Revell 1/32nd scale new tool Spitfire additional images added

geedubelyer

Hi Doug and hworth18, thankyou for your kind words. I'm glad you like the Spit.

It's an interesting question Ron. I have n't noticed a particular lack of dihedral and it's not something that has cropped up on any of the other builds that I've followed :hmmm: That does n't mean it's not so though.

Your comparative image does appear different to the model pic but I wonder if it has more to do with perspective or viewing angle? In the next batch of pics I'll attempt to take more angles of the model for comparison purposes.

Good eyes that man :goodjob:

Edited by geedubelyer

Sorry, where has it been called unbuildable?  I havent seen anyone here say that, in fact, a few have actually been built here.

Great looking model and fantastic photography OP!  Looking forward to more pics.

Sorry, Doug, I'm not going for your bait. At least two folks got booted off this forum over the Revell kit. Let's just leave it at that.

Besides, you shouldn't be wasting time sparring with me here, don't you owe Fred B. a build review of that P-47? :innocent:

Edited by Bill Cross

So, to sum up.  I'd give my model 6/10.  There are elements that I'm pleased with. The pilot turned out well and is probably the focal point of the model. The exhausts don't look too bad and the gear legs look ok from a distance.

I am very disappointed in the paint finish. For me, this has ruined the model and is the reason for the mediochre score. It meant that I did n't feel confident in applying most of the stencil data for risk of silvering (you can clearly see how the stencils that I have applied have silvered) which has resulted in a bare looking model.

I also felt that the out of the box kit just had too many shape issues that required some work to get a more accurate outline plus some of the detail was quite crude, even at this price point. For instance, I re-made the pitot using scale calibre tubing because if the kit part was scaled up it would have been close to two inches thick. The untouched gear legs are a joke for something in this scale and unacceptable even if people argue how cheap the kit is.

Hi Guy!

I reserved my comments until I saw some close-ups and to be honest, I agree with your assessment, although I'd give this build a slightly higher mark of 7/10.  I'd also assign about 80% of that to the kit itself, because you had your hands full to begin with.  I would also give you a 12/10 for showing your model here, flaws and all, for others to see.  Most wouldn't do it, but when you have achieved a certain level of skill as a modeler that you have over the years, you gain a certain confidence and you have nothing to prove any more.  I liken it to watching a pro golfer miss an easy putt.  It makes me feel better since I do it all the time and in this case, it indicates that "geedubelyer" is human after all. Now get back to that Masterpiece Tomcat!

Cheers,

Chuck

Question: How did you get the glasses on the Pilot so real looking I can see through them like sun glasses?

Teresa  :)

Hi Teresa, thanks for the kind words. Glad you like the figure. The sunglasses were punched out of irridescent foil using a shaped "cookie cutter" type tool fashioned from squashed and sharpened brass tube. Scroll down to post#25 for some close-ups and post#28  for a better description in this linked WIP thread.

http://forum.largescaleplanes.com/index.php?showtopic=53966&page=2

Thanks Iain and thanks for the resin pilot head. Hope you like the result of your generosity mate. Much appreciated, cheers.

Hi Chuck, many thanks for the honesty. It's a pleasure to read your more than generous comments but I suspect if you were able to view the actual model you might revise your score to a 6 or lower. (Bare in mind I've only taken photos that show the model in it's best light.)

I suspect that my modelling skills are waning as I mature so I only hope that I don't fluff up the Tomcat after all of the hard work that's gone into it so far. I look forward to seeing your next update on the P-38 buddy.

Cheers.

Edited by geedubelyer

Hi Teresa, thanks for the kind words. Glad you like the figure. The sunglasses were punched out of irridescent foil using a shaped "cookie cutter" type tool fashioned from squashed and sharpened brass tube. Scroll down to post#25 for some close-ups and post#28  for a better description in this linked WIP thread.

http://forum.largescaleplanes.com/index.php?showtopic=53966&page=2

Thanks Iain and thanks for the resin pilot head. Hope you like the result of your generosity mate. Much appreciated, cheers.

Hi Chuck, many thanks for the honesty. It's a pleasure to read your more than generous comments but I suspect if you were able to view the actual model you might revise your score to a 6 or lower. (Bare in mind I've only taken photos that show the model in it's best light.)

I suspect that my modelling skills are waning as I mature so I only hope that I don't fluff up the Tomcat after all of the hard work that's gone into it so far. I look forward to seeing your next update on the P-38 buddy.

Cheers.

Oh geesh!  :doh:  Dont know how I missed that!! Thanks for the link!

The Pilot is so detailed and great! Glad you stuck this project out. :thumbsup:

Very interesting for sure.

Teresa  :)

Being a bit of a Spitfire buff myself, and speaking as someone who is currently building the very same kit I would like to add my two pennies worth...................

I just wanted to congratulate you on what I feel is a superb model built and finished in great style. The kit itself has come in for much criticism but I think it was a brave move by Revell to produce a new tool, low cost 1/32 Spitfire. Lets face it, good or bad there was market for it. 

You give yourself a 6/10 for this one, sorry but I strongly disagree. This is a 9/10 hands down anywhere, anytime. You should be very proud of this one, I certainly would. I have to mention that the detail work on this build is nothing short of spectacular! Well done and thanks for sharing a cracking build with the rest us!