Revell MkI

petrov27

• 4 weeks later...

Links were good MARU - thanks!

Finally had some time this week to work on models. It may be a bad idea but I am going to attempt to fit the Eduard cockpit into the old Revell - not real sure how good it will fit but we shall see!

The Eduard pit is some really nice resin

002_zpsrwmdrqim.jpg

And we have it in a sea of green

012_zpsug5vwxjb.jpg

Also started working the Revell fuselage; huge trench for sliding canopy has been filled as carefully as I could to not remove the delicate raised and recessed fuselage details. Also have thinned the inside walls substantially for the resin 'pit:

015_zpsymdpiax1.jpg

• 2 months later...

well I may not make the deadline on this but I have at least completed the Eduard "Brassin" cockpit. Probably the most difficult pit I have done - so many tiny bits. Also has some Barracuda decals and resin, HGW belts, Yahu instrument panel. At one point I demolished the seat and bulkhead it attaches to while trying to attach the eduard belts that are etched and very tough to get in place - got so upset when it all broke apart that the parts were thrown across the room. Still picked up the pieces and made repairs. 

Now the problem is that this pit in no way will fit the old Revell kit as I had planned. I shoulda known that and foreseen it, but I had thought thinning the old kit fuselage as much as possible that I could shoe-horn it in there. It doesn't look doable unfortunately. I do have the recent Revell release and though I am not fond of some aspects of that kit I will probably proceed with that as this pit was made for that kit to begin with...

019_zps6nixgydo.jpg

020_zpsgt6u2cbv.jpg

023_zpsmztrarjj.jpg

Patrick, that's an amazing cockpit! How well does it fit the old kit?

Kev

Not very well at all :) so I am going to use plan B which is the new Revell kit...

In retrospect, I think I could get the Eduard pit into the old kit but would need to not build it as complete "module" as Eduard would have you build it. I am thinking if I first had thinned the old kit plastic down as thin as I could, then thinned the Eduard resin cockpit sides, then glued those into the kit fuse, I may then have been able to tweak the bulkheads to get a better fit.

Thanks gents for the positive feedback on it though! I did fit it into the new Revell kit fuse and fit is OK. I managed to break the back bulkhead of the cockpit "module" while fitting - with the lightening holes that resin is super fragile...

Not glued in yet in the below - one thing to watch out for is the resin pit can push the sides of the fuse out just enough to make the rear canopy piece not fit

001_zpscdawxhgf.jpg