1/32 Kittyhawk F-86D

One of my all-time favorites, Kittyhawk keeps hitting home runs on what I want! 

The Dog Sabre is overall a really nice kit - a few problem areas fit-wise like the main wheel wells and tail assembly, but some test fitting and trimming fixed it all. 

Built straight from the box (not sure if any AM is even available yet), painted with AKI Extreme Metals - see my new thread in the Models Discussion section about AKI paints - and kit decals. The F-86D was my father-in-law's first operational assignment with the 62nd FIS (or 63rd FIS) but I haven't found any decals for his squadron, so I went with the box top scheme. I see that Zotz just released a sheet right after I committed to this one though - rats!

Here she is:

F-86D%2001.jpg

F-86D%2003.jpg

F-86D%2005.jpg

F-86D%2007.jpg

F-86D%2009.jpg

F-86D%2011.jpg

More pics to follow.

Cheers,

Mark

Mark,

What a GORGEOUS, STUNNING Kittyhawk..

you did an AWESOME job..

:wow:

:wub:

:bow:

Thanks Maru!

Great looking Sabre Dog! I like it. :)

Thanks John!

Now that is how you build and finish a Sabre Dog! Looks superb!

Thanks Tango!

Very nice lookin' Dog Mark!

How did you find the general fit overall? I have this kit in the stash but have yet to see a WIP thread.

Cheers,

Wolf

Hi Wolf,

Fit is not bad, there are a few spots to watch for. The main gear wells will not fit in the assembled wing as depicted in the instructions. If you build the wells and attach the bottom fuselage piece to the wing, do not pre-assemble the wing halves then try to slide onto the wells. Assemble the wing halves onto the fuselage/main well assembly. I will do it this way on my next -D. I had to trim the heck out of the wells to fit the wings onto the fuselage because I pre-assembled the wing halves. Trimming the wheel wells will later cause fit issued with the gear legs.

I would also recommend fitting the main gear trunnion (the pivot point, not with the leg attached yet) when assembling the main wheel wells, it will fit better that way. The main gear legs can be slid in during final assembly with no problems.

The only other fit issue was the aft fuselage, the bulkhead fit to the forward fuselage is good but the two pieces they have you glue to the bulkhead will cause fit problems with sliding the aft fuselage on.

The only other thing about assembly is a few parts trees are lettered wrong (or the instructions got them wrong), i.e., part E21 is actually on the G tree. I don't have the instructions handy for the specific part number mismatches, but by looking at the tree layout in the instructions you can easily figure it out.

Other than that, it was a fun build. Don't think Tamiya, much better than Special Hobby, about like current Revell or Trumpeter for fit and detail. Not bad at all for a new company!

Cheers,

Mark

Thanks for the heads up on the potential problem spots with the build. I've been dry fitting some pieces and while some seem to fit really well, others have small gaps with will need to be addressed with styrene shims or filler. Should be as you've suggested, a fun build.

Cheers,

Wolf