1/32 Trumpeter EE Lightning F.Mk.6 XS904

Derek B

If it's lacquer-based, then there's a good chance you can thin it with Mr. Color Thinner (Leveling or otherwise) or Tamiya's lacquer thinner. You can probably use either of those to clean the airbrush too, but generic hardware store lacquer thinner is much cheaper for that purpose.

Kev

2 hours ago, Derek B said:

I cannot find any information of how to thin or clean it after use? The bottle does state that it is lacquer based, so has anyone any experience of using it and more importantly, what to use for cleaning the airbrush after use please?

I don’t know about the black base but according to AK’s own literature, Xtreme Metal paints are enamel. :hmmm:

24 minutes ago, quang said:

I don’t know about the black base but according to AK’s own literature, Xtreme Metal paints are enamel. :hmmm:

This was my understanding as well, so with the product stating that it is lacquer based, it has confused me (very easy to do, I know!). :) 

lYYYmhY.jpg

Derek

3 hours ago, scvrobeson said:

I believe I read recently that AK was changing the formula from enamel to lacquer for the Extreme Metals

It could be a good thing because I always found that while offering very convincing metal tone renditions, the Xtreme Metal range lacked some durability due to its enamel nature.

And like @GusM said, it’s best to avoid the black base which takes an eternity to harden if ever.

I watched a noted reviewer on YouTube who told a gullible me that I can apply the AK black base in successive wet coats, and  even flood it, because of its astonishing self-levelling abilities.

JUST DON’T… unless you want a melting X-15 in your hands. :BANGHEAD2:

I’d love to use some of the AK stuff, I even have some bottles of panel line wash, but it scares me to death because I don’t know what it’s made of and I just don’t know how it’s going to react with MRP paints etc.  They really do need to “clean their act up” and add some clarity about their products. I’d say avoid Derek….but what do I know! 

PS Much better pictures! :clap2::P

Edited by mozart

1 hour ago, mozart said:

I’d love to use some of the AK stuff, I even have some bottles of panel line wash, but it scares me to death because I don’t know what it’s made of and I just don’t know how it’s going to react with MRP paints etc.  They really do need to “clean their act up” and add some clarity about their products. I’d say avoid Derek….but what do I know! 

PS Much better pictures! :clap2::P

This my fear as well Max!

Cheers

Derek

3 hours ago, quang said:

It could be a good thing because I always found that while offering very convincing metal tone renditions, the Xtreme Metal range lacked some durability due to its enamel nature.

And like @GusM said, it’s best to avoid the black base which takes an eternity to harden if ever.

I watched a noted reviewer on YouTube who told a gullible me that I can apply the AK black base in successive wet coats, and  even flood it, because of its astonishing self-levelling abilities.

JUST DON’T… unless you want a melting X-15 in your hands. :BANGHEAD2:

Now I am worried that I have wasted my money! What I need a bulletproof black base and polished steel paint system to finish my Lightning! (being retired, I also have limited funds, so cannot simply buy the latest craze either!).

Cheers

Derek

1 hour ago, Derek B said:

I need a bulletproof black base and polished steel paint system to finish my Lightning!

Bulletproof? IMO none other than Mr Hobby/Mr Color Super Metallic Colors II.
Rather restrictive range but very durable and forgiving. And you don’t even need a black base

4 hours ago, quang said:

Bulletproof? IMO none other than Mr Hobby/Mr Color Super Metallic Colors II.
Rather restrictive range but very durable and forgiving. And you don’t even need a black base

Hi Quang,

I have the original Mr Hobby (Mr Color) Super Metallic metalliser (buffable) colours (I have used these on my Lightning undersides). Which type of black base coat would you recommend for the shinier colours?

I may use SM04 Super Stainless for the back of the aircraft and either SM06 Chrome Silver or SM07 Plate Silver for the intake ring (I have no idea what the difference is between these last two, so perhaps someone could tell me before I select one?).

Many thanks

Derek 

Edited by Derek B