Revel and Hasegawa Fw 190F-8 kits - a comparison

D Bellis

Thanks for all of this info and the comparisons ... I think you have got yourself a job for any and all future competing kit releases :coolio:

You're quite welcome, and thank you! But, I'm not likely to invest the time to go through all this again. ;)

If so, perhaps not surprising if they were added retrospectively (?) from "kits" perhaps made in different places?

Maybe.

Great info to have. After all is said and done it looks like all we really NEED is a corrected prop and spinner to make the Revell kit look really good (along with a few adjustments that can be accomplished by most model builders). How about it Jerry Crandall? :)

Hey John;

Just now seeing this...yes our spinner and props should work on the Revell kit. The backplate is fixed onto the spinner and we supply a drill jig to center the hole to fit the kit prop shaft.

http://www.eagle-editions.com/eagleparts-fine-cast-resin-parts-to-update-or-modify-model-kits/1-32nd-resins-for-fw-190-ta-152/fw-190-a-spinner-and-large-wooden-prop-blades-ep-47-32.html

We also offer the weighted props and common props .

Judy for Jerry Crandall

Hello,

Thanks guys now I can see the light :) some scribing then.

And I must say that I actually don't belive that stuff with   the"axle trouble" and I have never read anything about problems in review builds, that started when Eduard realesed their very nice gear legs for this kit .

Cheers

Boris

I glued the wheels to the axle on my test shot and the axle melted and the wheel drooped. 

It's true. It happened. 

At this point, there was no Eduard set. When I posted in my Eduard review about the thin axles on the Revell kit, I did it from experience.

The axle is painfully thin. Someone suggested using white glue. That would be an option if you don't want the Eduard legs. 

Edited by JamesHatch

Hello,

James I just glued the wheels together and glued in the gear legs on my kit and I did it with Tamiya thin ,and there was no problem with anything, so tell me please what did you glue with there is absolutly no need for white glue,maybe you got a bad kit or something.

Cheers

Boris

Hello,

James I just glued the wheels together and glued in the gear legs on my kit and I did it with Tamiya thin ,and there was no problem with anything, so tell me please what did you glue with there is absolutly no need for white glue,maybe you got a bad kit or something.

Cheers

Boris

Hi Boris,

I used the same cement, but this was a test shot. The plastic was darker and didn't have the same qualities as Revell's usual plastic, but the production kit axle is still the same diameter as the test shot.

Nice work D on setting up the comparison shots.

It's a bit of "six of one and half a dozen of the other" with these two. I suspect price and availability will dictate a lot of purchases.

As I've got a few Hasegawa 190s I'm less interested in the Revell kit. However, one thing that hasn't been mentioned and which should give the Revell an edge in this area is the lack of separate inserts for the under wing gun panel. The Has part can be a bit of a pig to clean up - whereas Revell seem to have achieved a level of 'near invisibility' with the inserts they use for different panels. On the Spitfire they aren't visible on the outside - only becoming apparent when you look on the inside of the wing.

I'm looking forward to see one of these go together on here.

Matt

One aspect not mentioned is the control stick. It really looks too skinny. Fortunately, it is easy and cheap to replace with a Quickboost resin one.

I agree. I haven't check my production kit yet, especially against the test shot I built. 

For my next, I'll be bunging the new Eduard pit and gun bay into it.

http://legendsintheirowntime.com/FW190/FW190_draft.pdf

Here is a link to a Fw 190 Design Analysis (with illustrations) article published in Aviation magazine, October 1944.  Also included is an article on the gear retraction unit published in March 1945. 

This link just redirects to a blank page for me.

Kev