F-15E --- 1/32 --- Tamiya

It was a "huge" dilemma with the leading edges of the front CFT outboard pylons... After all, i knew that both leaned and straight edges were correct, so i straighten them. And they should look beautifully contrasting with the leading edges of the surrounding front pylons.

photo_1.jpg

photo_2.jpg

From both sides of the nozzles there are two small exhausts (i admit - i don`t know their purpose) and i replicated them from photo etch pieces:

photo_4.jpg

photo_5.jpg

And a comparison photo with the oob exhaust on the left side. So far only from the one side i edited the end of the CFT. There should be a small tiny little gap, and the best way to do it justly is with embedded photo etch pieces. I tried to cut the gap with a knife, but it was not beautiful :) The plastic is very thick and the gap should be very clean and crisp.

photo_3.jpg

10x Martin and cheers from me too. Yes absolutely, this texturising is like a major change of the appearance of the model, like after a wash, weathering... But i would like to leave the credits for the end, because i`m doing it for the first time and i have no idea how it will look in the finished model. The logic is that it is going to be awesome (in combination with the riveting), ...will see. :)

Take a look at thaaaat :) GTRP send me some awesome upgraded parts so the F should look even better. It comes to the thicker pod for the tip of one of the vertical stabilizers, and the shimmy dampener along with the wheel set. Well, the shimmy dampener at first look is beautiful beautiful, the pod/antenna looks good too, and i`ll use them in the F.

photo_1.jpg

GTR wheel set. For you who didn`t used them already - i could say that the wheel/tires are wonderful, just beautiful, definitely recommended. They are not exactly better than the Tamiya oob parts, because they are just about the same from one point of view - detailing, assembly and quality of the parts. From another viewpoint - the GTR wheels/tires are different - regarding the brand name of the tires (GoodYear with all their specific differences), they are resin parts, and in a two-colored scheme for better/subtle painting... but that`s written in the instructions from the set. I prefer to use the oob kit parts, because the tires are from rubber, soft, thus with a great grip to the surfaces, i managed to make them to rotate very pleasantly, and to carve a deeper spot for a more realistic look.

photo_2.jpg

photo_3.jpg

Thanks very much Gary and GTRP!

I`ll make a more thorough review these days!

Edited by F`s are my favs

I painted the hinges to see how the ailerons will look with these "covers" and it`s pretty pretty i think. At least they look more similar to the hinges of the flaps - almost invisible when the ailerons at "0 degrees". When are slightly turned - there is still a gap but much smaller. I`m leaving them like that:

photo_1.jpg

photo_2.jpg

I wiped off the paint, and after texturising. It`s a little bit more subtle than the fuselage.

photo_3.jpg

Probbably it`s visible (near the bottom of the last photo) - i also drilled a small hole for every wing, in the base which is hidden inside the fuselage, and where the wings are screwed to the fuselage. Interestingly enough, there are two structural struts for each wing and only one matching hole of a wing for just one screw. So i drilled another hole to use 2 screws for every wing to make them more stable.

I thought that the gaps of the hinges look great, but after painting they will look much wider/deeper/bigger than the gaps of the hinges for the flaps, especially when the ailerons are at certain angle. Then i went through a few photos of the real plane to see what`s best, and yes, there is definitely a gap but it`s more like a seamline, not like long narrow "canyon" as it was before. And more importantly - the gaps for the hinges of both aileron and flap look with the same width. My first try with these coverings was during the assembly of F-35B for the huuuuuge gaps of the stabilators, because i wanted to make them movable too. But it was a very very small hinge (more like a rounded hinge) and the "coverings" didn`t worked well, so i glued the stabilators. Here in this F the gaps are in a perfect straight line, so it`s much easier to glue the "coverings". While for the coverings i use the thin transparent film/the protector sheet, which usually is a part of some decal sheets. The Kittyhawk decals have such a protective sheet for their decals. It`s the most flexible, strongest and thinnest possible "thing" in my opinion. Here it is onto the decals. I also plan to change the "coverings" for the intake ramps with this pieces to make them even more invisible.

photo.jpg

Thanks for the quick reply...that's a very interesting technique.

I should have been more clear earlier...what I was getting at is those wonderful piano hinges on the ailerons, three sets per side.

Here's a picture...

image_zpsoxwnc7cg.jpeg

Thanks again...and great work!

Rich

Edited by allthumbs