1/18 Spitfire Mk. XIVe - Race #80

airscale

That is some truely epic fabrication going on there Peter! I really admire the way that you'll build a piece several times until you're absolutely happy with it...... I don't think I have the patience for that.  :goodjob:

Every post ends on a cliff hanger of "what will he do next?"

Love it!

Craig

Hi guys :)

reaching out for a little help from those in the know...

the rib in the gear well that separates where the tyre goes and where the leg lays seems to be different depending on the mark of Spit

This is a XVI in the Montforton book - seems to be two sheets with a gap in the middle..

WIP351_zps5nqindfy.jpg

This is a Mk19 (I think) which seems to be two sheets again, but folded outwards from the middle..

WIP352_zpscbatbww9.jpg

any ideas? not sure which to do

TIA

Peter

I think the Monforton book is your guide here Peter, as it covers the 'E' wing (even if modified for your racer), while the PRXIX will have a 'D' (if that's the correct term) 'bowser' wing with a different construction for its unarmed and extra fuel tankage.

Still marvelling at the detail you've packed into that circular inspection hatch, and also wondering how the main hinge spigot mates to the brass leg stump.

All will be revealed, no doubt. Great, great work.

Agreed, it looks like the Mk19 has been changed for ease of construction as it takes a lot of unnecessary parts out of the equation. Also look how the upper attachment of the rib has been simplified from a couple of intricate brackets down to an L section.

Edited by TonyT

evening folks :)

thanks for chiming in on the wheelwell rib question - I have also emailed the engineer who looks after TZ138 to see what he says too :) for now I am going with the E wing theory..

I think the Monforton book is your guide here Peter, as it covers the 'E' wing (even if modified for your racer), while the PRXIX will have a 'D' (if that's the correct term) 'bowser' wing with a different construction for its unarmed and extra fuel tankage.

Still marvelling at the detail you've packed into that circular inspection hatch, and also wondering how the main hinge spigot mates to the brass leg stump.

All will be revealed, no doubt. Great, great work.

You can see on these the extra complexity of the one you are doing, If i get a chance I will go look at the 14 for you

http://www.aircraftresourcecenter.com/awa01/001-100/awa044-SpitfireMk9/00.shtm

most grateful as always Tony :)

so, only a little bit done as have been learning on my new toy...

223_zpszov76jeb.jpg

it's a micro-lathe and with the gear legs on the horizon, I thought it was about time I got one - it's a steep learning curve though..

I did make a few parts - Rib number 1 - or what can be seen of it - this is the innermost wall of the well..

WIP353_zps9yc9jswp.jpg

..also fixed most of the lining and a few riblets..

WIP354_zpsnupth8jj.jpg

..in both wheelwells..

WIP356_zpsbfeqhznk.jpg

WIP355_zpsbtzlhn0a.jpg

..and I cut out a dummy skin so I can try and limit my timewasting on things that genuinely will never be seen :)

WIP358_zpsijfkcjd2.jpg

WIP357_zpsb7jzhqox.jpg

gonna start on those pesky linings around the tyre area next, along with the mystery rib..

TTFN
Peter

I may have found the rib to make?

MV298A_zpsomi4pyrc.jpg

this is MV293 which Warbirds Registry gives as:

Serial #: MV293
Construction #:  6S/649205

Model:  Spitfire FR Mk. XIV

Built at Supermarine's Keevil facility, late 1944

Serial #: TZ138
Construction #:  6S/676505

Model:  Spitfire FR Mk. XIVe

Built at Aldermanston Factory

seems to be the same type, was built earlier going by the serial number so hopefully represents TZ138?

I hate not knowing :)

TIA
Peter