I'm In!

You've got some lovely, though subtle (as it should be) tonal depth in your paint Shaka, very good indeed! I'm not a great fan of using Future/Klear, it's only purpose as far as I am concerned is to provide a good base for decals to avoid silvering etc but since I paint my roundels Klear becomes an unnecessary complication.

Max

Thanks Gents...Misted the dull coat. Not too thrilled with the canopy as the masks lifted and paint has gotten through, but it's possible to correct. I'll need to take more time and effort to masking the clear parts. It can really ruin everything. More weather will commence -- Later.

v2aOqEP.jpg

Looking good Shaka.

I've found that the black vinyl that Montex uses for their canopy masks doesn't conform very well. Unless the panel is completely flat, they start to lift from the edges, especially on something like a blown canopy.

Sounds like you'll be able to make touch ups so that's a good thing.

Carl

I tried to use Liquitex Matte Varnish, but just could not spray that thing without it frosting or getting it "puddled" so I went back to the obnoxious smelling Testor's Dullcote. I really wish I had other alternatives. I've experimented with Liquitex and W/N Matte Varnish's, Future /w Tamiya matte-thingy and always end up with Dullcote. There's nothing I can get locally and/or shipped at the moment.

Looks good Shaka, Agree with you regarding those Montex canopy masks.......I used a set on my HK Mossie and they where a complete pain!!, Regarding dull coats I have always used Xtracolor Flat varnish, works like a dream every time, there satin varnish is pretty good to.

Regards. Andy 

Seriously guys, I really do appreciate your comments. My attempt with using Tamiya's Weathering Pastels was a complete fail to simulate the exhaust/gun stains. I just did not like the effect. It looked a little too "harsh". So I used some mineral spirits -- not sure what you guys across the Atlantic call it, but I basically removed the Dullcote to remove the pastels. And I re-sprayed the Dullcote in those areas and this evening loaded up the air brush...VERY stressful for me -- thought this was supposed to be fun? And sprayed the exhaust and gun stains...Seem too perfect, but looks way better than the pastels.

I'll re-spray with a lightened color -- I used strait flat black and need to add some "randomness". But I think it looks far more convincing than pastels, up close. I used to be an art major and one of my professors told me I'm too "methodical" (*****), but I always knew she was right...

9aHggVc.jpg

More "soot" with lightened paint and a little "randomness"..LOL well, I tried. I'll sleep on it, but I've lost all the transparency of the original color...better photo with corrected WB...something's up with my camera (must be because I dropped it!).

EqZki9r.jpg

Edited by Shaka HI