HpH Models SB2C-4 Helldiver Build Thread 7/4 Details

LSP_Paul

That interior green looks great! I would still do a wash - and a light dry brush with a lighter yellow-green, but only because it being on the interior so you need to punch it a bit to show off that incredible detail. Otherwise, it gets lost in the shadows of the small opening you are looking into. I wouldn't go all Spanish style on it, but just to punch it up a bit.

Great progress so far Paul.

Thanks for the tips on working with resin. They'll definitely be coming in handy soon.

Carl

Carl,

Thanks for looking in on the project I'm glad you found some useful stuff , looking forward to what you do with it!

Paul 

Man, HPH did their homework!  As I said, can;t wait till Victory get's mine in stock!

Good looking Interior green.  I've used the last bit of my Gunze and don't have enough Aeromaster left for a beast this size.  Might have to go the Vallejo Air route, as it's readily available and a decent color match.  But seeing as interior green was a color mixed at the factory, close is good enough!

Detail painting next?

I get my Gunze from Sprue Brothers, I just really prefer lacquers, I'm old school I guess. Detail painting, some minor wear and weathering, decaling maybe a pin wash to tie things together. I gotta keep it subtle.

Paul

Fantastic! I don't think any wash is necessary.

Thanks Shaka, I may do a pin wash once I add the "colors" and such, just to tie it all in. Thanks for checking in on my build, I appreciate the input. The green changes hue with the light just like the real color, so it's hard to tell I guess until the next steps.

We'll see where it ends up soon.

Paul 

That interior green looks great! I would still do a wash - and a light dry brush with a lighter yellow-green, but only because it being on the interior so you need to punch it a bit to show off that incredible detail. Otherwise, it gets lost in the shadows of the small opening you are looking into. I wouldn't go all Spanish style on it, but just to punch it up a bit.

Ya read my mind Ray, subtle is the way. :)  Thanks for the input I appreciate it. What a kit, makes it so easy!

Paul 

looking amazing Paul!  I can't believe how quick you're progressing with this baby!

It's been too hot outside in the afternoon to hang out outside, and the mosquitos are in full squadron strength this year, so modeling is the go to move  :thumbsup:  I'm happy you're hanging out to see how this thing progress's.

Paul

Hi 

that looks great , the side walls are well detailed , maybe some stuffs could be added , but that looks enough .......for me ..... nice paint job !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 

Alain

Is allways a pleasure to see your work! Keep working my friend and show us this outstanding plane!

Florin

Thank you Florin, I have been test fitting as I go along, and  as a typical resin aircraft, minor adjustments were needed to get all the bulkheads to fit inside the fuselage. Nothing major, just some sanding.

Thanks for following along my friend,

Paul 

Hi 

that looks great , the side walls are well detailed , maybe some stuffs could be added , but that looks enough .......for me ..... nice paint job !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 

Alain

Alain, The area inside the fuselage behind the pilot and between him and gunner is an area where HpH stopped short. They did include the things they could see on the warbird Commemorative Air Force has in some places, including a smaller fuel tank, but for an actual wartime combat ready Helldiver it's not correct. There should be a roll bar and larger fuel tank with extensive plumbing in that location.  I am not going to worry about it as you can't really see much inside the area with the life raft canister in the way.

Thanks for following along.  :)

Paul

You nailed it Paul. Well executed technique of layering. It takes lots of patience and steady hand in order not to overkill the busy effect and end up looking like mouldy pickle. Bang on Brother, bang on !

Cheers

M.

Thanks Martin, you wouldnt believe what color the green looks in the bottle, the black base is the trick, the rest is all paint and air pressure. Now where did I put those pickles? :hmmm:

Paul

Hey, I thought you were working on the Harrier build of the century, Paul? I'm afraid if I follow along too closely I will have to throw some cash down and get one, but I had other plans....and little money.....crap!!

Don't worry Smitty, I'll be jumping back over to the Harrier shortly, I just want to get the fuselage on this beast epoxied up so it can sit for a few days.

Paul