House of the Flying Daggers! Mirage Double Feature Italeri/Revell

dutik

Was busy to prepare the garden for the winter (moving the barbecue and garden chairs into the garage, some repair work at the driveway and garden paths and so on) so no images today.

Here and here you will find the story of the Argentinan Mirage IIIC aircrafts. Enjoy!

- dutik

Added the wheel wells and blocked all the vents at the fuselage bottom. Also added reenforcements to all smaller parts and shot the seam around the front wheel bay with superglue and filler pearls. Did the same to the upper fuselage seam and the inserted intake trunks. I always do so, to prevent things coming loose over the time or seams splitting apart.

Also cleaned the mating surfaces of lower wing and fuselage of flash, mold lines, attachment points and that kind of stuff. It is minimal, but adds up to gaps and fit problems. Do not forget to check and clear the area around the main UC bay insert. Parts are interlocking, so it pays to dryfit everything until it fis like a glove:

mirage18pxsq1.jpg

The only part that didn't fit was the clear insert for the landing light, so I glued a solid piece of styrene behind the hole. Will paint it to look like a light and fill the recess with clear medium after the whole model was airbrushed. The clamps are still holding down my insert to achieve a smooth fit.

Here is my plan to build up fuselage and wings:

1. add the front instrument paneel (has to be corrected before) and front cover

2. join upper and lower fuselage halves

3. add lower wings together with a wing spar running across the fuselage to ensure proper horizontal alignment of the wings (and prevent droop over the time)

4. add the UC legs and remaining wheel well parts

5. fit the upper wing halves

Fin and rudder follow after this to have some access to the inside of the fuselage to get anything fit as well as to have some give or take while inserting the upper wings.

Note that I am not using Italeris engine but the resin insert from Isracast. This is made to glue in the (outer) rear end first and to blend it in as approriate with the inner exhaust to be dropped in through the rear opening at last.

Enjoy!

- dutik

Hi Dutik

One detail often seeing on Mirage photos staying on its place certainly for a moment, when the hydraulic pressure is downed (pump out of running for a time) => the x2 air brake are a little "opened", certainly due to the weigth of the lower one which drives the upper.

They were glued in place before the photo...

-

Well, fit at tight corners is so-so. You have to remove a bit of styrene to fit it without strain. Of course this is better than a "floppy" fit and the need to add putty or styrene.

Regards

- dutik

Edited by dutik

Started making a new IP, but with Eli Raphaels post of an IAF "CJ" IP I will wait till the question of the identity was solved. The posted "CJ" paneel doesn't show a radar scope, raising the question if this the IAF CJs were sold without radar or if the IP is from another subtype, E od 5.

Did some engraving at Revells kit, but there is left plenty more to do.

Regards

- dutik

p.s. Issue solved. Eli told that the CJ radar installation used "beeps" to direkt the pilot to target. So I will build my IP as shown by the images of the articles linked above.

p.p.s. Latest: It was not a Mirage cockpit, it was a Vantour...

Edited by dutik

Working at a new "Argentinian" IP for the IIIC now. Sounds easy, but drilling large holes into thin styrene sheet tends to rip apart the sheet. Anyway, guess that I will have something to show tomorrow <_<

Regards

- dutik

Cheese sandwiches! Yummy cheese sandwiches! Who wants a cheese sandwich?

mirage19qvarp.jpg

Difficult to portrait little sucker! :thumbsup:

Scapped off the styrene, cut a 0,5 mm sheet to fit, glued it in place and drilled the holes. The lower paneel is an insert. Both centre pieces got a 0,25 mm piece of styrene glued on top. The "globe" was sanded from styrene rod. If you watch close you may see a number of tiny buttons made with the smallest punch&die from 0,25 mm styrene and glue on one afther another. All square parts are still missing. Some buttons, switches and a block of warning lights at the upper right.

Thats it for this week. You know, family weekend :whistle:

Next week I will add the square parts, paint it and add decals.

Regards

- dutik

May I ask Harold of AMS Resin fame to enter the stage?

Thank you, Harold!

Here we go: The Fisher cockpit does not, I repeat: NOT fit the Italeri kit. At least not out of the box. The upper part of the rear cockpit slope is much tighter than the lower part. There is a visible "shoulder" or "waistline" that is not inside the rear cockpit slope of the Revell kit. But it is possible to fit the resin rear wall into by carving off some resin at both sides, where the rear wall is plain and empty. Overall width of the tub seems to be ok; or at least adjustable be carving off a small amount of resin from the outside.

Hope that helps. Didn't carve off the rear wall to make it fit because I want to use it with the Revell kit as intended.

Regards

- dutik

p.s. Still engraving the wings, adding putty where I slipped off or made scratches, and working ahead until everything is nice and smooth :tumble:

When I am able to secure one of the kits, I will see what i can do for the 'pit and wheels. Thanks for the heads up, dutik

Edited by LSP_Kevin