Academy USMC F/A-18 #12118 as CF188????

panzerrob

Dear all,

As the titel says, can I use Academy's USMC F/A-18 with kitnumber 12118 to build a Canadian CF-188?

I know a big challenge will be the Spotlight in the CF-188's nose, but are there more differences?

With regards,

Rob

Guest Smitty44

The kit which you speak of is a two seater "D" model. I have built several Academy models and they all had the light for the fuselage side as an option for the kit. I do believe one of the kits has Canadian markings, could be the Red Devils "A" boxing.

Edited by Smitty44

just realize there are differences between the "A" and the "C" models as well, i'm not sure which model the CF-188 is, but if you want some photos of some well worn Charlies I can hook you up, we don't have any Alpha's where I work anymore.

I think that the only visible differences are extra antennas on the tail fins on the C, so it would ne be too difficult to remove them if you need to build a A (or a CF-188 wich is basically an export A).

If needed, there is also an Avionix A cockpit set with the A tail fins included (i've made a review of this set a few months ago if you want to see what it looks like).

Your best bet would be the "Red Devil's" boxing as it comes with all the parts to do one of our updated birds. All Academy boxing's are the same except for certain parts pertaining to which version is in the box A+/C/D.

BTW nice Hornet Ron.

Don

However, for the F/A-18D, there are 2 different types of cockpit, the trainer version with double control, and the all weather fighter version, where the rear seat has 2 small sticks on each consoles and the control stick removed. The Academy 12118 has the AW version. I dont know how the canadian 2 seaters are fitted (i'd say they are trainer versions as they are B?)

Edited by Zero77

Hi all,

Thanks to all who replied!

The reason that I would like to build a D version is because I like the look of it, and I can get it (reasonable) cheap, $132 including shipping.

Cheaper then the Red Devils version anyway. And I have an extensive collection of Canadian decals!

And I'm not going for a 100% accurate model, but as I wrote already, the searchlight in the nose is a highly visible feature I want to include.

My jet spotting days are long gone so is my knowledge about jets, but every now and then I like to take a break from 1/16 panzer modelling and build a plane (like the Frogfoot a few months ago) and I only have a simple booklet about the F/A18.

So would any of you gentlemen who has a few CF188 parts  in their stash willing to sell these to me? Of course when they are not included in the kit!

With regards,

Rob

Hi Rob,

There are many differences to a Canadian CF-18B to the F/A-18D- including differences to a F/A-18B.  I have a build thread that should help with everything you will ever want to know here.  Sorry it's so long, but it took me over a year!

http://www.arcforums.com/forums/air/index.php?showtopic=196766

Cheers,

Chuck

Hi

Have you looked into the Kinetic boxing of F/A-18? It includes markings for two Canadian aircraft,

CAF - 409 - Cold Lake F/A-18A

CAF - Aerospace Engineering Test Establishment - Cold Lake F/A-18B

I don't know if the kit contains all necessary parts.

Right now you could grab it for 130usd with the 2usd shipping offer (and 10% discount on top) from luckymodel:

http://www.luckymodel.com/scale.aspx?item_no=KI-K3204

Br, Jani

Hi Jani,

Yep, I've seen the Kinetic offering and that's what attracted me to do a Canadian F18.

Unfortunately the Kinetic offering is more expensive then the Academy F18, and I like the look of the F18D.

With regards,

Rob