German F-104G - Norm83 wrap around lizard camo

Zero77

Thanks Airfixer !

I've made 3 tries for this one... the first 2 with alclad + chipping fluid + clear yellow tinted varnish, but i was not satisfied. So finally i went with standard creamy yellow acrylics and i did well. :)

This weekend i finished the painting + weathering + flat coat. It still need a few touch-ups (i noticed that when i unmasked the black intakes) but it's almost done.

20151123_023225_zps0gga3vea.jpg
20151123_023237_zps413kve6r.jpg
20151123_023254_zpsbidit2ra.jpg
20151123_023300_zpsstpofuun.jpg
20151123_023305_zpsgh7zs8ms.jpg
20151123_023319_zps0swkygbu.jpg
20151123_023309_zpsodq1qtay.jpg

I wanted to do a very slightly weathered aircraft as the Norm83 camouflaged 104 were pretty clean on most pictures. However, i did some light color variations with oils (mostly blue and yellow, and the yellow on the light green looked very nice !) and i'm a bit disapointed that it all disappeared when i applied the flat coat. On the other hand, some greyish brown washes that were almost not noticeable before are now too strong, and i think i'll have to overspray some areas to take them down. Color reactions with the varnish are sometimes quite unexpected...

The good point is that i learnd some new stuff, but still so much to learn !

Something else, at first i decided to build an aircraft with only fuel tanks and no weapons. But on some pictures i thought the small dummy bombs dispenser was so cute that i had to use one. So i ordered one at videoaviation and received it a few days later. Very good stuff at very good price and very nice service !

I built it while some washes were drying on the aircraft and here it is :

20151123_023244_zps1t9jquik.jpg

Thanks Mark ! About the white, if you're takling about the nosecone, it's just buffed Tamiya white primer. Great stuff indeed ! I think i'mm let aside Mr Surfacer and replace it with Tamiya primer (grey for the fuselage of course). And it's alcohol proof, while Mr Surface doesn't resist.

Nice work Nicholas! Judging from the pots in the background, can I assume that you are using Gunze paints - if so, what are the numbers as I find it difficult to match them up?

Regards,

Steve S. 

The colors for the Norm 83 scheme? They are all custom mixes. Here they are, from memory, so i hope i make no mistake :

Light green : H303 (60/70%) + Tamiya XF-71 (30/40%)

Olive / Bronze green : H309 (40%) + H64 (20%) + H420 (40%)

Black : Tamiya Nato Black (dont remember the number, sorry ! about 45%) + Gunze RLM70 (dont remember the number either ! about 45% as well) + a few drop of Tamiya X-18 to darken the mix, but not too much.

And the former olive green (from the former grey/green + siver underside german camo) for one of the underwing tanks and the bomb dispenser is made of H330 and gunze olive drab (the one dedicated to A-10 camo, dont remember the number).

Edited by Zero77

Well, I did not know that! I must test it out; I've been caught out with alcohol and Mr Surfacer before.

Kev

I was too !

However, i dont know if the tamiya primer would resist to a long dip in alcohol or a thouroughly rubbing, but it resist to a slight wiping with alcohol, and that's pretty useful when you have to erase a bit of acrylic overspray for example.

And i think it's a bit smoother than Mr Surfacer and can be buffed very easily to achieve a nice glossy finish. Very nice product ! Tamiya is not only number one for models, they also rule the game for hobby accessories and products.

Edited by Zero77

I was too !

However, i dont know if the tamiya primer would resist to a long dip in alcohol or a thouroughly rubbing, but it resist to a slight wiping with alcohol, and that's pretty useful when you have to erase a bit of acrylic overspray for example.

And i think it's a bit smoother than Mr Surfacer and can be buffed very easily to achieve a nice glossy finish. Very nice product ! Tamiya is not only number one for models, they also rule the game for hobby accessories and products.

Yeah, I like the Tamiya primers a lot, too. I use that and the Gunze products regularly. It's just a shame that Tamiya doesn't bottle its Fine primers, like Gunze does with Mr Surfacer.

For what it's worth, with many alcohol-soluble acrylics, I find Windex (ammonia-based window cleaner) works really well as a solvent, without damaging the underlying Mr Surfacer layer. That's generally what I use when doing any clean-up of overspray.

Kev

Yeah, I like the Tamiya primers a lot, too. I use that and the Gunze products regularly. It's just a shame that Tamiya doesn't bottle its Fine primers, like Gunze does with Mr Surfacer.

They do ! THat's what i used :

top.jpg

Thanks Kev for the windex tip ! I have to try that for degreasing before the paint job.

Edited by Zero77

They do ! THat's what i used :

top.jpg

Thanks Kev for the windex tip ! I have to try that for degreasing before the paint job.

Need to look for that one. Great product, and it sure beats the rattle can ... And the product is better than ANY white paint, on top of being a great primer.

Beautiful 104, Nicolas ! If I ever do my 104, it will be in Starfighters' civilian livery (at least that is the reason why I decided I could buy the Italeri kit ;) )

Keep it coming

Hubert