the most realistic I have seen !

:goodjob: Carl !

Hubert

Thanks Hubert! Sometimes the unexpected results work out the best. I think I'll touch it up a bit but leave it mostly the way it is.

Carl

Holy Cow ... the weathering is looking a near perfect as can be. Absolutely fantastic work

Keep 'em comoing

Peter

Thanks Peter! I'm more like you in my preferred finished which is lightly weathered so I'm glad this is turning out as well as it is.

Nice work Carl, those HGW Wet transfers are something different to work with aren't they, hardest problem I had with them was removing the adhesive left behind when the film was removed.

Regards. Andy

Thanks Andy! The wet transfers are definitely a different approach. How did you get extra adhesive off? I've got a bit in a couple places so it wouldn't be bad to know a way to get it off.

So it was time to apply the nose art. After soaking and applying the decal to the cowl, I noticed a small problem. It's supposed to go on the fuselage aft of the cowl, not on it!

I didn't have a choice but to apply it in the correct spot where I hadn't clear coated it.

IMG_20161230_204331.jpg

Thankfully it worked out OK without any silvering. This is the first time I've used Monokio decals. They're a bit stiff but responded well to Solvaset.

I installed the light lenses in both wings and then finally glued them onto the main assembly.

IMG_20161230_221143.jpg

Edited by BloorwestSiR