Tan model F-111

Rob Colvin

Why on "earth" did they bury them in the ground. Have they not hear of pollution down there? I reckon recycling is totally possible?? Anyone an explanation?

The F-111C/G aircraft were classed as "strategic" and effectively "leased" to Australia and so theoretically had to be returned when retired, special dispensation being required for any retained as museum exhibits. Rather than spending the money returning them compliance was met by demilitarising and burying them. I believe they were drained and stripped of all potential HAZMATs.

Or so it was said.

I think the US DoD was paranoid.

Let's hope the Tan Model "biggies" go ahead as planned. I'm eager to see the Su-33 Sea Flanker, and an F-111A/E would be amazing, as would a Buccaneer S.2.

Tony

The 'strategic treaty' argument was used in relation to UK Phantoms too.

Prototype FGR2 XT852 rotted away in a field at West Freugh before being scrapped in 2011, despite many attempts to save and preserve her, because 'the treaty' wouldn't allow it. And yet there are quite a few preserved Spey Phantoms today in museums or other collections.

At the time it was said that the diligence or laziness of the Station Commander tended to be the deciding factor rather than international obligations toward fifty year old airframes of no interest to anyone except aviation lovers.

Yes, we can but hope. Probably only a few will emerge before several of us pass away, so I'm not recommending accelerating that process by holding your breath. But we surely don't need naysaying gloom either.

Lots looming on the horizon and lots in the stash. There is also usually instant subject gratification available in smaller scales - though the Hasegawa 1/72 F-111 series, the pick of the bunch, is hard to come by.

Tony

Well, anything is possible!

Would we have HK without the prior Wingscale psychodrama? I do not think so.

However, it is a hard fact that for a small company, supporting the burden of such investments is a real gamble... That is why I am waiting to see if this is not too good to be true.

I would be the first knocking on the door of the shop to get a large scale Brick, F-111 or Sea Flanker. No doubt about this but finally, this goes down to a business question, not a model or dream one, alas!