Tamiya F4U-1 Birdcage Corsair

BloorwestSiR

Carl,

Wonderful work! I like the slight fade on the wing insignias.

Happy Holidays, Tom

Thanks Tom!

After I painted the insignias, I felt they looked too stark so went over them with a slightly lighter shade to face then a bit. It would have been easier if I'd done it while they were still masked.

Always love your work Carl, this Corsair is no exception. Love how the YZC shows through like wear rather than chunks of paint fallen off.....nice one

Thanks Anthony. I appreciate it. The hardest part for me was getting that worn look to work out. 

Very nice, Carl. And I notice the fading on the markings,too. Merry Christmas, buddy.

Thanks Shaka! A belated Merry Christmas to you too.

Its just plane amazing my friend !.......Harv :popcorn:

Thank you Harv. 

I'm a bit late in responding. Carl asked me about weathering of the outer wing panels.

The rectangle shapes that have the numbers "1"  "2" and "3" are actually ammunition boxes, and they are fully removable from the wing. I believe they are loaded outside of the plane and then "dropped" back in place. These things are pretty heavy when loaded so i masked off each one individually and did random greasy handprints with gray pastel, then i clear coated them to seal in the pastel. These boxes were often swapped in location, leading to some weird looking insignias on the upper left wing (The white bar extends onto the ammo boxes).

If you can get a hold of the Volume 2 of Dana Bell's Corsair book, on the back cover there is a very nice colour photo of a mechanic on the upper right wing of an FG-1D. You can clearly see the circular scratches made by the cranks on the bayonet locking pins.

The long, narrow doors are hinged at the front and most of the wear would be on the Hartwell fastener and on the back end where people grabbed onto them to lift them in place. The weird, trapezoidal door was hinged at the front end, but it was also hinged sort of in the middle as well. Again, it's held in place with those crank-type bayonet pins.

There will probably be a lot of greasy handprints around the machine gun blast muzzles too. The gun ports were taped over regularly to keep them clean on the ground, and i believe the tape was  removed before flight. So, there will be residue from previous tape and clear nitrocellulose dope used to glue them in place.

Last, although its too late to do anything about it, i like to mask off the fabric covered parts of the wings and spray them a slightly lighter shade of the camouflage colour. Same goes for the elevators, rudder, and fabric covered segments of the flaps. The ailerons were painted fabric laid over a plywood skin, and from what few photos i have to go from, they seemed to lighten up a little bit too.

-d-

Thanks David! I have Dana Bell's book now and have been using some of the photos for reference. Seeing the circular scratches that you mentioned, I think it'll be a challenge to reproduce those so I'll probably skip them for now.

I've faded the fabric parts of the tailplanes and rudder a bit and will try to get a pic of those up soon.  They're not attached yet or to each other so it was easy enough to do. 

That is looking really good, Carl! The YZC looks good in wear mode, and the landing gear are fantastic! The insignia turned out great, too!

Thanks Ray! I really do prefer using masks especially for larger markings like the insignia. 

That is looking spectacular Carl, as ever your insignia masking skills give such good results.

Regards. Andy

Thanks Andy! I have to say these were much more challenging than British roundels to do. That being said, I think I've figured out an easier way to do them so I'll try that out on my next build. 

A small update tonight. I have a set of HGW's wet transfer stencils so I decided to give them a go. Seeing how much I really hate having to clear coat a model, I decided to try them on the flat finish first and see if they'd work.  Which they did. However, I did end up with a small side effect. In removing the clear film, it seems that it was a bit too aggressively attached to the wing surface and took some of the paint with it.

IMG_20161227_231514.jpg

The ones on the starboard wing came out a bit better.

IMG_20161227_231526.jpg

I'm glad that they do work on the flat finish so I'll keep plugging away at them. I never realized how many stencils a Corsair had!

Carl

I like it a lot, Carl.

I did the circular scratches with a silver prismacolor pencil, and a circle template that was the accidental result of punching some discs for another project out of a piece of .010 styrene. a metal draftman's eraser template might work as a substitute; its just gotta be thin.

Once i figured out which directions the scratches went in, i taped down the template with Tamiya tape and just carefully did one at a time.

Something else you could do to add visual interest is to mask off and paint the fuel filler caps on the wings and the fuselage red. Maybe also add some greasy handprints around that part of the wing leading edge with some silver paint scratches, too. Just a little bit.

-d-

Edited by David Hansen

I like it a lot, Carl.

I did the circular scratches with a silver prismacolor pencil, and a circle template that was the accidental result of punching some discs for another project out of a piece of .010 styrene. a metal draftman's eraser template might work as a substitute; its just gotta be thin.

Once i figured out which directions the scratches went in, i taped down the template with Tamiya tape and just carefully did one at a time.

Something else you could do to add visual interest is to mask off and paint the fuel filler caps on the wings and the fuselage red. Maybe also add some greasy handprints around that part of the wing leading edge with some silver paint scratches, too. Just a little bit.

-d-

Thanks David! Great idea to use a circle mask for those latches. I'll see if I can come up with something suitable.

I got around to painting the fuel caps which you mentioned. I've also started on the sealing tape commonly seen on Corsairs.

IMG_20161229_163505.jpg

The tape is done using the HGW wet transfers and comes in several parts.

I also painted the fabric portions of the tailplane and rudder a slightly lighter shade to reflect the fading they experienced.

IMG_20161229_163615.jpg

Edited by BloorwestSiR

Carl,

I'm really enjoying your build, and have been taking extensive notes. Thanks for sharing your work!

Cheers, Tom

Thanks Tom! I originally thought this was going to be a fairly quick build but didn't realize he much would go into the weathering of it.

I've gotten summer great tips and suggestions so I'm glad to be able to share them.