P-39 Snooks 2nd

CANicoll

Got a bit more done today, but now have to let it dry.  I put the flaps and alerons on - closed up just to avoid any issues. Had to sand down the top of the seat frame (whatever you call it!) and the inside of the rollbar to get it to sit down right.  Got the rear canopy down just fine with no issues (did I REALLY just say that??) and thought I had the front canopy set, but you'll see the gap in the picture.  Once it all sets up I'll close it up tomorrow (I will try anyway).

The wings closed up pretty nicely to the fuselage, just a small gap on the left side I filled in.

DSC_0101_zpsmanecr5x.jpg

Not quite the same story underneath.

DSC_0095_zpsjwrnmlpy.jpg

And closer up:

DSC_0096_zpsoskftz7a.jpg

I'm probably not going to do much with this as I've kind of just had it.  You can see the twist in the nose pieces too. Sigh.

Left side of the canopy's look good.  Took some firm holding.

DSC_0099_zpsjhasylko.jpg

But the right side not so great.

DSC_0100_zpsqzcvtcct.jpg

Oh well.  Once the rest of the adhesive dries I'll close this up.  Interestingly enough, despite the gap in fuselage right behind the IP, the right side of the front canopy is still over the fuselage, not inside it.  The fit of this kit is just amazing to me.  

Edited by CANicoll

Nice update, Chris! I've just put the wings on my own build, and due to the way I went about it, had the opposite problem to you - i.e., decent fit on the bottom, big gap along the roots at the top. In my fumbling around, I came to realise that the wing root intake inserts are slightly too long, and need to be shorted by about half a mm at the outboard end. The clue for me was that I couldn't get the locating tab on the wing to line up with the slot on the insert. I removed some material from the end, but not enough, and ended up removing one of the locating tabs. I still had to shave a decent amount off the other end of each insert, and then some more off the end plates of the wheel bays where it inserts into the fuselage. I'll post photos in my own build thread when I get a chance.

Anyway, those intake inserts are a real pain, and if I were to do this again, I'd probably leave them out until after the wings were joined to the fuselage, and then shape them to fit properly at each end before adding them.

Soldier on!

Kev

Nice update, Chris! I've just put the wings on my own build, and due to the way I went about it, had the opposite problem to you - i.e., decent fit on the bottom, big gap along the roots at the top. In my fumbling around, I came to realise that the wing root intake inserts are slightly too long, and need to be shorted by about half a mm at the outboard end. The clue for me was that I couldn't get the locating tab on the wing to line up with the slot on the insert. I removed some material from the end, but not enough, and ended up removing one of the locating tabs. I still had to shave a decent amount off the other end of each insert, and then some more off the end plates of the wheel bays where it inserts into the fuselage. I'll post photos in my own build thread when I get a chance.

Anyway, those intake inserts are a real pain, and if I were to do this again, I'd probably leave them out until after the wings were joined to the fuselage, and then shape them to fit properly at each end before adding them.

Soldier on!

Kev

Kev - I read somewhere that trick about leaving inserts out until after joining the wings.  Ironically, mine fit into the gap pretty well, locating tabs and all, Well, I say 'pretty well' - you see the gaps on the bottom.

Looking forward to your update!  I'm hoping to start fuselage painting tomorrow. 

Chris

Ok, well...  So I worked on the doors to get them into some semblance of actually closing. Mostly had to narrow the door hinge - they are too tall/wide.  Easy enough to do however and I used white glue to keep them in place for painting, but the gaps around the doors are pretty big.  Oh, and that gap on the right side of the front canopy piece?  Yeah, that is NOT going to close without a vice.  What amazes me, is even with the gap in the fuselage join in front of the windscreen, the windscreen itself is the same width as the opening it is supposed to go into.

I'm trying to decide if I want to just punt this kit, and go to work on my Mosquito or what.  You know what I mean?   :frantic:

Ok guys, I've decided to call this build. :BANGHEAD2:  :crying: I don't have a lot of time to work on my models and at this point it is a matter of diminishing returns. The final product is not something I'm going to be happy to show, unless it is to showcase how badly engineered this kit is and I'm not planning on wallowing in that. 

I will send off a message to HK expressing my displeasure at $80 poorly spent (well, that does not include the seat belts and months of time - oh well).

So never had to give up on a kit when I'm so close to finishing, but thinking that I might do a 'post mortem' article on the challenges of this kit, and I'll see about pulling some of those tips/challenges from those of us who have attempted this build.

If anyone wants anything from my kit, let me know and I'll see about posting it to you.  The ammo trays and guns are untouched, I think I can pry the masked canopy off without damage - the wheels and tires are also bare. I also have all of the internal fuselage bits available as I had closed up the back of the plane. The spinner is currently yellow as are the prop tips.  Yard Sale!!!   :thumbsup:  :yahoo:  

I appreciate the comments and support during this build, gentlemen!  It kept me going; reminded me of the humour in our hobby and proved what a great bunch we have here on LSP.

Cheers blokes!    :beer4:

Edited by CANicoll

That nose is a bear! I think my second P-39 will go in the donation box for my IPMS chapters contest raffle next year! If I ever build another 1/32 P-39, it will be the Special Hobby kit.  It will be no less work.

Will - PM me  your address and I will post the other set of Masks to you.  Still have a complete set left.

That's a shame, Chris. And just when I thought you had it all licked! You have my utmost sympathies, however. I'll take mine to the end, whatever the outcome, but progress is slow, and I'm feeling a little reluctant about it at this stage. That canopy assembly has me anxious!

I look forward to your next project, mate.

Kev

Hang in there. You are doing a good job on what looks like a mediocre kit. I would love to build a P-39 in 1/32, but I have seen so many problems with this kit (thanks to the terrific builders on this site), that I think I will steer clear.

Tom

• 2 weeks later...

Not quite final update...

I've been asked by a number of folks to go ahead and finish the plane so I'm going to give it a go.  I move into a new place in early Sept and will hope to get my hobby desk set up and ready to go as soon as I can after that.  So am still following along (Great move Kev on the canopy!!) the other builds so stay tuned.  Once I get into my new place I hope to pick up the pace of my building. :-)