HpH Models SB2C-4 Helldiver Build Thread 7/4 Details

LSP_Paul

Any updates? Victory should be getting mine in by weeks end.  I've been daydreaming about a lot of white and dark gull grey...

Hey Will, I am almost ready to close up the fuselage. We had some family stuff pretty much dominate last week, so progress was slowed, pics soon.

Paul 

Click the link to see in progress pics of a Helldiver restoration in the US.

http://vulturesrowaviation.com/helldiver.html

Cees

Thanks Cee's, I appreciate you stopping by the build. :)  Vultures Row's restoration is a dash 3, the kit is a 4, and the rest that survive to look inside are all dash 5's, plus the CAF's -5 that's crashed and now has "kind of" restored lines to its lower fuselage.

The Kit does not include a proper wartime fuel tank for behind the pilot or the associated plumbing, no representation of the roll bar, or pilots armor, you won't be able to see much of any of that if I add it, but I'm thinking about it. I also had to correct several items including the  IP and a couple of radio boxes, and add properly suspended rudder pedals. Pics soon,

Paul 

Also the entire cockpit area is over scale maybe 1/28 ish not just the seats. If you have a tamiya corsair compare the similar parts and it's very apparent.

The Kit does not include a proper wartime fuel tank for behind the pilot or the associated plumbing, no representation of the roll bar, or pilots armor, you won't be able to see much of any of that if I add it, but I'm thinking about it. I also had to correct several items including the  IP and a couple of radio boxes, and add properly suspended rudder pedals. Pics soon,

Paul 

Well, not very encouraging, to say it mildly, given the 230+ USD pricetag. And there are much more issues, if I read the WIP reports carefully... :tumble:

Regards

- dutik

It

Well, not very encouraging, to say it mildly, given the 230+ USD pricetag. And there are much more issues, if I read the WIP reports carefully... :tumble:

Regards

- dutik[/quoteis an extere

so

Regards

- dutik

It is an extremely nice kit, but there are definately some areas where they just didn't go the extra mile, I would still recommend it the shapes and outlines are solid, the details just aren't as nice in some spots, engine and cockpit are sparse, wheel wells and bombbay are excellent. I would still buy it again

Regards

- dutik

Dutik, to be fair, I could have left it alone in the pit, and 98% of the folks who even knew it was a Helldiver wouldn't know, and the other 1.9% wouldn't care and the remainder would tell me I didn't get everything correct. :) The point is, the cockpit seems as if there was a bit of guesswork during design. It has attributes of the -4 and -5 and that's probably due to the relative scarcity of clear -4 wartime cockpit photos and misidentified pics from the net, just a guess :shrug: .  If you want to spend the extra few hours moving things around or adding small items you can get really close to accurate. That's my goal. The exterior of the aircraft is insanely gorgeous, and I love cockpit detailing, so I'm not complaining at all. I just want modelers to know what they may experience during their own adventure  with this kit.

Thanks for checking in!

Paul 

This old Squadron/Signal book on Navy Bombers had some very nice 'pit shots of the Helldiver, but I forget what version it was, specifically.

Thanks for checking in, I'm glad you like the paint too.  :D

From what I have, the best commercially available printed stuff that shows the most of the -4 is the Detail and Scale, they are smaller but clear pics. 

I hope to get some pics up soon.

Paul 

Glad to see you up and moving....lol

Curtiss didn't start standardizing their cockpits til -4 or -5,

PIC's MAN

Hi Jack, 

Close to some better pics. Lots of "test fit a lot of times" work going on.

Paul

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Paul, is this one done yet? It's August already eh.......... ;)

Cheers,

Wolf

Hi Wolf,

We have had some personal setbacks that are keeping me off my bench most of the last month, and I am mastering conversion parts for AMS for the Harrier II as well when I have had time. This one is moving along slowly but surely, and I hope to get the cockpit mods done to my liking and get the fuselage halves closed up and move forward soon.

Thanks for checking in on my build, Hope to get back to it when things smooth out.

Paul