1/24 Airfix RCAF Mustang IV…finally done

R Palimaka

Cockpit looks great, Richard! Try this online site for resizing images: http://resizeimage.net/. But looks like you got the resizing procedure on your last image. I don't mind large images (and I think too many modelers post pictures that are too small here), but others with slower Internet connections might not feel this way. Awesome update and looking forward to what you do with the belts. Weathering looks great as well!

Thanks Harvey!...and thanks Shaka, I played a bit with resizing right on IMGUR for the last one, I just need to make sure I remember what I did. Got some good advice on finishing the belts down below on the Tips and Techniques thread. I'm no longer afraid of them. :-)

I just want to start putting all these bits together so I can start moving ahead faster. The Waldron parts are just amazing, but really hard to cut out from the sheet...and then there's the assembling. I'm working on the throttle now and it's a microscopic model in itself! The starboard side of the cockpit is next, plus I'm continuing to stuff rivets, wiring and hoses into the wheel wells. Hopefully it'll be good enough to show the progress soon.

Thank you Alain!

Yes, it all comes on one sheet of very thin metal, and each item has to be cut out individually. The 1/24 sheet is not too bad, but I have no idea how you would remove the items from the 1/32 and 1/48 sheets! Those placards and instruments are very close together and the metal is very delicate so you have to be careful not to bend it. It is best done on a sheet of glass or tile. Still though, they are worth the effort!

Richard

Thank you Mark! I could have left them up, but I like the look of the Mustang on the ground with everything hanging down. I just couldn't leave the doors the way they looked out of the kit.

Edited by R Palimaka

• 2 weeks later...

Holidays coming in a couple of weeks, so I'll be able to work on this solidly for a few hours at a time. In the meantime, steady slow progress. I've built replacement tailwheel doors. The ones in the kit are two 2x4 planks, with notches for two giant hooks/hinges so that they operate.

I built these out of a couple of layers of cardstock, with details carved and scribed in. The tailwheel doors on the real aircraft had piano hinges, so I attached one length of cardstock at an angle, so that they could be glued in after the model was assembled and painted, and both doors would already be at the correct angle. The rivets are again from Archer, as well as the resin piano hinges, which I think work very well. They just have to be primed, painted and weathered. 

lDqkbiO.jpg?1

Edited by R Palimaka