1/24 MPC/Airfix JU 87B Chips and Grime

fightnjoe

Hi Joe

You may be interested to know that many Junkers aircraft had an interior protective finish that gave a greeny gold look to the parts... here's a photo of a wreck:

31001597133_aaf79883b0_b.jpg

You can see the finish on the interior, also shows just what an effective anti-corrosion treatment this was. Would add interest to your interior.

Matt

Hi Joe

You may be interested to know that many Junkers aircraft had an interior protective finish that gave a greeny gold look to the parts... here's a photo of a wreck:

31001597133_aaf79883b0_b.jpg

You can see the finish on the interior, also shows just what an effective anti-corrosion treatment this was. Would add interest to your interior.

Matt

What you are seeing is the effect of preproduction anodized metal parts. As mentioned earlier, the Ju-88 wrecks in Oslo also show a similar anodized finish on the metal parts. Anodized aluminum is a labor intensive process but provides a very useful anti corrosion finish to aircraft. It is an electrolytic process that oxidizes the out layer of the aluminum.

Cheers

Alan

After nearly two weeks of being sick I am able to show a bit of progress.

I began the process of preparing to get some color on the build.  I did this just a bit different than previous builds.  I began with a Gloss Black base.  I then shot Alclad Polished Aluminium.  Mind you this was not done to be a high gloss, mirror finish.  Just a base for the color to come.

Paint-1_zpskq0sslnb.jpg

Paint-2_zpscxzf0xys.jpg

Once dry the real colors make their appearance.  RLM 70 and 71 for the upper and RLM 65 for the lower.  I began by taping off the shapes and then shot a lightened version of each of the top colors to get a first color.  I then went back through with thinned coats of the colors to darken up the cammo.  For the lower I shot several layers of thinned color.

Paint-3_zpseugilzs1.jpg

This was done over the cut away sections.  I did this to try to minimize any overspray to the interior.  

I did have a bit of a mishap.  Prior to getting sick I scanned the decal sheet.  My son touched up the image to give the best possible color.  I then printed off the decals on two sheets, my only two sheets, of decal paper.  Once I thought it was dry I sprayed decal bonder.  Once I felt up to doing anything again I checked on the decals and found that they had a reddish tint.  Not sure if the ink had not dried or what happened.  I do need to redo these.

This is good progress and hopefully the momentum can continue for a while.

All comments, critiques, and criticism are encouraged.

Joe

Any reason for using Alclad and not something cheaper?

I've never understood why people use expensive products like Alclad for metallic base coats. Most of it gets hidden, and then weathered, and the benefit of using Alclad is either completely lost or completely wasted. For this kind of use, I advocate Tamiya's AS-12 - it's cheaper, but just as effective for this purpose. I wouldn't recommend it for a factory-fresh natural metal finish, but they don't come along that often anyway.

Having said all that, this is looking really good, Joe!

Kev

Time for just a very brief update.

Big news as the fuselage is now closed and the inner wing sections are attached.  Not so happy news is the gaps for the fuselage halves and the wing roots were at the very least and eighth of an inch in width.  This thing needed about a third of a container of putty to actually fill them.  That was even after using some styrene to try to fill the gap.  

In the end though the inner wings are on and the fuselage is closed.  I did add the detail to the interior of the cut wing section.  More on that later.

Pictures of the gap and putty show.

Wings-3_zpsevoguwde.jpg

Wings-2_zpsnnss9jjh.jpg

I did spend a little time on the engine.  Nothing worthy of pictures yet but soon I hope.

Joe

• 2 weeks later...
We have progress.

Yes my friends we have progress.  The pictures show the tale.

Fuselage-3_zpsa2eqnfvv.jpg

Fuselage-2_zpsicbkij4o.jpg

The fuselage and wings are attached.  The gaps, and there were some interesting gaps, were puttied and then sorted.  The paintwork was then touched up.  While I waited for the putty to dry I spent some time on the landing gear.

Landing-Gear-1_zpsztkdqdkt.jpg

And just a bit to prep for the next step.  The engine and the engine compartment.

Engine-1_zpsazcjly9d.jpg

Engine-2_zpsnrjlsw2w.jpg

And that is now ready for my attention.  I have a few things to finish prepping but I am ready to move forward.  

Joe

Well I have been a bit fortunate in that I have had some quality time at the bench over the last couple of days.  With that how about an update.

The Stuka now has her main legs as well as her engine.  

Fuselage-5_zpsa7epk4vb.jpg

Fuselage-4_zps4wa4tqrk.jpg

Engine-4_zpsgbbvsolo.jpg

Engine-3_zpser1gw7rg.jpg

I did add a few things to the frame and the firewall.  A few things to give the illusion of wires and hoses.  Today was the big day.  It was sink or swim.  Time to see if my homemade decals were up to the game or not.

Decals-1_zpsiumiasl2.jpg

Honestly they are not very good.  The letters other than the "L" should have been on a clear sheet but I only had the white backing sheet.  Still they should work for my purposes and I should be able to hide the issues caused by my jumping to them too quickly.

Now to let these dry for a day or two.  You see they did not want to lie down without a fight.  One in particular may not even play nice after a generous amount of solvent was applied.  Homemade decals are generally very thin and react well with the surface.  These did not.  

Next up however after they dry is to seal it in with a nice coat of clear and then I can work on weathering the fuselage, engine, and wings. 

Joe

Back with a quickie type of update.

A couple of hours has been spent with oils, paint, and pastels.  Streaking, chipping, and a bit of grime and streaking is the result.  To be honest it is not over the top.  I had to make sure I didn't take it too far.  I did use caution.

First the engine.  Oils and pastels were used.  Oils for the grime and dirty look and pastels for the exhaust stubs.

Engine-5_zpsvyraj5xt.jpg

Engine-6_zpsnrnysdxo.jpg

Engine-7_zps5pr9lfbo.jpg

Engine-8_zpsgct6ibvp.jpg

I used oils and enamels to do the chipping and the streaking.  The streaking is tough to see in the pictures.  

Streaking-1_zpskipl0pff.jpg

Now to let that dry out so I can hit it with a flat coat.  

Joe