Tamiya 1/32 Nakajima A6M2 finished 6-13-17

MustangManiac

Although I have to be the odd man out, as I think the folded wing tips really detract from the smooth lines of the Zeke. I pretty much think any folded wings take away from the look and/or change it enough that it makes any pretty aircraft into something completely different.

It takes nothing away from a really awesome build however! 

I am inclined to think the same way. FWIW, I believe that land based A6M2's (which is what this A6M2 is painted to resemble, even though it may have been attached to a carrier) had their wingtips locked in the down position.  Since there is much more room on an airfield than a carrier hangar, the statement may hold true.  I don't have a reference for my belief right now but I do remember reading that someplace.  Someday, I'll come across is and remember this thread.  The bad thing is, it'll most likely be years from now.

I am inclined to think the same way. FWIW, I believe that land based A6M2's (which is what this A6M2 is painted to resemble, even though it may have been attached to a carrier) had their wingtips locked in the down position.  Since there is much more room on an airfield than a carrier hangar, the statement may hold true.  

I was tending to think the same way. I was thinking about US carrier born AC like the wildcat/hellcat that became land based as the US moved closer to Japan. Having never seen a pic of any of those types of carrier born planes that were on an full airfield with their wings folded, tended to make me think similar or same for the Japanese land based planes. 

Yea I was wondering the same thing about the wingtips myself for the same reasons as you guys were. I was kind of wondering if it was even necessary to fold them on land. The good thing is the wingtips still haven't been glued in place yet they've only "posed" for pictures, so they can still be positioned either way.

Brady

I was in contact with Jefferson Deblanc who was a wildcat ace on Guadalcanal. I asked him about that and he stated the wings were locked. No need to fold them. .....Harv

Edited by Guest

Hello everyone,

I'm back with some progress, not a lot but some. I never thought this wash would take so much time....maybe I'm too picky too either way it's slowed me down a lot, but it's looking pretty good I think. 

IMG_20160531_173614_269_zpsvuozqkot.jpg

One place the wash process isn't going to be in my favor I'm afraid is where I filled and sanded the seam line on the belly of the tail cone and lost some detail before painting and my skills at doing rivets still aren't very good.

IMG_20160531_173709_461_zpsvjwdrmka.jpg

Ade is coming to my rescue on my broken canopy problem and is sending me his spare as we speak. One thing I didn't like too much about this paint I used was how much stayed with the Tamiya masks and not with the canopy parts when I took them off the broken canopy. I'm wondering if I need to go around each mask with a knife blade before removing them after I paint the good ones?

That's all I've got for now.

Cheers,

Brady

Hello everybody,

I think I'm finally done with the wash on the belly of my Zero. I did most of the wash on the belly with Dark Brown, a little Dark Grey was also used. This is what the bottom of the plane looks like now that it's completed:

IMG_20160602_020317_166_zpslmuqjqg6.jpg

IMG_20160602_020345_235_zpsuoxanxjh.jpg

Next I guess will be doing the wash on the top of the wings and fuselage.

That's all I've got for now.

Cheers,

Brady

Hey,

I'm back with an update, I worked pretty ambitiously last night and this morning on my Zero. As you saw in my previous post I completed the wash on the bottom side. This morning I completed the wash on the top of the right wing and started on the side of the fuselage, getting quite a bit done in one sitting. Here's what the top of the wing looks like now:

IMG_20160602_124817_111_zps6dq78uub.jpg

Hopefully more to come soon.

Cheers,

Brady