I'm In!

I started painting, but got so tired that I was getting sloppy..so I stopped. Should've stopped much earlier, but I don't have much time for modeling lately...

The green looks too green, but that will sort out when I apply some post shading/clear coat/washes...

I was going to mask to get a hard edge, but freehand is so much more fun. BTW, Tamiya's bendable tape is remarkable! I think this one's freehand camo is little more tighter (or will be) than the Mk IX.

(Edit: LOL, looks like I broke off the that connector on the rudder. I hope I can find it!)

ziZ4qL1.jpg

Edited by Shaka HI

Max...recall, it's my feeble attempt at black basing. I don't have the patience for it, but this particular black primer makes much easier for me to free hand the camo because I can see the paint build up much easier.

Camo is finish, I'll let the paint dry a bit because I've noticed that the grey color below lifted when I removed the masking tape.

f5Utld1.jpg

sVkkupf.jpg

I think the black primer creates a kinda fidelity to the finish, but I might be just talking out of my a$$...I'm not sure how, but I forget to mask/paint the band while painting the spinner. Crikey!

If there's any tips to using the Montex masks...please advise!

(And WHY did I not scratch the seat armor or use the left over Tamiya one in the cockpit?!?!?)

QxL9Wpo.jpg

Edited by Shaka HI

No real tips about the masks Shaka except don't press them down too firmly until you're sure of their position - they will, or more accurately could distort slightly if you try to lift to re-position.  However, once they're in place be sure that the edges are firmly in contact with the paint surface to prevent leakage or seepage - I just usually go round with a finger nail!  Spray as lightly but evenly as possible, you don't want a rim to your roundels.  Apart from that it's easy!! :)

Max

I think the black primer creates a kinda fidelity to the finish, but I might be just talking out of my a$$...I'm not sure how, but I forget to mask/paint the band while painting the spinner. Crikey!

If there's any tips to using the Montex masks...please advise!

(And WHY did I not scratch the seat armor or use the left over Tamiya one in the cockpit?!?!?)

Not Montex but the same thing, this is how I tackled RAF masks on my Typhoon, http://forum.largescaleplanes.com/index.php?showtopic=50763&page=2

Cheers

Dennis

Not much done, just getting the paint mixed/tested. I've bought these plastic bottles in bulk and have been using them to store custom paint. Just drop a few into the airbrush cup while painting...easy peasy, nothing messy!

1zVjR4N.jpg

I think I'm more confused at what's the best way to use these masks? Paint from the inside/out or outside/in. Both seem to have advantages. I used Inside/out for the easy roundels on top of the wings because I don't end up distorting/offsetting the masks, but remasking the area painted has to be done very precisely; otherwise there's a gap or overlap which is fairly visible....as you can see in my sample.

Regardless once you use masks, you never go back to decals/transfers! These masks are easy to distort -- so soft and pliable that I wish they were a bit stiffer, of course I'll feel the exact opposite when I mask the bottom later...C'est la vie...

Regardless, they look way better than the decals (that, I've applied)!

3fi6Vwe.jpg

Shaka, those wing roundels look fine.

I don't think it makes a difference if you start with the innermost element or the outermost one. It's personal preference. Me, I prefer to with from the inside outwards.

I just finished these not 5 minutes ago.

IMG_20160426_235934.jpg

I have a bunch of pics if you're still interested in a step by step.

Carl

Edited by BloorwestSiR