Hasegawa 1/48 Ki-45 Kai Tei Toryu

Thunnus

This is the Hasegawa 1/48 Ki-45 Toryu model.  I used the CMK interior detail set in this build but later opted to model the canopy in the closed position, hiding most of those upgrades.  I purchased Aeromaster decals for this build but had trouble getting them to lay down using Microset/Microsol so I ditched those.  The tail insignia is from the kit decals, the tail numerals are spares and the hinomarus are painted.

JTK_9230_zps6t8qtwac.jpg

JTK_9259_zpsjfz6vxyp.jpg

JTK_9238_zpsysohzat9.jpg

JTK_9237_zpste06msbp.jpg

JTK_9248_zpsaka1iw2j.jpg

JTK_9232_zpsfgmywpwj.jpg

JTK_9235_zps94mjwqss.jpg

Thank you Shaka and Shawn!  The mottling was a bit of an experiment and wasn't a complete success.  I have trouble with mottle shapes when spraying by hand so in order to make this easier, I first drew the mottle outlines in light green colored pencil.  Once the outlines were drawn, I filled them in with the airbrush using very diluted paint at reduced pressures. But running a pencil across the painted surface resulted in more scratched-off paint than drawn lines and that made the mottle edges harder than I wanted.  After using this approach on the wings and portions of the fuselage, I dropped the outlines and simply sprayed the mottles free-handed the rest of the way.