House of the Flying Daggers! Mirage Double Feature Italeri/Revell

dutik

Surprisingly I found the time to add some more details:

mirage20fro1f.jpg

Added all the square buttons and the last round switches. Filled all drilled out holes with punched out styrene disks to have the instrument faces at the same level.

Have to add the antiglare shields at the top before starting painting. There is also a square device on the right top that might be added after painting.

Regards

- dutik

Dry-fitting is the key to close the fuselage. It's also a nice idea to paint the inner side of the intake trunks first (gloss white) before adding the outer halves. Did so using white Gunze surfacer spray. Also check the fit of the bulkhead between the wheel well inserts. I had to trim mine somewhat at the sides, and to make cutouts for my extra styrene blocks.

mirage21s4ux4.jpg

Started gluing the upper and lower fuselage together and set them aside to cure.

Regards

- dutik

More useful stuff dutik - with you and Eric blazing a trail I'm making lots and lots of notes!  :thumbsup:

Nairobi? Sounds very exotic Karim!  :)

Iain

Iain i usually bid for this flight it is a very enjoyable layover, decent flight time to get there (6 horus) and the weather is very nice now !

exotic indeed my friend!!

While still working around the fuselage to get all mating areas glued one afther another I started making the drop tanks. The Dagger used 3 of the large winged type. Two each are in Revells and Italeris kits. Easy to name the better ones. But even the Italeri parts have some mold lines that need to be sanded. The pencil points this out:

mirage222pu66.jpg

Also the alignment pin on front doesn't help to fit the parts. I removed it and all worked fine. Photos when glue has cured.

Regards

- dutik

Fuselage closed and the first drop tank ready:

mirage23kbrha.jpg

There are a lot of minor gaps to be filled allaround, not to forget to remove the mold line mimicking a paneel at the back of the fuselage. The major area of concern are the intakes. There is a nasty step at the curvature above the intake that is not there on the real airplane:

mirage2470owo.jpg

Some serious action needed. There are also some minor gaps below and if you add the outer intake shell too, but these are manageable by inserting thin strip styrene.

Regards

- dutik

While filling and sanding seams I used the drying time of the putty to build an IP for the Dagger:

mirage258juqe.jpg

Left my IIIC, center my Dagger, right Isracast Dagger. I am using Fisher resins cockpit for the Dagger because Isracasts front part had some casting flaws. Fishers cockpit offers a nice PE board, but the Dagger IP from Isracast looked different, and lacking any sources I made a copy of this. It took me just 3 runs to get it finally right :whistle:

Still rescribing the Revell kit too. Made some dry fits of the bang seats in both cockpits. Fishers Mk.6 will go into Italeris IIICJ pit, but it is to high and needs to be sanded down from below. Isracasts seat is sturdier, more resin to be carved away to fit a pilot figure, so I will mate it with Fishers cockpit and the Dagger. It's a FLYING Dagger, right? Right! So it has to have a pilot in the seat :punk:

Regards

- dutik

The outer intake parts have two very large ejector marks that need to be filled and sanded to a smooth finish. Did so the last days. Lets pray that todays primer applicaion will reveal no more blemishes...

Also reengraved the sanded off paneel lines and rivets and added strip styrene to the "step" above the intakes:

mirage27o4jw1.jpg

Had a field day to provide Major Puga with a life preserver. Just in case he prefers to ditch into the South Atlantic. You never know... :hmmm:

Also had to fill some gaps left by grinding away parts of the seat cushion and by repositioning his legs to fit into the pit. Did so with Apoxie Sculp. My stuff is pretty old, 5 years or older, but still working. Great! My sculpting work comes only close to Michelangelos work, but I think it will do the trick... :whistle:

mirage26v0jqc.jpg

Regards

- dutik

Facing trouble:

One of the intake fronts (outer parts) is short shot, right at the small frontal peg, leaving a gap of 2 mm between the outer shell and the divider plate...

Hmpf! :deadhorse:

I will cut the parts edge straight and insert some styrene after mating the outer part with the divider plate, but this might affect the smooth inner surface of the intake. We shall see. Image to follow.

Regards

- dutik