Ground Pounder in 1/48th

Wolf Buddee

Martin and I had gotten together tonight and we started to talk about the days were we had built armour models. I had dabbled in armour many years ago when I had an extensive collection of Bandai 1/48 scale models and they were quite good kits as I remember. A couple of years ago I decided to have another go at a Tank kit so I picked up Tamiya's 1/48 King Tiger with the Porsche turret. The box photos showed the model covered in Zimmerit coating so I thought that was what I was getting. Nope! So i closed the box and in to the stash  it went. Along came Cavalier who suppled the Zimmerit coating in resin so out came the kit again and the photos show the results. You can see I'm certainly not an accomplished armour modeller but all the same I think it turned out Ok. It's obviously a factory fresh Tiger II 'cause it still has all it's fenders and tools.  :whistle:

Maybe I should stick with planes eh?

Cheers,

Wolf

KTiger5.jpg

KTiger6.jpg

KTiger7.jpg

KTiger8.jpg

Looks great Wolf. I see absolutely nothing "wrong" about a tank having all its tools, it lends visual interest and some tanks died so fast they never got to lose any  :)

Great Job! 

Paul 

Looks pretty good to me Wolf!

Kev

Thanks, Kev, it was a nice diversion from my usual AMS builds!

Cheers,

Wolf

Wolf

Surely a nice piece of armor and just the way I like 'em

Peter

Thank-you Peter. This was my first crack at using MIG filters and weathering powders. The weathering powders were used quite extensively on the road wheels and tracks and it turned out better than I expected.

Cheers,

Wolf

Looks ace to me Wolf and more importantly it sounds as if you had fun building it.  How did you go using the resin zimmerit?  I hope you indulge yourself with other of these 1/48 scale kits as I think they are pretty kick ass.  

Dan

Hi Dan, it was indeed a fun build. The resin zimmerit was attached to the model with 2 part 5 minute epoxy. This gave me plenty of time to position it. The only tricky part was cutting the zimmerit sections for the sides as they are supplied as full height sections which cover the location holes for the side fenders. If I got the cut wrong I'd have gaps between the zimmerit and the tops of the fenders.

Cheers,

Wolf

Looks great to me.Well done.

Thank-you Erwn!

Cheers,

Wolf

That is a beauty!These Tigers went straight to the front and did not get too battered and bruised, so yours looks spot on!Excellent work :)

Thanks HL-10, I know that in most cases these tanks had a rather short life but I think mine lacks a certain "grunge" build up that would have been prevalent during the waning days of winter and early spring of '45.

Cheers,

Wolf

Wolf,

Looks like you had great fun building it and  you have not lost your touch have you..

Its simply A BEAUTY...Love the camouflage painting and it is surely worthy of winning a GOLD.. :bow: :bow:

SUPERB job.. :wow: :yahoo:

Wolf thank you for sharing it....  :thumbsup:    any more in the pipeline...  :whistle:

Thanks Maru, you are too kind! Gold though, I think there are far too many others that have taken armour modelling to an art form a quantum leap above my humble efforts. :)

Cheers,

Wolf

Fine looking model, besides the zimmerit is it OOB ?

Thanks Martin, essentially yes. The only other enhancements were that the various hatched had their grab handles removed and new once were made with copper wire. I also replaced the electrical conduit for the headlight as the original one had to be removed to attach the front upper hull zimmerit.

Cheers,

Wolf

Nicely done. The tools look fine, but remember, guys, these tanks WERE new when delivered from the factory.

The decals over the Zim look excellent. Cavalier Zim is very good, but Atak is better. :innocent:

Thank-you Bill. The decals are kit supplied with lots of Mr. Mark Softer decal solution to get them to snuggle in to the zimmerit. I've never heard of Atak but I'm thankful that I found the Cavalier zimmerit as I wouldn't have had the courage to use putty and a small screwdriver to replicate the coating. Too lazy might very well be another excuse. ;)

Cheers,

Wolf

You build good looking targets Wolf.

I haven't built a tank in years!

Thanks Ron. I really did find this kit a fun diversion and with almost all things Tamiya it was straight forward to assemble. The length and link track assemblies were the only tricky part as I found that once assembled they were quite a tight fit. If you want to take a crack at a tank build without going nuts the Tamiya 1/48 kits are the ticket. I keep looking at them every time I pass by them at my LHS.

Cheers,

Wolf

(Now it's back to decaling the Pfalz :))