AVIA S-199 scratched and AML S-199 conversion set

Guest Martinnfb

I dont think the tires mounted on the S.199 of the Kbely museum are the tires that were actually used in the late 40's/early 50's.

They rather look slick :

aj3-s-199.jpg

66.jpg

mmPWnda.jpg

D108Dec48a.jpg

Thank You for a good point. Yes indeed, at the beginning there were original german / smooth style tires used, than new post war cs production rubber came in. Please look closely at the pictures below , the thread is faided but still visible.

Just for the record: the Avia CS-199 from Kbely is bang on original, unlike the S-199 that was pieced up from part found at the wrecking yard and donations.

s_199_19_20130918_083301100.jpg

Avia%20S-199%20bezi%20motor.jpg

Avia%20vrtula.jpg

Edited by Martinnfb

• 7 months later...

hello, my name is Martin...... and here is quick slap-job of AML conversion set. I stopped working on my conversion in order to see what is the new AML set going to be like and I have to admit it is  a big bang for your money. ....and it looks like Avia too. :)

egVKCLz.jpg

Thank you Harvey , thank you Shawn, Today I placed in the radiator and it's housing . There was a decent size bubble in it, no drama. I sanded the edges a bit according photographs . So by now you know that the AML conversion is going to be a Israeli machine. 

The lower bulges went on without a major struggle. The whole thing was coated with synthetic industrial primer out of the rattle can , only to see more bubbles and details that are so hard to be noticed on light resin.

Baracuda supercharger intake had to go, it was too big in diameter. I used Amuur river one as a replacement, naturally it had to be modified . The original German intake was angled , Avia was bolted at the right angle.

The surface need a lots of work, all the detail is essentially G6-ish, the Czech machines were quite different. I will get back to it later.

Thank you for stopping by guys.

Cheers

Martin

here you can see the prop in better detail, I used the primer as a filler of the leading edge, theoretically the seam shouldn't be visible

C5QIgxX.jpg

Here is the corrected position of the intake, the oil cooler creeps me out a little, we shall see what is it going to be like at the end :)

GlwVTIM.jpg