AVIA S-199 scratched and AML S-199 conversion set

Guest Martinnfb

' the Bf109 rudder already has the slight offset to the right'

I believe this to be true.

'I wonder if this served along side the P-51 in the Israeli AF'

There was some overlap.  Avia S199 began service May, 20+/-, 1948.  Then the Spitfire. then the Mustang, September, 1948.

Sincerely,

Mark

I read somewhere that there was a kind of embargo on Israel so they could not buy any warplanes at this time. The US and the UK refused to sell them weapons. Some israeli secret agents even tried to buy aircrafts on the black market in Mexico if i remember correctly (more difficult than buying meat during the war !) and were arrested.

And then they were able to buy some Avia S.199, though i dont really remember what was the circumstances.

Not sure they needed to do anything about the fin. I 'think' they introduced that feature already with the F variant. As i have noted elsewhere powerwise the Avia was just equivalent to the F.

Thank you for the walk around photographs Nicolas, much appreciate that . 

I read somewhere that there was a kind of embargo on Israel so they could not buy any warplanes at this time. The US and the UK refused to sell them weapons. Some israeli secret agents even tried to buy aircrafts on the black market in Mexico if i remember correctly (more difficult than buying meat during the war !) and were arrested.

And then they were able to buy some Avia S.199, though i dont really remember what was the circumstances.

Yeah it was on 101 Squadron web page

On April 23, Otto Felix purchased ten Avia S-199s for the obnoxiously high sum of $1.8 million ($13 million in 2001 dollars). Each empty airplane cost $44,600, its associated equipment another $6,890, and ammunition and ordnance $120,229 - for ten planes, that totals $1,717,190. The remainder of the $1.8 million bought the services of Czechoslovakian ferry pilots. That sum must be looked at in the context of a time when a surplus P-51D could be bought for $4,000. Still, Felix took an option on 15 more. 

Shortly after Felix's agreement to purchase the S-199s, Al Schwimmer - possibly the most productive of all the Haganah's purchasing agents - found 25 war-surplus P-47 Thunderbolts for sale in Mexico for $1 million. The Haganah turned Schwimmer down and held to the agreement with the Czechoslovakians. Whether they did this for the sake of honor or because the European deal included training is unknown.

Edited by Martinnfb

Not sure they needed to do anything about the fin. I 'think' they introduced that feature already with the F variant. As i have noted elsewhere powerwise the Avia was just equivalent to the F.

Probably not, it is a common feature on many another types, but the kink on the posted picture looks unusual and intriguing .I spend a fair amount of time to see if Hasegawa or Revell has it, but no luck there.

your 'nose job' looks great!

Thank You Shawn.

A lot of nice color photos from the museum. If you do not mind I would also add one colorized in her natural environment:

Avia_S-199.jpg

Hello Michal, It doesn't open , however I was following your work on Modelforum, so let me take the liberty of reposting your fantastic work.

141003_AviaS-199vramiku_zps8e82691c.jpg

Coming along really nice buddy. I tell you what this aircraft type will be my first 109 version that I will build...just so I can slap that big O Star of David on it's side ;) I wonder if this served along side the P-51 in the Israeli AF? If it did...hmm, that would be an interested dio/display. :)

Thanks so much Mike, you are right about the stars. They are made for this plane and as Mark pointed above there is a pretty big chance for Stangs and Mezek's to meet. I have a picture of Meek and Spit  at the same airport , just need to find it. 

Cheers

M.

Thank you for the walk around photographs Nicolas, much appreciate that . 

Yeah it was on 101 Squadron web page

On April 23, Otto Felix purchased ten Avia S-199s for the obnoxiously high sum of $1.8 million ($13 million in 2001 dollars). Each empty airplane cost $44,600, its associated equipment another $6,890, and ammunition and ordnance $120,229 - for ten planes, that totals $1,717,190. The remainder of the $1.8 million bought the services of Czechoslovakian ferry pilots. That sum must be looked at in the context of a time when a surplus P-51D could be bought for $4,000. Still, Felix took an option on 15 more. 

Shortly after Felix's agreement to purchase the S-199s, Al Schwimmer - possibly the most productive of all the Haganah's purchasing agents - found 25 war-surplus P-47 Thunderbolts for sale in Mexico for $1 million. The Haganah turned Schwimmer down and held to the agreement with the Czechoslovakians. Whether they did this for the sake of honor or because the European deal included training is unknown.

Wouldn't have interesting if they got both! Thunderbolts would have creamed anything flying or moving dispite their age and certainly a better aircraft

Well the circumstances were,that uncle Joe,continuing poking UK in the eye(after voting for establishment of Israel in UN),agreed to supply

weapons through Czechoslovakia,but for a high cost.There were no options left.

Probably it was covered before-this aircraft was notorious for bad sinchronization of guns-propeller and frequently was shooting it's propellers'

blades

Isaac

I do have plenty of the sliding canopies left if you need one or two.  I do have some parts but certainly not enough to do a complete set.  I need to get this set redesigned for the Revell kit.

Your conversion is looking great.  Can't wait to see it done.

Floyd

Edited by Floyd S. Werner, Jr.

Thank you for the input Guys.

I was busy with life lately so there was not much of a time to progress except of some detailing and filling/sanding... that seems to be never-ending .

Thank You for stopping by Floyd, I eventually  managed to get your set, but it is an incomplete, just a nose and the propeller, no canopies anything. I really  like your propeller blades, nice work. There are rumours declaring the existence of two types of blades, but no proof , so I am going to stick with untouched original on CS-199 from Kbely.

The decals I got as a separate item had a hefty price tag on it, oh well. I missed out few years back. :0

The canopy designed for Hasegawa's kit should fit on Revell without problems. I would love to buy one or two. If You can send me the total with shipping to V3Y0A9 BC, Canada, that would be awesome. I was wandering, is there a chance that you have leftover stencils ?

Also in the set that I purchased was a small spinner (He-111P style), is there a chance that you have a bigger one?

I am working on my own , using CIRO's spinner as a base. It has the correct diameter and it's slightly longer and dull-tipped so hopefully  I will be able to turn it into something decent. I am in luck and continuous support of my friend from Czech and Slovak Republic, providing me with measurement and feedback. Hopefully the final result wilfullfill their expectations :)

Here are some interesting pictures , just to make this page visually appealing :)

CS-199-503 date 01.04.1954

kniha1336682530-img19.jpg

S-199-180 date 30.05.1953

kniha1336682530-img18.jpg

CS-199-515 date 12.08.1952

kniha1336682530-img12.jpg

S-199-470 NH-26 date 29.04.1952

kniha1336682530-img08.jpg

No47date 23.04.1952

kniha1336682530-img07.jpg

#494 date 21.05.1952

kniha1336682530-img09.jpg